PDA

View Full Version : LCM Zones?

swimshark
June 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Any one know if anyone is bidding to host LCM Zones this year?

pwolf66
June 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I think the answer is no one. Which is a serious bummer.

tjrpatt
June 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I think that there would have been an entry form by now. Last year's LCM Zones was so much fun. Then again, Maybe something will happen at the last minute.

swimshark
June 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Huge bummer. I know there is a bid for SCM Zones at the Freedom Ctr but the weekend isn't the best - Thanksgiving weekend. But it's better than nothing.

It's sad that we can't get anyone to bid on LCM Zones.

tjrpatt
June 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Huge bummer. I know there is a bid for SCM Zones at the Freedom Ctr but the weekend isn't the best - Thanksgiving weekend. But it's better than nothing.

It's sad that we can't get anyone to bid on LCM Zones.

Who bids on the meet, the Aquatic Center? The only places to have it in PA are Bucknell and Penn State but I don't think that alot of people want to go to the Middle of nowhere, PA for a meet. Of course, it might be beneficial for the upstate New York crowd. But, whether it is in Central PA or DC, it will still be 2.5 to 3 hours to get to from Philly. There is a pool in South Jersey to have it but it doesn't have a warmdown pool and everyone loves the warmdown pool.

swimshark
June 16th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Usually a team has to bid on a meet but I don't see why a pool couldn't bid. As long as someone wants to lead as in being the meet director, it wouldn't matter who actually bids. In the case of the SCM Zones, it's the masters team at the Freedom Ctr that bid.

By the way, I'd love to swim at Bucknell. My parents both graduated from there :)

tjrpatt
June 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Usually a team has to bid on a meet but I don't see why a pool couldn't bid. As long as someone wants to lead as in being the meet director, it wouldn't matter who actually bids. In the case of the SCM Zones, it's the masters team at the Freedom Ctr that bid.

By the way, I'd love to swim at Bucknell. My parents both graduated from there :)

It looks like a really nice facility. They have alot of Age Group meets there. Our Summer Senior Champs are there. I was going to go but the meet goes from Wed to Sat.(WTH!!). I can understand this schedule for Sectionals or Nationals but a Senior Champs. Crazy!

swimshark
June 17th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Four days is a lot! Are there trials and finals?

KEWebb18
June 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
This greatly disappoints me. I had hoped to get in another LCM swim meet this summer! I guess that I will just have to save my speed for another meet :D

tjrpatt
June 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Four days is a lot! Are there trials and finals?

Oh yeah! I guess that they a spread it for a distance events or something. There were other local meets that started on thursday to Saturday. Just very inconvenient for the older swimmers and the parents who have to take the swimmers to the meets.

pwolf66
June 17th, 2009, 01:18 PM
It looks like a really nice facility. They have alot of Age Group meets there. Our Summer Senior Champs are there. I was going to go but the meet goes from Wed to Sat.(WTH!!). I can understand this schedule for Sectionals or Nationals but a Senior Champs. Crazy!

Actually, think about it. A typical 4-day (there are several that occur in PVS) meet runs Thursday thru Sunday. Except this weekend Sunday is Fathers Day so it sounds like since school is out they shifted it a day earlier. Not that unusual.

tjrpatt
June 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Actually, think about it. A typical 4-day (there are several that occur in PVS) meet runs Thursday thru Sunday. Except this weekend Sunday is Fathers Day so it sounds like since school is out they shifted it a day earlier. Not that unusual.

Our Second Champs are in late July so the schedule is odd. I guess that they do because it is in Nowheresville, PA and this way, with the meet ending on Saturday, people can use Sunday to get back home or something. Thursday through Saturday could have been semi-ok.

pwolf66
June 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Our Second Champs are in late July so the schedule is odd. I guess that they do because it is in Nowheresville, PA and this way, with the meet ending on Saturday, people can use Sunday to get back home or something. Thursday through Saturday could have been semi-ok.

Except that Th-Sat is only three days and depending on the size and scope of the meet could be very hard to fit Trials/Finals in three days.

tjrpatt
June 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Except that Th-Sat is only three days and depending on the size and scope of the meet could be very hard to fit Trials/Finals in three days.

