PDA

View Full Version : Sore.

Couroboros
July 3rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
No, I'm not a sore loser. I'm sore sore, for real. How do I help it go away? My coach recently had me start doing dryland six times a week. This usually goes for about a half an hour to forty five minutes every morning and involves the coach coming up with creative new ways to make me sore in places of the body I never thought I could be sore before.

At first, the soreness is kind of fun. Makes you feel good in an odd kind of way, but after a little while, it just gets annoying. Like today, when I've been sore in the backs of my thighs, which makes sitting down and standing up a real holy pain, especially on toilet seats (those are torture).

Are there ways I can help the soreness go away so I don't have to very gingerly do something as simple as sitting down?

qbrain
July 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Couroboros, glad you are still with us! I hope you have melted down to nothing but rock hard, sore, muscle :)

Short term: Make sure you are getting enough potassium. You don't need a supplement, just a banana, glass of Gatorade or a multivitamin a day, and you will be covered.

Take a break. It is ok to take a day off to recover. You might not want to lose forward progress, but if you are always torn down, you are also never training at maximum intensity.

Medium term:

Foam rollers are great for working out the soreness in your legs. Tennis balls are great for digging into your back and you probably already know your hands work well on your arms. These are all cheaper alternatives to massage. Google myofascial release. It is the latest buzz word for digging deep into the muscles where they are especially sore until some of that soreness goes away. You really are interested in the techniques for digging into those hard to reach spots (like the back) and how to put enough pressure on the large muscles to be effective (most of the leg muscles).

Here is a video of some foam roller work.
YouTube - Foam Roller Exercise Video

I can't find a good video for the tennis ball, but it is pretty simple. Take the tennis ball and catch it between your back and the wall (you can lay on it if you need more pressure, but start with the wall). You need to catch it about where you are sore, and then roll the ball around between you and the wall, digging into the muscle until it is less sore, and move on.

A couple things about the foam roller. I bought a cheap $20 foam roller from target and it lasted about 2 months before it was too deformed to roll easily, so I ordered a $40 one from performbetter online, and that one hasn't deformed at all. The gym might have them since they are also popular with balance, core and yoga classes.

The most important thing about the foam roller, when you roll your IT band the first time (it is on the outside of your thigh), you will want to cry. If your IT band is especially tight, you will actually cry. The pain diminishes considerably each time you roll yourself.

Long term:

Stretch! Come up with a 10 or 15 minute stretching routine that warms up the muscle then stretches them gently that you can start doing daily. This isn't going to help you immediately, this is just a preventative. Dynamic stretching or yoga series that covers most of the body would be great.

Make sure you maintain good posture. Shoulders back, head up, chest out, back straight. Swimmers have a problem with hunching over (I know, sounds backwards), so make sure you stretch your pecs and keep your shoulders back. This will help keep your shoulders and back healthy.

Redbird Alum
July 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
And then there is the lazy person model for this...

A couple of aspirin and lost of fluids after the workout and before you hit the sack.

Couroboros
July 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually have more than a few foam rollers lying around, so I'm gonna try a few of those workouts.

I am no stranger to the foam roller. I like to lie on it with the foam between my shoulder blades, and try to balance my back on it. Good for straightening it out!