PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post Website about DC Area swimming

tjrpatt
June 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Washington Post has set up at website just about DC area swimming.

http://www.reachforthewall.com

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/21486.asp?q=%3Ci%3EThe%20Washington%20Post%3C/i%3E%20Introduces%20ReachForTheWall.com%20Site%20D evoted%20to%20D.C.-Area%20Swimming

TRYM_Swimmer
June 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Great site and for all of you wear-what-you-want fanatics, read what Bob Bowman said about the new suit approval:

http://reachforthewall.com/2009/06/23/i-guarantee-it-will-not-be-a-level-playing-field/

Midas
June 24th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Great site and for all of you wear-what-you-want fanatics, read what Bob Bowman said about the new suit approval:

http://reachforthewall.com/2009/06/23/i-guarantee-it-will-not-be-a-level-playing-field/

He sounds like a paid shill for Speedo. And maybe he his. Certainly his boy Phelps is. He's just complaining because Phelps is stuck wearing the LZR despite better and faster suits being available. It looks like the new suit approval levels the playing field for everyone BUT the paid shills. Poor them!

I'd like Phelps to step up and be a man and race in his "inferior" LZR which "only" improves peformance by 2% against his clearly "inferior" competetion. :shakeshead:

JimRude
June 24th, 2009, 02:16 PM
He sounds like a paid shill for Speedo. And maybe he his. Certainly his boy Phelps is. He's just complaining because Phelps is stuck wearing the LZR despite better and faster suits being available. It looks like the new suit approval levels the playing field for everyone BUT the paid shills. Poor them!

I'd like Phelps to step up and be a man and race in his "inferior" LZR which "only" improves peformance by 2% against his clearly "inferior" competetion. :shakeshead:

word

mctrusty
June 24th, 2009, 02:51 PM
word

Seconded.

mctrusty
June 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I especially like the part where he said:

I feel the [suit provided by the company sponsoring us] is the fastest suit that reasonably represents what the sport is all about,

pwb
June 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
From the article ...

Bowman, who is under contract with Speedo, said ... I feel the LZR is the fastest suit that reasonably represents what the sport is all about, Bowman said. Some of these other suits are far beyond It just changes the whole mix. We dont know what to expect.

I'd love to see "fair balance" quotes from coaches under contract with the other suit makers about the unfair playing field with the LZR, the suit still worn by more world record holders than any other. What passes for critical journalism these days is laughable.

jim clemmons
June 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I feel the [suit provided by the company sponsoring us] is the fastest suit that reasonably represents what the sport is all about,

There's hardly any bias there whatsoever...

:confused:

bamueller
June 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
The more I read about it, the more I am thinking we should just do away with these full body suits and get back to the traditional briefs/jammers.

jim clemmons
June 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM
The more I read about it, the more I am thinking we should just do away with these full body suits and get back to the traditional briefs/jammers.

Briefs are "traditional", jammers are not. Jammers are relatively new on the scene, certainly newer than briefs. Taken to the extreme, one might argue that jammers got "lengthened" and eventually became full body suits.
:cool:

tdrop
June 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
bowman's concern is probably justified. his comments about the lzr, though, cannot be taken seriously. he sounds emotional. Michael and possibly Bowman himself are sponsored by speedo and there is nothing else they can say without getting into trouble.

these guys are stuck and now it gets serious.

KEWebb18
June 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
From a first glance, it seems to be all about the summer league teams. Then I read the piece about the NBAC and how they are having these "imported" swimmers.
I could never imagine my parents allowing me to split up the family in order for me to train at a better pool with a better team.

tjrpatt
June 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
From a first glance, it seems to be all about the summer league teams. Then I read the piece about the NBAC and how they are having these "imported" swimmers.
I could never imagine my parents allowing me to split up the family in order for me to train at a better pool with a better team.

I think that it is more a better team than pool. That pool is not the University of Tennessee or Auburn or Texas. It must be nice to be able to pack up and go to the best team around. But, I really don't get why people would commute from Bethesda to Baltimore for practice. Curl Burke is an excellent program. Plus, the traffic is insane on that route.

meldyck
June 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Briefs are "traditional", jammers are not. Jammers are relatively new on the scene, certainly newer than briefs. Taken to the extreme, one might argue that jammers got "lengthened" and eventually became full body suits.

Traditional depends on when you set the clock, Jim. I've seen 'traditional' body suits for Olympic swimmers from an earlier age. I know you've seen pics of these (e.g. Duke Kahanamoku) as well. Traditional is a full body suit in my mind. Briefs are what started the slide of the sport down this slippery slope....

TRYM_Swimmer
June 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Traditional depends on when you set the clock, Jim. I've seen 'traditional' body suits for Olympic swimmers from an earlier age. I know you've seen pics of these (e.g. Duke Kahanamoku) as well. Traditional is a full body suit in my mind. Briefs are what started the slide of the sport down this slippery slope....

