PDA

View Full Version : New Blocks at the Worlds

mazzy
July 12th, 2009, 08:24 AM
New blocks installed for the Worlds.
I've read that the use of the new blocks was postponed due at lack of availability. A change of mind of FINA ?
You can see it on the official website.
look at this image.

Glenn
July 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I had the opportunity to use those blocks at the Canadian SCM Nationals in Toronto in May. They are awesome!!! The block part that comes up is movable and you can get a good solid push off on a track start. :banana:

Chris Stevenson
July 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I think these blocks are clearly a technological innovation meant solely to make times faster, and should be disallowed. (I don't see a "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon anywhere...)

scyfreestyler
July 12th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I think these blocks are clearly a technological innovation meant solely to make times faster, and should be disallowed. (I don't see a "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon anywhere...)

Absolutely! In fact, were I to swim a meet with those blocks, I would choose to start in the water in defiance of this "legalized cheating". :joker:

quicksilver
July 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
The pole vault is especially helpful.

meldyck
July 12th, 2009, 11:54 AM
As Galen will soon point out, this is just the first of a planned series of innovations leading to a spring-loaded launcher built into the platform. The only problem FINA has at the moment with this concept is that the platform launches the swimmer past the 15 meter point. They are pondering how to solve this problem....

scyfreestyler
July 12th, 2009, 12:14 PM
As Galen will soon point out, this is just the first of a planned series of innovations leading to a spring-loaded launcher built into the platform. The only problem FINA has at the moment with this concept is that the platform launches the swimmer past the 15 meter point. They are pondering how to solve this problem....

The word on the street is that the 15M point will still be observed, but it will be as measured from the opposite end of the pool.

Lump
July 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Why don't they just shoot them out of an air cannon and a predetermined PSI so that they can enter the water like a torpedo in the streamline position.:rolleyes:

I mean what's next....the suits are a big enough advantage?

orca1946
July 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
WAIT ---- do they have a cannon that will fit my upper age group butt ??

nkfrench
July 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Why don't they just shoot them out of an air cannon and a predetermined PSI so that they can enter the water like a torpedo in the streamline position.:rolleyes:

I would love to see backstrokers clearing over the flags on their start.

FindingMyInnerFish
July 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Sounds way fun! Of course, they'd have to calibrate it so swimmers actually landed IN the pool and didn't overshoot it.

To keep things Truly Fair, other minute calibrations would be needed to ensure that all swimmers landed at precisely a pre-set number of yards into their lanes (oh, let's just say 40m for a 50m pool, 20m for a 25m pool--although the latter could be a challenge given the power of cannons, etc.). The cannon settings would have to be adjusted to take into account each swimmer's body weight, suit weight, weight of swim cap, etc., so as to achieve pinpoint accuracy in launching the swimmers. :joker:

They used to have some kind of cannon (catapult?) in Atlantic City that launched a woman on horseback into a pool... although I suspect that might be a little awkward for use in swim meets.

Chris Stevenson
July 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
This thread has started me thinking idly...does anyone reading this know the history of the starting block?

Consider that starting in the pool is obviously a perfectly good way to start a race (though maybe relays are harder), when did they start diving off the side of the pool to begin a race? When were blocks added? Just wondering...

(I would love it if they allowed backstrokers to dive in from the blocks -- I miss the old stand-up starts, too.)

pwb
July 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
(I would love it if they allowed backstrokers to dive in from the blocks -- I miss the old stand-up starts, too.)

Yes, they absolutely need to bring back that rule.

Paul Smith
July 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM

I have to disagree....the older/short blocks are discriminate against those of us with sz 15 feet.

pwolf66
July 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I have to disagree....the older/short blocks are discriminate against those of us with sz 15 feet.

Or have legs longer than 24 inches. I can't recall how many times I nearly (or actually DID) fall of the block taking my mark. Nothing like having the back foot just keep going and going and going......

thewookiee
July 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
. I can't recall how many times I nearly (or actually DID) fall of the block taking my mark. Nothing like having the back foot just keep going and going and going......

If you would listen for the whistles, you wouldn't have that problem. :)

3strokes
July 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM

They will make the spring-actuated (or gunpowder-actuated) platform grip the swimmers ankles (a variation of the bear-trap) and release them only after the platform has sprung and revolved some 177.5 degrees ensuring that the swimmer shoots straight as an arrow, into the water, some 30cms from the start touchpad and going straight down at almost 89.3 degrees to the bottom of the pool.

I'd like to see the swimmer who can make 15m (until surfacing, that is) with this approach.

3strokes
July 14th, 2009, 10:08 PM

A predetermined PSI would be unfair to some. How much for a 6'6" 250lbs and how much for a 5'5 123lbs (both males of course; women will need a more delicate charge)?:bolt:

Allen Stark
July 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM

The only problem with the 15 M rule is you couldn't go underwater after 15 M.Fortunately the cannon can be set so that you skip over the water and so stay legal(we have to follow some rules after all.)

orca1946
July 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Reavis H S 1960, we made our start blocks from wood in wood shop. Someone had to sit on them so they did not flip over @ the start !!

Rykno
July 17th, 2009, 03:06 AM
A predetermined PSI would be unfair to some. How much for a 6'6" 250lbs and how much for a 5'5 123lbs (both males of course; women will need a more delicate charge)?:bolt:

there would be a need for a pre-race weigh in, and each swimmer would then be given a weigh belt, so that all the smaller swimmers weigh as much as the largest for each event.

or set a min weight, so the larger swimmers would be at disadvantage, but the smaller swimmers would have to wear weight belts to reach that min weight.

3strokes
July 18th, 2009, 12:24 AM
there would be a need for a pre-race weigh in, and each swimmer would then be given a weigh belt, so that all the smaller swimmers weigh as much as the largest for each event.

or set a min weight, so the larger swimmers would be at disadvantage, but the smaller swimmers would have to wear weight belts to reach that min weight.

And, at long last, a handicapping system is brought into the world of swimmers when the King of Sports (Swimming) is finally equal to the Sport of Kings (Horse-racing.)

Jim B.
July 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
How about a "torpedo" tube in the end of each lane?

Peter Cruise
July 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Would someone who designs starting blocks be a blockhead?

FindingMyInnerFish
July 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Would someone who designs starting blocks be a blockhead?

:D :D

And would those who tear down the old starting blocks to replace them with new ones be blockbusters?

Big Jim the finger
July 19th, 2009, 08:45 PM

Someone has been reading Vonnegut's "Welcome to the Monkey House." Who will act as Handicapper General?

meldyck
July 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
And would those who tear down the old starting blocks to replace them with new ones be blockbusters?

And those bought and paid for by a certain accounting firm could be H & R Blocks...

Glenn
July 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
And if this pool was in your neighborhood, you could be "the first on your blocks"!:D

pwolf66
July 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
If Feinstein raced, would his be called a 'writer's block'?

If you fished from one would it be called 'block and tackle'?

If you broke the block while replacing it would you be forever known as 'the chip off the old block'?

Speedo
July 20th, 2009, 09:52 AM
After the race I'd have a block and tan.

Or, before. Hydrate or die.

lefty
July 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM
These jokes are so horrible I am blocking this thread

Jim B.
July 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
These jokes are so horrible I am blocking this thread
I do not think these qualify as jokes.

Midas
July 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM

Given these new blocks, one must wonder why backstrokers can't at least curl their toes...