PDA

View Full Version : Gil Young Memorial/NW LCM Zones Gridge Thread

That Guy
June 18th, 2009, 11:38 PM
http://www.swimoregon.org/forms/meets/09LCMZones.pdf

I entered 5 events, all on Sunday: 200 fly, 100 free, 100 fly, 200 breast, 400 free. I've never done the 100 free or 200 breast in LCM so lifetime bests are anticipated :D

Who's going? What are you swimming?

knelson
June 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Obviously you were afraid to race me. I'm only swimming on Saturday. :)

I entered the 200 free, 800 free and 200 IM.

Allen Stark
June 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I am swimming the 50 and 200 BR for sure and maybe another event.The big race for me though is on Sat-the 200 Men's MR.We should have a hot team and I can't let the other guys down!
That Guy-see you in the 200 BR(I hate that race,but I am good at it so I'm doomed to swim it-like Sisyphus pushing the rock up the hill,which is what the last 50 feels like.)

That Guy
June 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Allen, FYI, I'm going to draft off you :angel:

Oh, and just so everybody knows, it's true! Kirk is really scary!

swimmj
June 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I signed up for the 100 breast, 50 fly, and 200 IM on Saturday and the 100 free, 100 fly, and 400 free on Sunday. I do have company that weekend, so may have to skip one day if the company needs entertaining.

I think you all are too fast for me, so no fear that I will be beating any of you.

--mj

pwolf66
June 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.swimoregon.org/forms/meets/09LCMZones.pdf

I entered 5 events, all on Sunday: 200 fly, 100 free, 100 fly, 200 breast, 400 free. I've never done the 100 free or 200 breast in LCM so lifetime bests are anticipated :D

Who's going? What are you swimming?

How about a virtual one??? I'm swimming this weekend in the Terrapin Cup at Univ of MD. How about a best under seed in the 400 free??????

thewookiee
June 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
How about a virtual one??? I'm swimming this weekend in the Terrapin Cup at Univ of MD. How about a best under seed in the 400 free??????

That Guy.........take the bet!!!!! Wolf will have to take a 5 minute rest break at every turn after the 100 meter mark.

swimshark
June 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I signed up for the 100 breast, 50 fly, and 200 IM on Saturday and the 100 free, 100 fly, and 400 free on Sunday. I do have company that weekend, so may have to skip one day if the company needs entertaining.

I think you all are too fast for me, so no fear that I will be beating any of you.

--mj

You go, new web master!!

swimmj
June 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
You go, new web master!!

Wow, you are well informed! And thanks, I will go as fast as I can :)

--mj

That Guy
June 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM

I am intrigued, but need more detail. What did you seed yourself with? I entered with my tapered & shaved time from LCM Nats last year, 4:49.81.

Guy, That M35 PNA 4:39.90 4:49.81
33.73 1:10.45(36.72) 1:47.74(37.29) 2:25.35(37.61)
3:01.38(36.03) 3:37.55(36.17) 4:14.01(36.46) 4:49.81(35.80)

pwolf66
June 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I am intrigued, but need more detail. What did you seed yourself with? I entered with my tapered & shaved time from LCM Nats last year, 4:49.81.

Guy, That M35 PNA 4:39.90 4:49.81
33.73 1:10.45(36.72) 1:47.74(37.29) 2:25.35(37.61)
3:01.38(36.03) 3:37.55(36.17) 4:14.01(36.46) 4:49.81(35.80)

I entered my current Masters best time (as I always do). I wasn't shaved or tapered but it was swam in a tech suit.

pwolf66
June 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
That Guy.........take the bet!!!!! Wolf will have to take a 5 minute rest break at every turn after the 100 meter mark.

Uh-huh. But I might have to take a break after each 100 to ice my shoulder if this keeps up. It hurts like He77 right now.

That Guy
June 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I entered my current Masters best time (as I always do). I wasn't shaved or tapered but it was swam in a tech suit.