I think that the 4 day Senior Champ meet thing is a new thing in my LSC. It isn't done in the winter and it sure wasn't done when I was coming up. Now that I remember, they had a thursday night 1000 free, then three days of prelim/finals. This meet is 4 days of prelim/finals. It is not a big deal because it was too close to Nationals.

talne621
June 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Where is the Freedom Center? Are we sure that they put in a bid for SCM zones.

swimshark
June 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Freedom Center is in Manassas, VA. Near 66 and a great pool. Yes, they put a bid in. I spoke to the person who submitted the bid.

tjrpatt
June 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Freedom Center is in Manassas, VA. Near 66 and a great pool. Yes, they put a bid in. I spoke to the person who submitted the bid.

Plus, it is near the Potomac Mills Mall. Is that mall still pretty nice?

swimshark
July 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Freedom Ctr is about 40 min away from Potomac Mills Mall. Yes, it's still pretty nice. I don't get there as often as I want since it's about an hour from me. But when I do go, I always find bargains. Plus.. Ikea is there :)

The Long Ranger
July 1st, 2009, 11:54 PM
No Zones really bites! Do you know if anyone has suggested a series of meets covering all of the events, including the 800, 1500, and 400 I.M.? In this economy, travel is an issue. At the same time, there's no 1500, anywhere, other than the N.E. Championships, and that falls at a time too close to our children getting out of school, etc. Even if each place ran a segment like the six meet series in Maryland! (One weekend, just the 800 & 1500 on a Sunday morning, the 400 I.M., 200 breast, 50 back, 100fly another venue and week, etc.) Most of Colonies gets closed out on competing the longer events during LCM unless they go to Nationals or NE!

swimshark
July 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
No Zones really bites! Do you know if anyone has suggested a series of meets covering all of the events, including the 800, 1500, and 400 I.M.? In this economy, travel is an issue. At the same time, there's no 1500, anywhere, other than the N.E. Championships, and that falls at a time too close to our children getting out of school, etc. Even if each place ran a segment like the six meet series in Maryland! (One weekend, just the 800 & 1500 on a Sunday morning, the 400 I.M., 200 breast, 50 back, 100fly another venue and week, etc.) Most of Colonies gets closed out on competing the longer events during LCM unless they go to Nationals or NE!

That's a really good idea. Cause I'm looking and no meets near here are offering anything more than the 400 free. I want the 800 free. Grrrr. Not having a LCM Zones is frustrating. Mason people??

I talked to Cy today about the SCM Zones bid. Change in the bid. He will not bid as Zones but as a meet on Thanksgiving weekend. So it looks like we might not have a Zones bid for SCM :badday:

tjrpatt
July 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
That's a really good idea. Cause I'm looking and no meets near here are offering anything more than the 400 free. I want the 800 free. Grrrr. Not having a LCM Zones is frustrating. Mason people??

I talked to Cy today about the SCM Zones bid. Change in the bid. He will not bid as Zones but as a meet on Thanksgiving weekend. So it looks like we might not have a Zones bid for SCM :badday:

NO LCM Zones does suck. I would have liked to do an indoor 200 LCM Back but I am all filled up for Indy. It is a shame that the Terrapins aren't having their 1500/800 meet. You can do the 1500 and gets splits for the 800 and 400!! I did my first ever 1500 at a USA-S and what a fun event! I know, I am a distance dork. But, having a lot less turns is like heaven.

swimshark
July 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
= But, having a lot less turns is like heaven.

Im right there with you!!

The Long Ranger
July 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Or...since we can't seem to get support on the 1500 & 800 events to the extent we'd like...perhaps our leadership can reach out to USA Swimming and partner with them to open up the qualifying times to allow a heat or two of Masters. As it is, I was looking at local USA meets, the closest of which that I could find, is University of Maryland. The problem is, in the senior division, the qualifying times are about a minute too fast for this 57 year old male! If they could adjust the times, let's say, to match the USMS Nationals qualifying times, they'd make more on registration, they'd solve our issue, and here's a novel concept...they may even encourage parents in the stands to become participants!

