PDA

View Full Version : Garrett out at floswimming

knelson
July 7th, 2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.floswimming.org/blogs/blogger/gm/7799-dear-swimming-fans

This is disappointing. I thought Garrett did a great job with the site and got awesome content (including masters).

pwb
July 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I don't get this as I thought this was his gig (see http://www.floswimming.org/info/about). Also, what happened at WCT? Were they shut out of coverage?

knelson
July 7th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I think Garrett was hired to start floswimming, but there are other "flo" sports such as track.

ande
July 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
what a shocker, Garrett's a great guy, he worked his butt off & did an awesome job with the site

drop dead sprinter
July 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
what a shame, he really did a wonderful job!!!

mctrusty
July 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Apparently Garrett and Mark Floreani didn't see eye to eye.

Some more of the story:

http://www.floswimming.org/videos/speaker/4363-mark-floreani/192110-floswimming-moving-forward

pwolf66
July 7th, 2009, 04:35 PM
And yet not a surprising development for another 'Flo' resource.

Sad, very sad.

rtodd
July 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM
He was awesome.

Jazz Hands
July 7th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Garrett is a great guy, and I think he's the best swimming journalist around. So much depth and so much personal commitment. This sucks.

BillS
July 8th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I don't know anything about the politics and reasons behind this move. I do know that I first saw Garrett in person at Austin covering our SCY Nationals. It surprised me a little that floswimming and Garrett cared enough to be there. He captured some great interviews and racing. I was amazed by the coverage he put together this year at Clovis. Flo had every heat in every age group uploaded within hours, all free, all downloadable, with knowledgeable commentary delivered on the spot in the hot sun on some very long days. All for us, a bunch of flabby, tech suit wearing, hyper-competitive, blogging, vanity-shot-posting, non-former-elite-and-taking-it-all-too-seriously masters. How cool was that? I got a chance to shake his hand and thank him for all his hard work at Clovis, and I'm glad I did.

I also know that flo has, hands down, the best internet platform of any swimming site I visit, including this one. The videos are easily accessible, generally work perfectly, and the site just seems so streamlined and fresh compared to the other clunkier sites.

I wish there was something USMS could offer to do for Garrett, but I'm sure he will be on to bigger and better swimming related things. His interviews were consistently interesting. I loved when he would be in the reporter's pool, with everyone bellowing inane questions at some poor dripping swimmer who had just emerged from the pool. He always asked the swimming related question you wanted the answer to.

Watching the Mark Floreani interview and reading some of the posts about his style did nothing to endear him to me. I'll keep an eye on the flo site, but I hope another outlet can pick up on flo's strengths and content, and that Garrett, Chris DeSantis, and the others who are moving on end up in a good place.

knelson
July 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I loved when he would be in the reporter's pool, with everyone bellowing inane questions at some poor dripping swimmer who had just emerged from the pool. He always asked the swimming related question you wanted the answer to.

Great point, Bill. I remember many interviews where the swimmers looked totally bored by answering the same inane questions, then their eyes would light up when Garrett actually asked something that would resonate with a swimmer.

MAC swimmer
July 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Garrett was just awesome. I am sorry that FLoreani made a big mistake but hey it might be for the best. Now he has to find a person who is:
a. an ex-D1 swimmer
b. Who has the chops to interview great athletes and coaches.
c. who is respected by the community of athletes
d. who can stay up all night at a high school meet to interview an up and comer.
e. who can inspire both age groupers and masters...and olympians.

He just killed the golden goose.

Frank Thompson
July 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I just got back to Michigan from being in Indy since Tuesday for the World Championship trials and I heard about this from all sorts of people at the meet. I agree with everyone's comments about Garrett and I believe something will come his way. I think a great fit for him would be to get involved with the Swim Network. He would compliment Mel Stewart well and would add a different dimension to the interviews and projects that they do for Swimming.

ande
September 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Garrett McCaffrey is now the producer of the Morning Swim Show (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/22139.asp?q=<i>The%20Morning%20Swim%20Show</i>,%20Sept.%202,%202009:%20Ricky%20Berens%20Talks%20 About%20Worlds%20and%20Senior%20Year%20at%20Texas) his first one was Sept. 2, 2009

Not sure what's going to happen with SwimPulse.net now.

orca1946
September 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
I hope that he gets back into it soon so he can give us more of the same good stuff.