OK, you're on! I see you've done the event once before and posted 5:39.31 so I guess that was your entry time. Whoever does better versus their entry time wins... uh... what's riding on this? Fake money :2cents: or fake beer :chug:? Or, what's behind door #3 - fake Canadians!!! :canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:

pwolf66
June 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
OK, you're on! I see you've done the event once before and posted 5:39.31 so I guess that was your entry time. Whoever does better versus their entry time wins... uh... what's riding on this? Fake money :2cents: or fake beer :chug:? Or, what's behind door #3 - several fake Canadians!!! :canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:

Woot, I got a live one!!!! :angel:

Hope my shoulder holds up cause I'm hoping to challenge the 5:00 mark :D

That Guy
June 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Aw crap, where's the sandbagger smiley???

tjrpatt
June 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Woot, I got a live one!!!! :angel:

Hope my shoulder holds up cause I'm hoping to challenge the 5:00 mark :D

I think that you will be able to do that.

pwolf66
June 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Aw crap, where's the sandbagger smiley???

Sandbagging? What is this sandbagging of which you speak?????

It's NOT sandbagging. It's my best time in the event as a Master. Just cause it was the first time and I swam it like a warmup swim has no bearing on the situation.

:angel:

Honest

thewookiee
June 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Sandbagging? What is this sandbagging of which you speak?????

It's NOT sandbagging. It's my best time in the event as a Master. Just cause it was the first time and I swam it like a warmup swim has no bearing on the situation.

:angel:

Honest

He swims it as a warm-up because if he swam it as a race, he would be gased after the 75

Muppet
June 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
He swims it as a warm-up because if he swam it as a race, he would be gased after the 75

I think you're giving at least 30m too much credit there. :canada:

This will be interesting to see - I think we could see some in-pool fireworks from Mr Wolf.

thewookiee
June 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I think you're giving at least 30m too much credit there. :canada:

This will be interesting to see - I think we could see some in-pool fireworks from Mr Wolf.

Jeff, we beat up on wolf too much for his lack of ability to swim past 55 meters, so I was trying to give him some confidence.

But, if you think there will be fireworks, please remember to record the swim or get blue muppet to do it if you can't.

swimshark
June 20th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Wow, you are well informed! And thanks, I will go as fast as I can :)

--mj

I know and see all. heehee. Actually, I help the vice chair still by doing the entry forms so I still see what is going on with the board.

swimmj
June 21st, 2009, 10:54 AM
I know and see all. heehee. Actually, I help the vice chair still by doing the entry forms so I still see what is going on with the board.

Very cool of you to still help out. Hope you have a great summer!

--mj

pwolf66
June 21st, 2009, 04:17 PM
OK, you're on! I see you've done the event once before and posted 5:39.31 so I guess that was your entry time. Whoever does better versus their entry time wins... uh... what's riding on this? Fake money :2cents: or fake beer :chug:? Or, what's behind door #3 - fake Canadians!!! :canada::canada::canada::canada::canada:

I bow to you as you have won the gridge. My shoulder gave out and as a result I scratched my last 2 events , one of which was the 400.

That Guy
June 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
I bow to you as you have won the gridge. My shoulder gave out and as a result I scratched my last 2 events , one of which was the 400.

What am I supposed to do with all these Canadians?!?

Srsly though, sorry about your shoulder. I hope you feel better soon. I don't see any results posted yet (http://www.terrapinmasters.org/2009TerrapinCup.htm); how did you do in your first 3 races?

In preparation for my 400 in 3 weeks, I've started increasing the amount of freestyle that I do in practice. Since I'm not doing any backstroke or IM this meet, I can decrease those in practice for a little while in favor of freestyle. To get ready for that other event, today I did a 200 fly (SCY). After biking, swimming, lifting, and running for over 2 hours yesterday, I was tired and sore today, so that 200 fly was slow, but I finished it. And afterward I descended 8x50 fly on 1:30. Next Sunday I'll shoot for at least a 250, and then at least a 300 the Sunday after that, to get myself ready for the kind of overall stroke count that I'll be doing in the 200 LCM. To get ready for the 200 breast, I've been trying to get my kick consistent... it's anything but consistent at the moment... :badday:

swimshark
June 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
That Guy, what was your time? I was disappointed that Wolf had to pull out of the 400 free as he was supposed to swim next to me. I was ready for a race :)

MJ, how did your swims go?

