PDA

View Full Version : Ever get this panicky feeling?

Lui
July 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Maybe I'm a hypochondriac but do you ever get this feeling you might get a heart attack during a really hard workout?:eek:

Usually when I do a workout that is a little tougher than I can manage and then add some sprints to it, gasping for air, and am basically totally exhausted I sometimes get this really short panicky feeling that usually just lasts a fraction of a second. The feeling is basically "I wonder if I just over-did it and my heart will stop any second":oldman:
I had this today while doing a really tough work out. I was just wondering if others experience this too:blush:

gigi
July 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
No, never!
I don't think I could swim hard if that kept happening to me...

I used to have panic moments on the highway when I was convinced that the tractor-trailer ahead of me wouldn't clear the overpass and would come to a screeching halt killing me and everyone in my car. After years of this not happening I finally FINALLy got over my panicky feelings by believing that years and years of engineering and regulations had made this particular thing impossible and my fears were totally irrational. So I moved on.

Then, within 2 weeks of each other TWO tractor trailers did not clear the overpasses on the highway that goes through my city. TWO! Within two weeks of each other. One damaged the overpass so severely that it was closed for almost a year. So much for rationality conquering fear.

Hmmm. Maybe this isn't helping.

Go get a physical and maybe that will allay any fears you have. If you know that you have a good, strong, healthy heart that will be strengthened by vigorous exercise, maybe you will be able to move away from your panicky feelings. Don't think about exercise weakening your heart, think about how it's making what you fear LESS likely to happen, not more likely.

And forget that story about the trucks

sydned
July 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
I spend my time panicking that I may not be able to swim until I'm 90, that global warming will destroy the future for my grandchildren (and my son is only 8), that North Korea will build and use a functional nuclear missile, and that I won't know about any of it because I'll have died of one of the unknown and uncurable diseases I'm sure I have already...
And of course, the swimming is all for stress relief, right?

ViveBene
July 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Maybe I'm a hypochondriac but do you ever get this feeling you might get a heart attack during a really hard workout?:eek:
... The feeling is basically "I wonder if I just over-did it and my heart will stop any second" . . . I was just wondering if others experience this too:blush:

Yes, sort of.

No, never!
I don't think I could swim hard if that kept happening to me...

I used to have panic moments on the highway when I was convinced that the tractor-trailer ahead of me wouldn't clear the overpass and would come to a screeching halt killing me and everyone in my car. After years of this not happening I finally FINALLy got over my panicky feelings by believing that years and years of engineering and regulations had made this particular thing impossible and my fears were totally irrational. . . .

Roads are repaved, retarred, which can take serious inches off that nicely calibrated distance. Also, those grills in the sidewalk do occasionally collapse when ppl walk on them.

I spend my time panicking that I may not be able to swim until I'm 90, that global warming will destroy the future for my grandchildren (and my son is only 8), that North Korea will build and use a functional nuclear missile, and that I won't know about any of it because I'll have died of one of the unknown and uncurable diseases I'm sure I have already...
And of course, the swimming is all for stress relief, right?

I used to worry about the next war. Who didn't, when children had air raid drills in school, food was stockpiled in "shelters" (= basement), and one was expected to have an exit plan ready and a safe place one could get to on one's own?
:confused:

onefish
July 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Think of all the endorphins and adrenaline that gets released when you get to that breaking point....and how much easier it will be to push through that instant during a race.

Personally, I get over-anxious just behind the starting block.

I noticed a while back that during sprint workouts, when taking my pulse, my heart seemed to skip a beat. Did the cardiac stress test and found out it actually beats early under those conditions, but is not endangering and had no signs of other mal-effect.

Maybe you should be congratulated for being the one in the group that actually pushes really hard. I usually (not always...) seem to hang back, more interested in finishing gracefully than coming out completely destroyed and failing a set.

Lui
July 3rd, 2009, 03:17 AM
I noticed a while back that during sprint workouts, when taking my pulse, my heart seemed to skip a beat. Did the cardiac stress test and found out it actually beats early under those conditions, but is not endangering and had no signs of other mal-effect.

I only get that when I pushed harder than usual and am already exhausted. I don't know if you can actually "over do" it. I usually get that after doing a set of sprints and your heart is pumping so hard that you think your heart might not make the next beat.
Like I mentioned, that panicky feeling is just a fraction of a second.

bamueller
July 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Usually when I do a workout that is a little tougher than I can manage and then add some sprints to it, gasping for air, and am basically totally exhausted I sometimes get this really short panicky feeling that usually just lasts a fraction of a second. The feeling is basically "I wonder if I just over-did it and my heart will stop any second":oldman:
I had this today while doing a really tough work out. I was just wondering if others experience this too:blush:

I don't worry about heart attacks. I do worry about migraines. Knowing that I am sufficiently hydrated and nurished before and during practice puts this anxiety at ease.