PDA

View Full Version : Modest fitness goals

GoggleEyed
June 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to get fit after a 2.5 years spell of sitting on my butt and eating ice cream and chocolate in-between regular meals. I vaguely remember feeling much fitter when I swam and rode my bike regularly, so I thought I'd get back into swimming.

I went to the pool yesterday. The 25m pool was booked out for kiddie lessons so I had to go and gently lower myself into the 50m pool instead to get my much awaited workout.

The good thing is that I remember how to swim. The bad thing is that I swam all of six laps in the 30 minutes allotted for my swim, and couldn't complete a single 50m length once - I had to stop in the middle of the lane and cling to the wall to get my breath.

However despairing the first swim has proven, I'd like to continue on the path to fitness. I know this may seem laughable for the folks on here who are much fitter, but what sort of "workouts" could you suggest for the likes of me? I know about the zero to 1 mile plan but I'll have to work up to that for some time I think as I can't as yet complete a single lap, and the workout starts with 100 yards straight!

Any help, advice, and jokes at my expense are much appreciated.

KEWebb18
June 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I think that finding a book will help you start out.
Check with your library to find some books on swimming.
For example, "Fitness Swimming" http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/11296.htm.
Hope this helps and good luck!

cathym
June 22nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Get some swim fins

FindingMyInnerFish
June 22nd, 2009, 09:45 AM
My running coach always uses the phrase "small steps" when I get impatient with my progress. And one masters swim coach used to head workout sheets with "Do the best you can do. Don't worry about what others are doing."

Give yourself credit for starting back, no matter how modest a beginning. It's still a beginning.

If you can wrest the 25m pool away from the kiddies at some point ;) that actually might be a better place for you to work so as to have the confidence boost of completing lengths of the pool. But even in the 50 m., if you stay on the wall lane, see how far you can go each time without stopping. If you stopped halfway, then aim to go a little more than halfway next time, and a little more the time after that.

Does your club have someone who can offer adult lessons, especially private lessons? An instructor might be able to point out ways that you can go further per stroke and do so more comfortably.

Don't worry too much about speed. Just set distance goals for now--and also, with the help of a swim instructor, some technique qoals.

Congrats on getting back in the game!

norascats
June 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Slow down. You're probably off your timing.
Swin as slow as you can and focus on breathing. Breathe out slowly and completely.
Instead of stopping, turn on your back and swim slowly.
Stay in the slow lane so you don't get run over.

GoggleEyed
June 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. Thinking back, I was going too fast at the beginning of the lap - so happy to be swimming again that I wasn't thinking about breathing. I have tons of equipment, books, DVDs etc., the problem is being able to swim comfortably any distance.

I'll take it slow and get some swimming lessons if it's the only way to get me some time in the 25m pool. I'm staying off the fins as they are addictive and it's far too easy to spend the entire time kicking on my back wearing fins rather than try and actually swim.

Thank you all once again for your help and encouragement.

frankiej
June 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Don't worry about it. I'm 20 and decently fit.

When I started swimming, which was only like a year ago I couldn't even swim a 25 yard free without stopping to rest. Now I can do 50m without a rest and not be gasping for air after the 50m.

I worked on intervals to get my endurance up. I started out with sets of 25's then when I could do those with "good" form I moved up to 50's. I shall continue to do so.

This is coming from someone who has never been coached in swimming so take it with a grain of salt. It worked for me though! Sets are getting easier and easier.