That Guy
June 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
That Guy, what was your time? I was disappointed that Wolf had to pull out of the 400 free as he was supposed to swim next to me. I was ready for a race :)

once again i have borrowed carlos time machine
and i am posting from the future
nw zones were july 10 through 12
that guy broke multiple world records
and now refers to himself in the third person
swimmj and allen stark set personal bests
knelson swam great although he was all alone in each of his events
since his competitors were too scared to race him

aquageek
June 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Gridge hijack - I get to have my ass kicked by Shepuff this weekend at the State Games of NC. I'm doing the 200 and 400 free and then, like some idiot, attempting the 100 back again. The last time (and allegedly the one and done time) I did the 100 back, Fort was on the deck doing the chicken dance gloating over her impending victory.

For The Wookie - a 400 meter race is four times 100 meters, no breaks in between 100s. I can draw a diagram if you need me to. I realize this would be your workout for a month but some of us can swim continuously for more than :38 seconds.

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2009, 04:06 PM

For The Wookie - a 400 meter race is four times 100 meters, no breaks in between 100s. I can draw a diagram if you need me to. I realize this would be your workout for a month but some of us can swim continuously for more than :38 seconds.

Dear Wetdiaper,

Thank You for the clarification of the 400 meter freestyle race. I had no idea. I am pretty sure I can swim continuously for more than :38 seconds, as I compete regular(that means a lot) in the 200 back/200 breast(more like swim..my times aren't competitive)
Do you think you could do a 200 backstroke...without stopping every 25 to whine like a child about how you suck at the event?

Justin Ritter
June 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
This brings up a question I've had for a while. What are zones? I understand that they're the biggest meet that's smaller than nationals but is there something official which makes a zones meet a zones meet? I just ask because I see it come up often, about various zones meets around the country, but we never seem to have them here. Is that because pacific is so large that it's its own zone? Is our zones meet the pms championships?

Just curious.

aquageek
June 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Do you think you could do a 200 backstroke...without stopping every 25 to whine like a child about how you suck at the event?

If I wouldn't get DQ'd that would actually be the only way I could swim that event.

200 breast? Since when did that stroke/distance become legal and sanctioned. Do you swim it with a noodle?

The Fortress
June 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
and then, like some idiot, attempting the 100 back again. The last time (and allegedly the one and done time) I did the 100 back, Fort was on the deck doing the chicken dance gloating over her impending victory.

but some of us can swim continuously for more than :38 seconds.

Despite your rapid improvement this year, I'm thinking I'll still take you down in the 100 back. I just need to convince myself that it is actually a worthwhile endeavor to race continuously for more than :38 seconds in long course.

CreamPuff
June 22nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Boy, after reading this thread I realize that the one thing I'm really missing out on when training with the kiddos is the smack talk. And Fort's chicken dance! Geek, I fully expect some fabulous competition out of you!

swimshark
June 22nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
This brings up a question I've had for a while. What are zones? I understand that they're the biggest meet that's smaller than nationals but is there something official which makes a zones meet a zones meet? I just ask because I see it come up often, about various zones meets around the country, but we never seem to have them here. Is that because pacific is so large that it's its own zone? Is our zones meet the pms championships?

Just curious.

Justin, the map here shows you the zones that are in USMS.

http://www.usms.org/comp/calendar.php

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM

200 breast? Since when did that stroke/distance become legal and sanctioned. Do you swim it with a noodle?

Well, it's not really a stroke, more like comic relief for most of the crowd watching but seeing how I can't get my body and mind to come together as one to swim freestyle, it's the next best alternative after backstroke.

aquageek
June 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Boy, after reading this thread I realize that the one thing I'm r Geek, I fully expect some fabulous competition out of you!

