PDA

View Full Version : Swim Fins

jordangregory
June 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I am looking for a fin that makes me go fast. Does anyone know which type of fin would be the best?

jim thornton
June 24th, 2009, 11:56 PM
A great white fin will make you go faster.

jordangregory
June 25th, 2009, 07:03 AM
??

swimshark
June 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
That was Jim's attempt to be funny. Just ignore and he'll go back to his corner.

I started out with these when I got back in to swimming and really liked them

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3471.htm

Now I have zoomers but they won't make you go fast wit them on. They do help your kick when you don't have them on, though.

GoggleEyed
June 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
??
Great White Shark Video - Video

qbrain
June 25th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Any long fin should work.

I have rubber Speedo swim fins, which have about 10" of fin beyond the toe. Dive fins would probably the be fastest, but you might get stuck to the walls trying to push off.

Lui
June 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I had Zoomers, Speedo rubber fins and now rubber fins from Zoggs.: http://www.metroswimshop.com/product.ZOGG_300965.htm

Basically they all are and look the same except that they're each from a different company. I just use them for kicking but they are still quite fast but probably longer fins would be faster.

frankiej
June 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Any longer fins will do. I use the ones that my pool offers, they are basically like the TYR ones in the link posted earlier.

Fins are addictive though. I only use them like 2-3 times a week. I don't really use them to go faster though, I use them to increase my ankle flexibility and to build up certain muscles in my leg.

They work well for first learning how to dolphin kick though, I give them that.

Lui
June 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I only use them like 2-3 times a week. I don't really use them to go faster though, I use them to increase my ankle flexibility and to build up certain muscles in my leg.

Same here.
I only use my fins for a quick drill. For example 200 yard intensive kicking with a kickboard to train my leg muscles.
The ones I use are perfect for that.

orca1946
June 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
The longer the fin the faster you go. Do you want to work on legs strength ?

jordangregory
June 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
This may be crazy, but I want fins to work on sprinting. I know that when I shave and taper I swim much faster than during training time. I figure that I can use the fins for a few sprints during my training cycle so I can work on getting a feel for swimming fast.
I also thought it might be nice for breaststroke pulling. Normally, when I pull, I am going slower than I would normally swim. I thought with the fins I would speed up a bit and get a more speed specific workout

Allen Stark
June 28th, 2009, 11:06 AM
This may be crazy, but I want fins to work on sprinting. I know that when I shave and taper I swim much faster than during training time. I figure that I can use the fins for a few sprints during my training cycle so I can work on getting a feel for swimming fast.
I also thought it might be nice for breaststroke pulling. Normally, when I pull, I am going slower than I would normally swim. I thought with the fins I would speed up a bit and get a more speed specific workout

Not crazy at all,those are both good ideas.I do a lot of BR pull dolphin kick with fins as I can work on timing without hurting my knees.As was noted,any long fin will do.I buy scuba fins instead of swim fins as they are longer and stiffer.swimoutlet.com has a scuba section.

joel schmaltz
June 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I use Zoomers. I bought them to help with my leg conditioning and use they almost daily. I can't keep up with everyone using the fins with bigger blades but my Zoomers have helped me since I don't kick much when I swim. "Big problem!" says my coach.

ericl
June 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
While we are discussing fins and speed I have a question...my girlfriend and I both got zoomers. When we used them in the ocean for a mile, she was 5 minutes faster and I was five minutes SLOWER...what form flaw was revealed there??

ericl
June 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM
ANd while I am asking questions...

This is my second year of swimming, and while my pool times have dropped a fair bit, my ocean times are stagnant...what can that mean?

Lui
June 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I use Zoomers. I bought them to help with my leg conditioning and use they almost daily. I can't keep up with everyone using the fins with bigger blades but my Zoomers have helped me since I don't kick much when I swim. "Big problem!" says my coach.

Actually I don't kick much either. I use my legs more for balance except when I sprint.
That's the reason I use fins too.

bridge5
June 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM

I *LOVE* my Zoomers!!! They make me work harder and use more of my muscles than did my longer fins, to achieve the same effects. I've also noticed them helping with my ankle flexibility, which for me, is a huge plus! The only thing I haven't enjoyed as much is that my Zoomers make my abs more sore from doing dolphin kicking since I have to work harder to achieve what I used to be able to do with my longer fins...but the price of switching to the Zoomers, overall, was worth it for me.

letsrace
June 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
While we are discussing fins and speed I have a question...my girlfriend and I both got zoomers. When we used them in the ocean for a mile, she was 5 minutes faster and I was five minutes SLOWER...what form flaw was revealed there??

I am glad that someone else has pointed this out. I can not seem to kick fast with Zoomers. I am a good kicker without Zoomers and a fair kicker with flexible fins, but I am horrible with Zoomers. I have a theory that it is related to foot flexibility - the more flexible the foot, the less zoomers help - but I don't completely understand why that would be true.

ericl
June 29th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Fun to think about, but my ankles and calves are stiff as boards after 30 years of running...

cathym
July 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM
I am a fin fan. Have used zoomers for many years. Just purchased the Zura fin that floats-one can swim faster with this fin and it is easier to do flip turns due to the flexibility of the fin. Still will use the zoomers for kicking.

Swimmy
July 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
A great white fin will make you go faster.

Haha! I agree with Jim. That would make me really fast!
Sorry, Swimshark. I know I should not encourage him.....
I like my Tyr split fins, but I do think a great white fin would make me faster!
Swimmy
:angel:

jim thornton
July 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
I need all the encouragement I can get!