PDA

View Full Version : 2012 US Trials Confirmed for Omaha

matysekj
June 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM
USA Swimming announced today that the US Olympic Swimming Trials will be held in Omaha June 25 through July 2, 2012. Omaha, here we come again!

http://usaswimming.org/usasweb/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=1205&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&ItemId=2502&mid=4005

meldyck
June 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I'm planning to attend, again. Word is out that they are paving the roads, letting in airyplanes and trying to get a railroad so that some of our fearful swimmers from places such as North Karolinie can get there.

Couroboros
June 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Wow, it's been a year already. Stunning. I didn't start following swimming until the Beijing Olympics, but from what I've read on this board and heard elsewhere, the US Trials are really quite the spectacular event all by themselves.

tjrpatt
June 25th, 2009, 10:43 PM
So, when are the London Olympics. I don't get why USA Swimming continues to have the Trials about a week before the Olympics!!!!(exaggerating here). Every other country has them three months before the Olympics. I don't get it. Have them in March or April and who cares if it conflicts with end of year SCY meets.

knelson
June 26th, 2009, 12:57 AM
There are pros and cons to having Trials a month before the Games, but on the whole I think this is really the best timing for them. Although an additional wrinkle was added last summer when Jessica Hardy's positive drug test came back too late to add additional swimmers to the team. Hopefully USA Swimming has taken steps to avoid a fiasco like that happening again.

lefty
June 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM
The Pros of late June Trials:
1) The swimmers who are swimming the fastest at the time of the Olympics are the swimmers who make the Olympics. In 1996 Neil Walker probably would have made the Olympic team had trials been held in June instead of March.
2) College swimmers have a "transition" time between college season and trials.
3) Less distruption to the college season.

The Cons of late June Trials
1) doubletaper
2) cheaters don't get repalced in time.

In 2000 trial cuts were the same as National cuts because US swim called the Trials Meet "US Olympic Trials and National Championship" And then there were 100+ people entered in each event. Was that good or bad for the sport?

knelson
June 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I think another reason USA-S likes late Trials is the ability to immediately pick the Olympic team and start training as a unified team. If the Trials are earlier everyone goes their separate ways for a couple months before rejoining again a couple weeks before the Olympics.

joel schmaltz
June 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I think that the trials so close to the games gives them a great amount of team unity. However, I do wonder how well they can handle the tapers.