PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit surgery?

ALM
June 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Note to Dave Barra: Please skip this thread. :)

I got a bargain wetsuit for Christmas and wore it in a 1-mile swim a couple of weeks ago. I don't do many open water swims so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a wetsuit. This one was a great deal at $75.00.

It's a sleeveless, full-leg wetsuit. The legs, especially, are pretty tight on me. During the swim I realized that it would have been better if the legs were just knee-length. Full-length legs make it almost impossible to swim breaststroke. (I get dizzy pretty easily and if it's wavy I switch to breaststroke for a while.)

My question is, do I dare cut the legs off and make it into a knee-length wetsuit? Or will I ruin it? The wetsuit came with a tag on it that had a lot of instructions. One of the very first instructions was something to the effect of, "Don't modify the wetsuit by cutting it off."

Damage Inc
June 26th, 2009, 07:44 AM
The seams usually have extra glue and a patch at the bottom. I think cutting might weaken this area but may not cause it to unravel. At the Escape From Alcatraz Tri I was standing behind Andy Potts on the boat and saw that he had cut his Blue 70 suit to trim the ankles shorter. I bet he paid $75 less than you did for his suit.

stillwater
June 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Cut as you like. I have taken many full suits and trimmed them into short sleeves, or spring suits.

RuffWater
June 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Cut it. I've done it before.

aquageek
June 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I don't know about cutting it, might cause it to curl. I would suggest taking it to an alterations place and having them cut in and stitch around the cut parts to reinforce. Wouldn't cost much.

cjquill
June 26th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I have a tri teammate who had an expensive wetsuit which was too hard to get off during transition because of tight legs. He sent it to some outfit on the west coast who shortened the legs by 2" which enabled him to drastically reduce his "undressing" time. Sorry, don't have the name of the company. He didn't want to ruin an expensive suit by doing his own sewing, but you might want to experiment if it wasn't a costly investment.

Phread
June 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM
You can trim the legs and then 'paint' a little wetsuit cement on the edge of the legs where the seams are located.

orca1946
June 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Wet suit cement - from a scuba shop ?