Fortunately for you, my much faster teammates will be there to give you the race you deserve.

Oh yeah, Fort can shake that money maker when beer is on the line!

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Boy, after reading this thread I realize that the one thing I'm really missing out on when training with the kiddos is the smack talk. And Fort's chicken dance! Geek, I fully expect some fabulous competition out of you!

If you expect serious competition from geek, then you will need to let him have his tricycle....otherwise, you will treat him like a dusty rug on a clothes line.

Justin Ritter
June 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Justin, the map here shows you the zones that are in USMS.

http://www.usms.org/comp/calendar.php

Cool, thanks. How come there's no Oceana zone meet?

aquageek
June 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
... on a clothes line.

I'll translate this for all the folks that don't live in rural Tennessee circa 1823, this is where Wookie hangs his sasqatch pelt at the end of the day after harvesting alfalfa and sticking it to his barnyard friends.

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
sticking it to his barnyard friends.

"You might be a redneck if, you think Silence of the Lambs is what happens when Geek walks out to the barn"

swimmj
June 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM

I will be swimming July 11th and 12th. How did your 400 free go? Bummer to have an empty lane next to you.

--mj

swimshark
June 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Cool, thanks. How come there's no Oceana zone meet?

My guess would be that no one bid on one. So far in the Colonies Zone we don't have a LCM Zone Meet, either.

swimshark
June 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I will be swimming July 11th and 12th. How did your 400 free go? Bummer to have an empty lane next to you.

--mj

400 free felt great!! I was hoping for the 5:30 range and came in 5:26. Very happy since I've switched teams and have been training very hard lately.

Good luck in July.

Allen Stark
June 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
once again i have borrowed carlos time machine
and i am posting from the future
nw zones were july 10 through 12
that guy broke multiple world records
and now refers to himself in the third person
swimmj and allen stark set personal bests
knelson swam great although he was all alone in each of his events
since his competitors were too scared to race him

I just got out of the time machine and That Guys races were amazing,but I thought it was cheating to get into the time machine during the race.It sort of messed up the touch pads when you appeared at the finish of the 200 BR 5 sec before you got on the blocks.I've checked the rules and can't
find a rule against it so I guess your
-22.67 will stand.

swimmj
June 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
400 free felt great!! I was hoping for the 5:30 range and came in 5:26. Very happy since I've switched teams and have been training very hard lately.

Good luck in July.

Nice swim! I'm also hoping to go about 5:30 in the 400 in July. We will see how it goes. Good job on the training lately - the race proves your hard work is paying off.

--mj

That Guy
June 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
I just got out of the time machine and That Guys races were amazing,but I thought it was cheating to get into the time machine during the race.It sort of messed up the touch pads when you appeared at the finish of the 200 BR 5 sec before you got on the blocks.I've checked the rules and can't
find a rule against it so I guess your
-22.67 will stand.

I guess it was a bit over the top when I high-fived myself.

That Guy
June 27th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Gridge hijack - I get to have my ass kicked by Shepuff this weekend at the State Games of NC. I'm doing the 200 and 400 free and then, like some idiot, attempting the 100 back again. The last time (and allegedly the one and done time) I did the 100 back, Fort was on the deck doing the chicken dance gloating over her impending victory.

According to http://www.ncsports.org/sgdetail.php?id=27, this happened today, but I don't see any results posted yet. How did it go? Any chicken dance, limbo, or YMCA?

That Guy
July 13th, 2009, 03:02 AM
This meet was today (from my perspective). I saw results posted that said that knelson did some fast swimming at the same location yesterday though. Swimmj and AnnG swam great. Allen Stark swam a Zone record in the 200 breast! I botched my chances to draft off him by entering with an unrealistic 2:55, so I ended up in the heat after Allen, and went much slower than him. I went 3:07 which would have made top 10 in my age group last year, but looking at the Nationals psych sheet, I doubt it will this year.

