PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and a physical job

SwimMann
June 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
I was just curious if anyone has to balance training for swim meets and working a physical job. I'm going to school for construction and was wondering if anyone works in the construction industry and swims? i know if some construction workers found out I wore a speedo I'd get quite a bit of heckling! haha

Bobinator
June 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
I'm a PE teacher. I run around all day, trek outside (and back in) 12 X per day, climb the wall at least 12 X, and usually do the warm-up with all 12 classes. My advice is to eat alot and stay well hydrated all day long. I have a very short lunch break (less than 30 min start to finish) so I eat a good breakfast, anything I can at lunch, then have a healthy snack before my workout. If I'm really tired (hot outside) I either skip my practice or try to shut my eyes for 20 minutes before I swim.

tjrpatt
June 23rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
I have a friend that did Masters swimming and worked construction. I am guessing that he didn't talk about to his construction friends. Gosh, I haven't seen him in about a few months.

Glenn
June 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
I taught physical education for many years and did everything with all the kids. Traveled to 6 schools a day, in and out of the car, set up and break down 12 times a day.........very physical. I couldn't do morning workouts because I was at school by 7:00AM. I did afternoon or evening workouts usually with no problem. Had a big breakfast and healthy (most of the time) snacks during the day.

ViveBene
June 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Heckling anticipated over Speedo? Wear a jammer. Once or twice, so you can say you did, and maybe you'll like it.

They might actually respect you, if they found out you swam seriously.

Find different people to hang out with.
:)

humanpunchingbag
June 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
I was just curious if anyone has to balance training for swim meets and working a physical job. I'm going to school for construction and was wondering if anyone works in the construction industry and swims? i know if some construction workers found out I wore a speedo I'd get quite a bit of heckling! haha

Don't wear a Speedo. Or be proud of a physique that allows you to get away with it. I personally wear "boxer" style tight training suits and "jammers" for racing. My wife would disown me if I turned up in a classic "Speedo".

Lets face it: even many of the age-group swimmers cannot pull off wearing a nylon mini Speedo well. One of the true benefits of wearing a hi-tech body suit: compression of an otherwise generous physique.

stillwater
June 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Don't get old and you'll be fine.

SwimMann
June 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
I was just kidding around about the speedo wearing. I do wear one but the only people that know I do are the lifeguards and the few people that swim at the pool. I've been swimming there long enough that it doesn't really phase me to wear one.

Sleepy_Sentry
June 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I know a guy who swims laps several times a week and works for as a mover. If you're used to your physical job it's not a big problem, but he told me if he was swimming and had just started his job he would have had problems.

frankiej
June 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I do landscaping for my company (mow lawns, dig ditches, lay mulch and top soil) and swim laps right after work.

Its actually refreshing since the water is really cold and its like in the 80's everyday all day.
I love my jammers though, I don't look half bad in them either..haha.

Lui
June 26th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Normally I work in animation(not very physical).
If there were no jobs in animation I worked as a bike messenger. During that time I completely stopped swimming because after cycling 10 hours a day 5 days a week I just felt like relaxing.:bed:

mermaid
June 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I work at many pools during my never ending "work week" --
Teaching beginner swimmers, working with adults, water exercise classes, and pool maintence (pool tech), there are days where the thought of getting back into another pool (I get into as many as 5 different pools a day) is just not in the cards. However, once I have that relaxation time and am able to swim (sometimes just plodding along) I feel much better mentally and physically.
I eat a lot - snacking every 2 hours and large meals here and there.
It's not easy to fit a true workout in when you have a physically demanding job, but it can be done.

nkfrench
June 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
My team had a 32-year-old who qualified for Olympic Trials in 2000. He's a firefighter and we all really hoped that he didn't get called out to put out a fire during his taper before Trials. On his off days he used to do side jobs like lawn mowing, putting up fences, other physical stuff out in the summer heat. His firehouse schedule did interfere with his training but he did make his OT cuts, pretty impressive at any age.

Anyone that heckles you over The Speedo, invite them to race you while you wear your competition swimwear and they wear their jeans and construction workboots. Make the distance at least 100m.