(I've reached our to the local USA Swimming organization a number of times, and have been ignored.)

I hope you get your 800!

tjrpatt
July 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
look at USA-S meets in the Middle Atlantic region. There were alot of LCM meets that had the 800 and 1500 that didn't require QTs. Of course, some of the longer stuff is on Friday. I did the 1500 at a USA-S meet and I didn't need a QT time or had one. Word of advice, go to meets with the Senior/13-14 session. You really don't want to do the 10 and under/Senior session. Maybe they have some non-QT meets on the Maryland USA-S Swimming site.

The Long Ranger
July 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hey, Swimshark!

Is there any forum where we can send out an electronic survey to everyone who competes distance to see if they would want to a) have a distance LCM meet and b), if we can organize it ourselves? Perhaps, we can ask someone like AT&T, or Verizon, or Southwest Airlines to sponsor the event in exchange for advertising. The "AT&T Long Distance" series, or something along those lines. I've digressed. There are some cool pools to compete the 1500 & 800 in. There's the Goodwill Games Pool in Uniondale, New York, Hofstra University pool in Hempstead, NY, Princeton, Rutgers, University of Maryland, George Mason, and probably more.

As it is, even if we go to Nationals, we're always the "stepchildren." Have you ever noticed how we always get scheduled on the day after everyone else has gone home, or before the short events get started? We're the people who always have to pay for extra days of hotel stays, burn more vacation days, etc. Don't you love it when you have to check in, in person, on Wednesday, then compete the 800 and 1500 on Thursday and Friday, with the remainder of the events starting on Saturday...or even better...the 800 on Thursday and the 1500 on Monday! If we're not competing sprint events, it's very common to sit around the Saturday or Sunday, in a strange city, wasting the weekend and the money on the hotel stay, waiting for Monday to roll around.

In asking in my LMSC, I am often asked, "Why are you so in love with the 1500?" Well, why are they so in love with the 50 breast, or the 100 free? It's preference. We almost need to have special, regionalized distance meets. Maybe, this is something, if there are enough of us, we can organize on our own!

Where would we start?

tjrpatt
July 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hey, Swimshark!

Is there any forum where we can send out an electronic survey to everyone who competes distance to see if they would want to a) have a distance LCM meet and b), if we can organize it ourselves? Perhaps, we can ask someone like AT&T, or Verizon, or Southwest Airlines to sponsor the event in exchange for advertising. The "AT&T Long Distance" series, or something along those lines. I've digressed. There are some cool pools to compete the 1500 & 800 in. There's the Goodwill Games Pool in Uniondale, New York, Hofstra University pool in Hempstead, NY, Princeton, Rutgers, University of Maryland, George Mason, and probably more.

As it is, even if we go to Nationals, we're always the "stepchildren." Have you ever noticed how we always get scheduled on the day after everyone else has gone home, or before the short events get started? We're the people who always have to pay for extra days of hotel stays, burn more vacation days, etc. Don't you love it when you have to check in, in person, on Wednesday, then compete the 800 and 1500 on Thursday and Friday, with the remainder of the events starting on Saturday...or even better...the 800 on Thursday and the 1500 on Monday! If we're not competing sprint events, it's very common to sit around the Saturday or Sunday, in a strange city, wasting the weekend and the money on the hotel stay, waiting for Monday to roll around.

Amen! Amen! The relays should have been on Monday and the 1500/800 on Saturday so I could have left Sunday after my last event. Oh well, I will try to do some siteseeing on Saturday in Indy.

The Long Ranger
July 3rd, 2009, 11:28 PM
What site do you get your meet specific information, regarding the USA Swimming meets? I'd be looking at Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. How can you tell which ones don't have qualifying times? Everything I've seen seems to be "big time" stuff with seed times in the low 18's, high 17's.

A very big "Thank you" on this!

tjrpatt
July 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM
What site do you get your meet specific information, regarding the USA Swimming meets? I'd be looking at Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. How can you tell which ones don't have qualifying times? Everything I've seen seems to be "big time" stuff with seed times in the low 18's, high 17's.

