PDA

View Full Version : 2009 UP lake swim 7/25

mbell48170
July 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Looked up last year's UP lake swim thread and thought people may be interested in this year's. It is July 25th and Mark Spitz is scheduled to attend dinner the night before and speak following the race. Details are available at http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/527449.html

Bell Hospital announced that Spitz will visit Ishpeming to highlight the sixth annual Teal Lake Swim for Diabetes, a fundraiser sponsored by Bell Medical and the U.P. Diabetes Outreach Network. :applaud:

MickYoung
July 21st, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'll be flying from Pittsburgh to swim in this. I used to live in Ishpeming as a boy. It's my one event. I do it more just as a distance swim.

Mick

mbell48170
July 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Looks like a great event, gotta be cold water though. I'm swimming the 10K Nat'l Championship at Harbor Springs 8/1 and the water temp there appears to be in the low 60s right now.
Enjoy the UP swim!
mb

MickYoung
July 31st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Looks like a great event, gotta be cold water though. I'm swimming the 10K Nat'l Championship at Harbor Springs 8/1 and the water temp there appears to be in the low 60s right now.
Enjoy the UP swim!
mb

The water was likely upper 60's. Too cold to float on my back and rewst without shivering, but no real problem other than that. The wind was in our faces. My pace was awful.

All around, a good time!

They had a special Friday night pre-event dinner that was mentioned in the paper, but when I asked about it, I was told it was a "private party" and they didn't invite the likes of me - that was FAR colder than the water.

Mick