For me the day went like this: I did a 200 LCM fly, and then for some reason, I swam 4 more events. The 200 fly went pretty well: 2:25.76 (32.99, 37.04, 37.34, 38.39) for a 5.70 difference between 100's. I was hurting on that last 50, and especially the last 15 meters, but hey it wasn't a piano... I didn't break the PNA record of 2:25.09 though... I have 3 more years to crack that one. Dennis Baker beat me by 18 seconds. I can't help but think that if I had taken a couple more SDK's off the final wall, it might have only been 17.5 :banana:

Then I did the 100 free and the 100 fly, and my 100 fly time ended up faster than my 100 free :blush:. Then there was that 200 breast, and honestly I don't know what the hell I was doing; my kick changed every few strokes. Finally there was the pwolf gridge, the 400 free. I cruised the first 200 meters like usual, but then when it came time to turn on the juice, I had nothing in the tank. I usually even- or negative-split freestyle races of 200 or more, but I don't think I did this time (haven't seen the splits yet since it was the last event of the day). I went a 4:56.xx so I was 6 or 7 seconds over my entry time. I'm quite certain that if pwolf could have hauled himself onto the starting blocks, he would have won this gridge easily.

Allen Stark
July 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM
That Guy did swim a great 200 Fly.I don't know how he swam anything after that,let alone basically all the hard events."No gas in the tank",I'd have had to jetison the tank by then.My big news is that we did get the WR in the 200 mens MR-2:04.44.We had that record from 2001 to 2005 and I REALLY wanted it back:bliss::bliss::bliss:

knelson
July 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Let's recap here. That Guy swam the 100 free, 100 fly, 200 breast, 200 fly and 400 free all in one session. A session that was probably something like three hours long. He deserves some kind of Ironman award for that!

I saw your 200 medley relay, Allen. It looked like you guys all had a fire lit under your butts. Nice job!

That Guy
July 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Let's recap here. That Guy swam the 100 free, 100 fly, 200 breast, 200 fly and 400 free all in one session. A session that was probably something like three hours long. He deserves some kind of Ironman award for that!

I saw your 200 medley relay, Allen. It looked like you guys all had a fire lit under your butts. Nice job!

Thank guys! When you're calculating my bravado/stupidity, also consider that I train in a 25 yard pool and only swim long course in competitions! I'm really really sore today...

knelson
July 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I was sore yesterday, too. I don't think it was so much the swimming as the swimming combined with driving close to 400 miles Saturday!

swimshark
July 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Wow, That Guy!! :bow:

Congrats on the relay record.

swimmj
July 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I can vouch that That Guy is really tough - he even stayed outside in the cold instead of inside the warm building for most of the meet. I did clue him into the hot tub at the beginning of the meet Sunday - outside it was 58 or so and drizzling. His 200 Fly was a great swim.

I was really pleased with my meet - 2 PR's yesterday in the 100 Free and the 100 Fly. I was most happy with the 100 Fly - I went out 1 second slower than at LCM nats last summer and went 1 second faster, so the 2nd 50 was not as much of a struggle. I mean, I knew I was going to finish the race as opposed to wondering if I would go vertical and then roll on my back and somehow exit the pool in great shame. I got to swim a 100 Fly Saturday on a relay (we set a national record by 21 seconds and then got DQed - DOH!) which was a great practice swim. My 400 free - not so hot. I swam it steady, but had nothing left.

Allen swam really well (congrats on your relay record!), as did many others. AnnG had a good meet and had her daughter there for Em's first masters meet - very fun.

The weather gods in Portland? Having a great time messing with masters swimmers. 102 at nats and 58 and raining yesterday. Better be prepared for anything....

--mj

That Guy
July 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I can vouch that That Guy is really tough - he even stayed outside in the cold instead of inside the warm building for most of the meet. I did clue him into the hot tub at the beginning of the meet Sunday - outside it was 58 or so and drizzling. His 200 Fly was a great swim.