A very big "Thank you" on this!

Go to http://www.maswim.org. Go to LSC Meets. Plus, check out http://www.mdswim.org Here is a link to get the links for all the LSCs http://maswim.org/Links.htm

Some meets has NTs. Look at the entry form closely I guess. There were meets at Penn State, Bucknell, GCIT and the Ephrata PA(near Lancaster) meet that didn't require QT times.

pwolf66
July 4th, 2009, 12:53 AM
depending on where you are and where you're willing to travel to:

www.pvswim.org (http://www.pvswim.org) - USA-S
www.pvmasters.org (http://www.pvmasters.org) - masters
www.virginiaswimming.com (http://www.virginiaswimming.com) - USA-S
www.vaswim.org (http://www.vaswim.org) - masters

swimshark
July 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Shadow, I don't know of a way to get a survey out to all Zones members myself. I'm fairly new to this Zone (joined last Nov) but try your Zone reps and see what they could do. They are here to help all of us. I think your ideas are good.

I agree with you about the distance events being the step-children and being set off from the rest of Nats. I don't go to Nats most years so it doesn't bother me much but if I went on a regular basis, it would. THe order of events is set by the Championship Committee, I believe. Contact some of those members and request a change.

As for USA-S, you can enter any meet that has NQT. I do a few a year. Just, as Tom said, go for the 13-14/senior events. Right now they are going in to their championship season so most if not all of their meets will be with QT's. But earlier in their season they are open meets. Their LCM season starts in April, though so you have to jump in early. And they don't have a SCM season. I wish they did to give us more opportunity to compete in SCM.

tjrpatt
July 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM
As for USA-S, you can enter any meet that has NQT. I do a few a year. Just, as Tom said, go for the 13-14/senior events. Right now they are going in to their championship season so most if not all of their meets will be with QT's. But earlier in their season they are open meets. Their LCM season starts in April, though so you have to jump in early. And they don't have a SCM season. I wish they did to give us more opportunity to compete in SCM.

USMS is ahead of the curve on the SCM front.

Chris Stevenson
July 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM

I know you said they won't bid for zones, but are the Freedom Center people still planning on having a SCM meet on Thanksgiving weekend?

swimshark
August 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM
I know you said they won't bid for zones, but are the Freedom Center people still planning on having a SCM meet on Thanksgiving weekend?

Yes. I talked to him yesterday and he was mailing in the bid.

pwb
August 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Yes. I talked to him yesterday and he was mailing in the bid.

Is that a good / fast pool? Better than or equivalent to Rutgers?

Warren
August 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Is that a good / fast pool? Better than or equivalent to Rutgers?

The freedom center is 13 feet at the start end and about 7 at the bulkhead. And it's a very nice facility.

swimshark
August 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM
The freedom center is 13 feet at the start end and about 7 at the bulkhead. And it's a very nice facility.

Yes :) And about 8 years old. I have never been to Rutgers but I'd say it's a fast, fast pool. Until recently, I had my fastest 100 free time there and it was during practice.

tjrpatt
August 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Is it true that SCM Zones will be at Flushing Meadows? I saw it on the NY Masters website.

swimmieAvsFan
August 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Is it true that SCM Zones will be at Flushing Meadows? I saw it on the NY Masters website.

unless they bid for the official zone meet, they're just calling it a zone meet... which means it's just another meet, and no zone records can be set...

last thing i had heard was that no one had bid for the official meet, but that may have changed. thought i doubt it, because there is no mention of it on the colonies zone website...
:2cents:

Betsy
August 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I think our zone rep, Debbie Moran-Norland, has received a bid from NY for SCM.

swimmieAvsFan
August 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM

ah, thanks for the info betsy. i'll ask her at practice tomorrow...

swimmieAvsFan
August 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM

the official word from the zone chair is that they're intending to bid for scm zones, but, as of yesterday (aug 15), they had not yet submitted the bid. so the meet is not technically the zone meet, yet...

hopefully that changes in the very near future!