PDA

View Full Version : My LZR experience

lefty
June 20th, 2009, 10:37 PM
After three weeks of having the LZR in my closet I finally wore it in a race today! Here is how everything unfolded...

I was swimming two races today, the 50 fly and the 50 free. My best LCM Masters times are 28.60 and 25.60 respectively (both from 8 years ago when I was 25, wearing a FS1 jammer). In part for experimentation purposes I elected *not* to wear the LZR for my first race the 50 fly. Instead I wore an Aquablade jammer. Nothing special. When I got on the block for the 50 fly, it suddenly occurred to me that this was the first time I had been on a block to race in over 2 years. I must admit I got a little balky before the start so I was quite pleased when I touched and found that my time was 28.67 almost a Masters best.

At that point I was very excited. I was very confident that I was going to smash my Masters best in the 50 free figuring the LZR would give me a good .4 to.5 advantage. My goal (stated a few times on this website) was to go under 25 (something I haven't done in more than 10 years!).

I finally get the suit on and 5 minutes before my race I do an easy 100 in the warmup pool. My initial reaction to the suit was 1: the feeling in the legs was awesome 2: (but) I felt like there was water trapped in between my chest and the suit. That was annoying but I was so excited to finally race in the thing I wasn't worried.

I get on the blocks, have a good reaction time to the buzzer, but upon entry into the water my hands scissor. YUCK! It was not a horrible scissor, but at best I give my start a D+. I do my break out, feel acceptionally great in the water, power down to the end (still feel the water trapped by my suit) and read the clock: 25.63 Not what I was hoping for, but in light of the start mishap a satisfying time.

When Bousquet set the WR in the 50 free, he was asked about the suit and said "the suit didn't swim itself down the pool." I still consider that a pretty lame thing to say because the suit does have REAL value. However I was provided a little bit of perspective because, yes, you still have to execute if you want to be the best you can be. I have no doubt that, all things being equal, the LZR is faster than the Aquablade. But I also think that a perfect race (for me) in an Aquablade would result in a time faster than 25.63

I've also decided that I am going to buy a LZR Legskin because of the water trapping...