Thanks MJ! Though I think your statement above works better as "That Guy is really dumb" for freezing my feet out there and not even knowing that there was a hot tub until you told me. Being very cold was the reason that my 100 free was slower than my 100 fly - after the 100 free debacle I started using the hot tub in short bursts to warm up, until finally I just gave up on being outside entirely. Inside, where the smarter people were all along, was much warmer.

mctrusty
July 13th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks MJ! Though I think your statement above works better as "That Guy is really dumb" for freezing my feet out there and not even knowing that there was a hot tub until you told me. Being very cold was the reason that my 100 free was slower than my 100 fly - after the 100 free debacle I started using the hot tub in short bursts to warm up, until finally I just gave up on being outside entirely. Inside, where the smarter people were all along, was much warmer.

As one of my friends always said, "if you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough."

swimshark
July 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Wait a minute, there is a hot tub at MHCC? Where?

DolphinGirl
July 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I was really pleased with my meet. I was a bit nervous, this was the first time I swam any distance since Nationals last summer. Since then, I've been suffering from shoulder problems and not working out quite as hard, and just a general lack of motivation. This was a bit of a test to see where I am, and it told me I'm in better shape then I thought :banana: I was 7 seconds off my best time in the 1500 from last summer, I'm perfectly okay with that. Saturday, my 800 free was a thing of beauty :) my splits were perfect and I dropped 22 seconds! Life just doesn't get much better :groovy:

swimmj
July 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Wait a minute, there is a hot tub at MHCC? Where?

One goes as if you are going into the men's locker from the indoor pool and there is a right hand doorway marked Hydrotherapy. It is about 104 and felt wonderful compared to the 73 degree competition pool and the 58 and drizzling with a breeze outside. And the competition pool was warmer than it often is - I've been in it when it's 70. I have to sit in the hot tub after practice if it's that cold - I just freeze. I told everyone who I knew was visiting and might not know about it. Best to jump in, get warm (less than 5 minutes) and get out. If you stay in too long, it drains energy from you, but I like to get warm and stretch a bit in the hot tub after a race cooldown when it's a cold meet. I had a PR in a meet there last summer for a 50 free and I totally had the mindset of ripping through my race as fast as I could so that I could go be in the hot tub and get warm. It was awesome motivation.

That Guy, I just assumed you were way tougher than I am. The bummer about being inside is that you don't get to see the races - you have to follow along and then go out to see and cheer for your mates. I almost missed my 400 free due to staying inside too long - I was strolling up and a teammate hollered to me that the heat before mine was finishing - I ran down the side of the pool, shedding clothes and putting on goggles. I thrust my pile of clothes at a friend and stepped up to the blocks. Not the best race prep.

--mj

swimmj
July 13th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I was really pleased with my meet. I was a bit nervous, this was the first time I swam any distance since Nationals last summer. Since then, I've been suffering from shoulder problems and not working out quite as hard, and just a general lack of motivation. This was a bit of a test to see where I am, and it told me I'm in better shape then I thought :banana: I was 7 seconds off my best time in the 1500 from last summer, I'm perfectly okay with that. Saturday, my 800 free was a thing of beauty :) my splits were perfect and I dropped 22 seconds! Life just doesn't get much better :groovy:

Sweet! Congrats on swimming so well. Hope that provides motivation to keep training.

--mj

knelson
July 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I noticed on the white board next to the indoor pool that the competition pool was 73 or 74 degrees and that was hard for me to believe. It felt cool, but not cold. I would have thought 78 or so. I never got in the indoor pool for comparison, though.

I was expecting the weather to be sort of hot Saturday. When I left Seattle at noon it was already getting up around 80, then the temperature actually went down the farther south I got. I think it was only 75 or so in Portland and really cooled off when the sun got low.

swimshark
July 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
One goes as if you are going into the men's locker from the indoor pool and there is a right hand doorway marked Hydrotherapy. It is about 104 and felt wonderful compared to the 73 degree competition pool and the 58 and drizzling with a breeze outside.

Darn, all those meets there and I never knew.

DolphinGirl
July 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Sweet! Congrats on swimming so well. Hope that provides motivation to keep training.