Yeah, Mel, but those babies were definitely woven fabric, and were not form fitting!! LOL

To bring up another old name, Buster Crabbe did well in a brief for a few years in the mid '70s.

meldyck
June 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM
To bring up another old name, Buster Crabbe did well in a brief for a few years in the mid '70s.

Very few people are aware that Buster Crabbe was a master's swimmer and swam at some early USMS meets in Arizona that were held at Dan & Edie Gruender's home (3-lane, I believe) pool. I saw a news clipping or two about this among the memorabilia that the Gruender's used to bring to meets in Arizona.

SLOmmafan
June 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Sounds like Phelps is having the realization that he will be hard pressed to put up the numbers (in the 100 m free) of the "European boys". I mean, there is no shame in not being the fastest swimmer at every event swam in the water - and he is as close as anyone out there can come.

tjrpatt
June 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM
He doesn't need to put up any kind of numbers. I don't know if he will win the 100 free but even if he gets Top 8, it will be always because he is doing the almost impossible, going from a distance swimmer to a sprinter.

jim clemmons
February 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I saw Curl Burke has workouts at American University. Anyone reading that's familiar with the facility that can give me some tips to find it?

I'll be in DC Monday thru Thursday and am looking to get some workouts in while there. I'll be staying at the Renaissance on Connecticut, about 3 or 4 blocks from the White House (I believe it's about that far). Anyway, I saw workouts at 5:00am and 7:30pm, figure I'll taxi it but am wondering how hard it is to locate the pool on the campus.

Thanks for any help you can share.

swimshark
February 6th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I saw Curl Burke has workouts at American University. Anyone reading that's familiar with the facility that can give me some tips to find it?

I'll be in DC Monday thru Thursday and am looking to get some workouts in while there. I'll be staying at the Renaissance on Connecticut, about 3 or 4 blocks from the White House (I believe it's about that far). Anyway, I saw workouts at 5:00am and 7:30pm, figure I'll taxi it but am wondering how hard it is to locate the pool on the campus.

Jim, all I can say, is good luck getting around even on Monday. We have a tad bit of snow here. I'm around 20 inches and still have a good 12 ours of snow fall left. And another storm is supposed to hit on Tues.

Ask the Wookie. He went to American Univ.

Speedo
February 6th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Jim, my wife works at AU. The pool is in the Butler Pavilion/Eagles's Nest in the middle of campus- it's the large building you drive through. You can just ask the cabbie to take you to AU's Eagle's Nest. But yeah, not at all likely that the facility will be open on Monday.

jim clemmons
February 6th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the help. Assuming it's cleared up enuf, I'll be there.

tjrpatt
February 6th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the help. Assuming it's cleared up enuf, I'll be there.

Jim,
If you are in the Dc area, you can always swim at the Wilson High Aquatic. I love going down to that pool for a meet. It is a fabulous facility. I It is crawling distance from the Tenleytown metro(across the street).

http://dpr.dc.gov/dpr/cwp/view,a,1239,q,550518.asp

I know that there is a bus line that runs every 20 minutes up Mass. Ave through AU. But, I remember the cab rides being pretty reasonable. Also, I know that the bus line starts from Farrugat North area to AU. But, I don't think that it will get you to the 5AM workouts.

PM Muppet about using the Wilson pool because I think that he swims there sometimes.

swimshark
February 7th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Jim,
If you are in the Dc area, you can always swim at the Wilson High Aquatic. I love going down to that pool for a meet. It is a fabulous facility. I It is crawling distance from the Tenleytown metro(across the street).

http://dpr.dc.gov/dpr/cwp/view,a,1239,q,550518.asp

I know that there is a bus line that runs every 20 minutes up Mass. Ave through AU. But, I remember the cab rides being pretty reasonable. Also, I know that the bus line starts from Farrugat North area to AU. But, I don't think that it will get you to the 5AM workouts.

PM Muppet about using the Wilson pool because I think that he swims there sometimes.

Might not work well on Monday. Metro is not running fully due to the snow/ice. Today Metro trains are only running underground service and no bus service at all. So Jim you might be really limited as to where you can go tomorrow.

tjrpatt
February 7th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Might not work well on Monday. Metro is not running fully due to the snow/ice. Today Metro trains are only running underground service and no bus service at all. So Jim you might be really limited as to where you can go tomorrow.

the red line from Farragut North to Tenleytown is all underground. Hopefully, just call ahead to make sure the pools are open.

swimshark
February 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM
the red line from Farragut North to Tenleytown is all underground. Hopefully, just call ahead to make sure the pools are open.

Even underground service isn't starting until 7am - at least that's how it was yesterday. I haven't watched local news today. Even the Fed Govt is closed today. VRE (VA Railway Express) is closed today.