PDA

View Full Version : To prevent your goggles from fogging up do you....

frankiej
July 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM
spit/lick the insides of them?

I've always wondered this amongst other swimmers. When I first started swimming one of my friends licked and/or spit (a little) in her goggles. I thought it was gross at first but I have long since adopted it since I came to found out it did work!

If you don't do this, what are your methods for keeping your goggles clear?

mctrusty
July 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
A tiny 'lil bit of baby shampoo works the best, IMHO.

Lump
July 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
First off, if you by "anti-fog" goggle (like my Vanquishers Metallic's) keep your fingers out of the insides. It will last much longer. Once it wears off I use the Speedo spray stuff and it works pretty good....through a whole practice or OW event.

jim clemmons
July 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I use the "mfg name not to be named but they make an expensive technical suit that doesn't last very long" anti-fog spray. Works great.

Try to keep from rubbing the inside of the lenses with anything whatsoever if at all possible. The plastic (and factory applied anti-fog covering) scratches with the slightest touch no matter how "soft" it may seem to be, even cotton.

Bobinator
July 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I use the stuff called "cat crap". Vive Bene suggested on the forum that it works well; it is great! I got it at Cabela's just outside Chicago.

frankiej
July 6th, 2009, 07:38 PM
First off, if you by "anti-fog" goggle (like my Vanquishers Metallic's) keep your fingers out of the insides. It will last much longer. Once it wears off I use the Speedo spray stuff and it works pretty good....through a whole practice or OW event.

Well I have the vanquishers + actually. It lasted for about 2 weeks but then I got careless and let them get in the water and did other stupid things.

My goggles go through a lot of beatings.

pwb
July 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I use the "mfg name not to be named but they make an expensive technical suit that doesn't last very long" anti-fog spray. Works great.

I've used that and Kiefer's anti-fog solution. I've found the Kiefer stuff to work better.

orca1946
July 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I swim with my contacts, so other than spit gets into them.

Jazz Hands
July 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Never swim more than 25 yards at a time.

frankiej
July 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Darn...if only you said never swim more then 50m I'd be set.

Lump
July 6th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Well I have the vanquishers + actually. It lasted for about 2 weeks but then I got careless and let them get in the water and did other stupid things.

My goggles go through a lot of beatings.

My practice Vanq's are clear. My metallics I only use for sunny OW swims so I keep them in their cases, too dark to use indoors anyway.

frankiej
July 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
My practice Vanq's are clear. My metallics I only use for sunny OW swims so I keep them in their cases, too dark to use indoors anyway.

Ya...about that. I just use them indoors anyways since they are my only pair of goggles at the moment. :D

Glenn
July 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Spit works great. And the price is right!:D

Lump
July 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Another trick I've heard is using distilled water. Rinse them good after practice and you could use a water bottle or whatever during practice to clean them out. It keeps a film from building up in them.

frankiej
July 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Another trick I've heard is using distilled water. Rinse them good after practice and you could use a water bottle or whatever during practice to clean them out. It keeps a film from building up in them.

Yes, I have heard of this as well.

I usually wash my goggles with cold water before and after I swim. Been working pretty good.
As far as the spray I wanted to try but it cost money, while spit doesn't...haha.

qbrain
July 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Quinn's Old Irish Goggle anti-fog solution. Sorry, but there is no local distributorship, but it works great.

ddl
July 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I use my fingers to wipe the inside--it works! :agree:

juanmoczo
July 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I keep all my goggles inside soapy water. I never wipe or in any other way touch the inside of the goggle lens. When I need my goggles I just rinse them with tap water. This has worked for me. I read somewhere that the fogging is caused by all the minerals in pool water. Soapy water probably softens the minerals and the tap water removes them. Additionally the elastic bands last longer inside soapy water. Try it.

RadSwim
July 6th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I use 500 psi, a SCUBA mask anti-fog gel, that works very well for swim goggles and masks.