--mj

I am totally jazzed! The motivation level has definitely increased :banana:

Susan

swimmj
July 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I am totally jazzed! The motivation level has definitely increased :banana:

Susan

Very, very cool. I use meets to check in on how my training is really going and to hang out with my friends. They always motivate me. Hope your shoulders stay happy.

--mj

DolphinGirl
July 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hope your shoulders stay happy.

As long as I say away from butterfly LOL

tjrpatt
July 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM
This meet was today (from my perspective). I saw results posted that said that knelson did some fast swimming at the same location yesterday though. Swimmj and AnnG swam great. Allen Stark swam a Zone record in the 200 breast! I botched my chances to draft off him by entering with an unrealistic 2:55, so I ended up in the heat after Allen, and went much slower than him. I went 3:07 which would have made top 10 in my age group last year, but looking at the Nationals psych sheet, I doubt it will this year.

For me the day went like this: I did a 200 LCM fly, and then for some reason, I swam 4 more events. The 200 fly went pretty well: 2:25.76 (32.99, 37.04, 37.34, 38.39) for a 5.70 difference between 100's. I was hurting on that last 50, and especially the last 15 meters, but hey it wasn't a piano... I didn't break the PNA record of 2:25.09 though... I have 3 more years to crack that one. Dennis Baker beat me by 18 seconds. I can't help but think that if I had taken a couple more SDK's off the final wall, it might have only been 17.5 :banana:

Then I did the 100 free and the 100 fly, and my 100 fly time ended up faster than my 100 free :blush:. Then there was that 200 breast, and honestly I don't know what the hell I was doing; my kick changed every few strokes. Finally there was the pwolf gridge, the 400 free. I cruised the first 200 meters like usual, but then when it came time to turn on the juice, I had nothing in the tank. I usually even- or negative-split freestyle races of 200 or more, but I don't think I did this time (haven't seen the splits yet since it was the last event of the day). I went a 4:56.xx so I was 6 or 7 seconds over my entry time. I'm quite certain that if pwolf could have hauled himself onto the starting blocks, he would have won this gridge easily.

Good job on that 200 fly. Way to keep the last 3 50s pretty even. Thank gosh, I am not the only one who can go faster in the 100 fly than my 100 free. My 100 fly this weekend was a 1:09.64 while the first 100 of my 200 free was about a 1:09. yeah, the 200 breast is strange if you don't do it that often. But, I like to do it to help out my 400 IM.

That Guy
July 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Good job on that 200 fly. Way to keep the last 3 50s pretty even. Thank gosh, I am not the only one who can go faster in the 100 fly than my 100 free. My 100 fly this weekend was a 1:09.64 while the first 100 of my 200 free was about a 1:09. yeah, the 200 breast is strange if you don't do it that often. But, I like to do it to help out my 400 IM.

Thanks Tom! One problem I have with breaststroke is that I don't really know how to sprint. I mean, it's even worse than when I try to sprint in the other 3 strokes. I increase my cadence and hope for the best, but my kick starts going haywire. As a result of my cluelessness, I wasn't even tired after the 200!

Allen Stark
July 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I noticed on the white board next to the indoor pool that the competition pool was 73 or 74 degrees and that was hard for me to believe. It felt cool, but not cold. I would have thought 78 or so. I never got in the indoor pool for comparison, though.

I was expecting the weather to be sort of hot Saturday. When I left Seattle at noon it was already getting up around 80, then the temperature actually went down the farther south I got. I think it was only 75 or so in Portland and really cooled off when the sun got low.

It did seem 73 to me.I think for the first time ever in competition I noticed the water was cold.

BillS
July 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks Tom! One problem I have with breaststroke is that I don't really know how to sprint. I mean, it's even worse than when I try to sprint in the other 3 strokes. I increase my cadence and hope for the best, but my kick starts going haywire. As a result of my cluelessness, I wasn't even tired after the 200!

That Guy, Allen Stark would be only too happy to help you work on it this weekend: http://oregonmasters.ning.com/events/allen-stark-breaststroke