PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat before an early morning practice?

qbrain
June 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I am usually in the water by 5am and I have a multivitamin and 16oz of water before practice.

My wife has a few bites of a power bar and some water.

What are you eating before an early morning practice?

Couroboros
June 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Cheerios. Glass of milk. Dryland at 6. Pool by 6:45, usually.

knelson
I don't workout early in the morning often, but when I do I need to eat something of substance. Usually a bowl of cereal.

jim clemmons
I am usually in the water by 5am and I have a multivitamin and 16oz of water before practice.

My wife has a few bites of a power bar and some water.

What are you eating before an early morning practice?

Banana, handful of dried apricots and a cup of strong :bliss: coffee.

DPC
June 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have a bottle of water and a clif bar. I also do the 5 am shift - It usually holds me over. Lots of water during practice - can't stand the sports drink stuff, too nasty. After practice, chocolate milk ,a bowl of oatmeal or cereal and I'm good to 2 pm.

ourswimmer
June 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I usually swim at 6:30 am or 7:00 am.

I always drink coffee with milk before practice. Sometimes I also eat a small bowl of cereal with milk or a few pieces of dry fruit; sometimes I eat nothing. I never want to eat when I first wake up, and I get pretty nauseated if I swim too soon after eating. But if I am planning to be in the pool for more than an hour at a time I do need to make time for a pre-practice snack for the last 30-60 min. to be at all useful.

A multivitamin on an empty stomach would make me queasy even if I did not follow it up with a swim.

aquageek
June 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM
A gulp or two of water from the fountain on the way in, that's it.

gobears
June 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM
A gulp or two of water from the fountain on the way in, that's it.

Whew, I was beginning to think I was the only one! I have never eaten before swim practice in the early morning (even in high-school and college) and haven't felt any ill effects...

JoeBob
June 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
A small smoothie of wild blueberries, strawberries, purple dragon carrots, celery, hemp protein with acai,
chia seed, sprouted flaxseed, and a splash of pomegranate juice. :bouncing:

swimmj
June 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I swim better the second half of a workout in the morning if I have something in my tummy. I usually have a banana and some tea and milk. Sometimes a half PB and J. I've always eaten at least something before swimming.

--mj

Mswimming
June 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I don't workout early in the morning often, but when I do I need to eat something of substance. Usually a bowl of cereal.

I don't work out early much either, but for me it is a banana and a cup of coffee.

swimshark
June 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I swim at 4:30 am during school and 5:15 am during the summer and I eat a banana before practice.

aztimm
June 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
The multivitamins I take say to take with food...

Usually just water for me before and during morning workouts. Sometimes a little dry cereal. Much more and it doesn't stay in me.

pwb
June 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Brown Cow Cherry Vanilla yogurt (http://www.browncowfarm.com/OurYogurts/CreamTop.cfm) ... kind of sinful for yogurt with the cream top, but that plus a shot of espresso gets me going at 4:30am, which is when I wake up to walk the dogs before I do 5:15 or 5:30am workouts.

Knightswimmer2
June 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
sometimes some kind of fruit...if anything but always some goji juice!

Chris Stevenson
June 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I don't usually eat anything before practice, and I drink only water during practice (ie no gatorade or some such). I certainly eat a decent meal afterward though.

If I am going to do a particularly long workout (ie with the USS kids) then I might grab a banana on the way out. But just as often I forget.

DeletedAccount
June 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I am a rookie still to swimming (18 months) but have the advantage of a 18+ years background in fitness and nutrition. I know my nutrition definitely gives me a big edge... I have learned most swimmers do not put much effort or thought into their food intake.

Last early AM swim workout I ate a kiwi, a few pieces of papaya, and a small glass of pomegranate/blueberry juice about 25 mins. before getting in the water. I eat my first meal of the day as soon as I get home...

qbrain: Skip the multi-vit until after training and take w/ food. Dropping one down on an empty stomach pre-training is not the best time to take this supp.

JoeBob: Excellent smoothie, that is very similar in part to what my breakfast (post-training) looks like.

knelson
June 25th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Brown Cow Cherry Vanilla yogurt

I eat yogurt every day and Brown Cow is my favorite brand! I usually eat other brands, though. Brown Cow is a special treat.

jim clemmons
June 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I was looking for a "why" article and stumbled over a "what and when"...

Eating Before Exercise - Foods for Athletic Competition
Meal planning and eating before athletic competition
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportsnutrition/a/EatForExercise.htm

I located an article (yr 2000) about glycogen levels diminishing while sleeping and why they need to be raised before activity for best performance but cannot find it now.

~Wren~
June 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM
1/2 a Kashi chewy granola bar and some water - anything more and I feel icky during practice.

jim clemmons
June 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Here's a recent "why" eat before and after exercising:

Should you eat before or after you exercise?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_you_eat_before_or_after_you_exercise

ImFree
June 25th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Am I the only one that starts the day with coffee?

I was at a meet this year, and noticed one of my competitors eating a cheeseburger. Less than an hour later, he set a new national record in the 1000. 9:52 or so. He's a doctor too, so I guess he knows what he's doing. I may have to try it too.

swimshark
June 26th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Am I the only one that starts the day with coffee?

I know a very fast, older swimmer who does this before practice. I personally don't drink coffee nor do I want to get up any earlier than I have to to make something to drink, which is why I like bananas.

RuffWater
June 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Banana and coffee.

Donna
June 26th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I sometimes have a boost chocolate shake or nothing. Just depends on how my stomach is feeling. Then after workout I have coffee and peanut butter on cinnamon & raisin toast.

guppy
June 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Before: banana, a couple of prunes, some other fruit, and orange or grapefruit juice. After: Eggs, french toast, bacon, sausage, english muffin, oatmeal, muesli, you name it (not all on the same day). Or chocolate milk if I have to wait.

stillwater
June 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM
A cup of mud.

SwimRobin
June 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
My body crashes if I do not eat before workout. I generally like to have a banana, bagel and yogurt. Somtimes, I will substitute in a bowl of cereal.

Chris Lowe
June 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think I've EVER eaten in the AM before a workout - not riding my bike to the pool, or getting roused by the DI with trash cans, or even now. Just some water. I don't count the toothpaste nor Listerine (learned that the hard way in 9th grade).

But I'm hella hungry after. Usually a 30/40/30 mix of protein/carb/fat.

Lui
June 27th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Banana and coffee.

Same here.