Herb
July 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks to the baby shampoo tip I learned on this forum I now have a lifetime supply of goggles. Licking them seems to work in a pinch as well.

jim thornton
July 7th, 2009, 12:20 AM
You lucky bastards all must be the beneficiaries of clean pools. Our water is so foggy it's like swimming in watered down skim milk that's already turned. You can clean your goggles with Cat Crap and 500 psi, spit and Mr. Quinn's magic goo (rumored to be the hand-extracted precious bodily fluids of leprechauns), but the water still looks like what it is: a bubbly mix of day campers' excretions and old noodler incontinence byproducts, marinaded in chlorine and muriatic acid and layers and layers of dead skin from the hides of our masters swimming team.

We wear goggles not to see better in the pool, but to keep our eyeballs from turning into catfish bait. I don't even keep my eyes open when I swim. No one completely trusts any goggles to protect our orbs. Tightly closed lids are the second, fail safe layer of protection against the Superfund Site that is my beloved home pool and generator of mutants.

humanpunchingbag
July 7th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks to the baby shampoo tip I learned on this forum I now have a lifetime supply of goggles. Licking them seems to work in a pinch as well.

Do you lick them before or after you put the baby shampoo in them?:D

Seriously, one thing I learned the hard way was to use a really, really tiny amount of baby shampoo. Less is better.

Too much and your eyes turn flaming red and your boss asks you three times in one hour if you need a ride to the hospital.

ddl
July 7th, 2009, 12:46 AM
We wear goggles not to see better in the pool, but to keep our eyeballs from turning into catfish bait. I don't even keep my eyes open when I swim.

Same here. I rarely open my eyes in freestyle. I swim better that way. Seeing the bottom of the pool somehow distracts me and makes me slow (though I admit with closed eyes I occasionally swim astray and bump into someone coming--fortunately no fatal accidents :D). Seeing is useful to me only when I'm looking forward once in a while.

gigi
July 7th, 2009, 01:15 PM
This baby shampoo idea is new to me. WHat do you do with it exactly?
Put in a drop and spread it around with your finger before you swim?
PUt it in AFTER you swim, let it spread naturally, and you're good to go for your next swim?
How much is very little?

I'm intrigued. I just let my goggles fog up and then I wipe the fog out w/my finger in between swims. Not a good idea?

I tried the anti fog stuff but it just made everything smeary.

Maybe I just need to be more exacting....

ddl
July 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Sooner or later you have to use fingers/tissues to wipe it since it will collect residues from the pool, won't it? Mine has collected dirty residues around the edges of the lenses and I need to use tissues to wipe it hard to get rid of it.

frankiej
July 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
You lucky bastards all must be the beneficiaries of clean pools. Our water is so foggy it's like swimming in watered down skim milk that's already turned. You can clean your goggles with Cat Crap and 500 psi, spit and Mr. Quinn's magic goo (rumored to be the hand-extracted precious bodily fluids of leprechauns), but the water still looks like what it is: a bubbly mix of day campers' excretions and old noodler incontinence byproducts, marinaded in chlorine and muriatic acid and layers and layers of dead skin from the hides of our masters swimming team.

We wear goggles not to see better in the pool, but to keep our eyeballs from turning into catfish bait. I don't even keep my eyes open when I swim. No one completely trusts any goggles to protect our orbs. Tightly closed lids are the second, fail safe layer of protection against the Superfund Site that is my beloved home pool and generator of mutants.

My pool at college is much like the pools you swim at apparently. I always have to double check my goggles to make sure they aren't fogging up but it never gets better since the pool itself is pretty gross.

Some spiders on the bottom and apparently the swim team does their "business" in the pool when they are swimming and don't have time to get out to do so.

pennyrobbins
February 3rd, 2018, 12:30 PM
I use 500 psi, a SCUBA mask anti-fog gel, that works very well for swim goggles and masks.

I use the Sea Gold Anti-fog gel (https://www.otg-goggles.com/best-anti-fog-for-glasses/), I think its the same deal. Works like a charm.

ElaineK
February 3rd, 2018, 01:46 PM
I know a thread is OLD when the last post (before today's) was from before I became a member of USMS! :rolleyes:

__steve__
February 3rd, 2018, 06:18 PM
Old thread

lick each lense, submerge halfway into water, then allow to dry for 5 seconds. Done at the wall as needed. Can be done while in OW too. Only works if the lense have already been cleaned with soap water (btw the anti fog film is long gone)