PDA

View Full Version : Some Big "Holes" for the US at Worlds !

ehoch
July 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
There are some big big holes for the US team at Worlds - not a lot of youngster have been stepping up.

I know the excuses, but it's a post Olympic year for everybody and overall people do not improve between trials and the "big meet".

- They should get a special relay permit for Lezak -- the 5th place French 100 Free swimmer would have won Nationals for the Men.

- Nobody under 54 for the women ? that is 1.5 second slower than Steffen

- Both distance groups (men and women) are mostly not competitive -- 15:11 ????? I know about LaTourette, but come on ....

- Need more spots for Men's IMers and Backstrokers --- those guys rule

elise526
July 13th, 2009, 01:04 PM
The same thing has been said right before the Olympics in some years and the U.S. managed to come out on top. Somehow the favored swimmers from other countries choke while ours exceed expectations. I predict the same thing will happen at Worlds.

It's not over until the fat lady sings.

Hiro11
July 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I agree that the US doesn't look very competitive in several events this year, but I see the glass as half full.

The team, especially the women's team, is chock full of very young and promising swimmers. Hoff and Zeigler will probably come back in a big way, but even if they don't, these kids are all making me optimistic about 2012. Long story short, this team is just rife with potential. Adrian and Feigan are just going to get faster (Jones probably will as well). Soni is already a world-beater and still improving. Clary is just going to be ridiculous in the IMs, back and fly in the next couple of years. Knutson, Pelton, Sutton, Smit etc. on the women's side. Grevers is, what, 23? Also, I was thrilled to see swimmers like Vollmer, Walters, Gangloff and (especially) Shanteau finally have the breakout performances that they have been promising for so long. Shanteau is the oldest at 25 and has unbelievable drive, these people will all be around for a while.

Who knows who else is going to show up in the next few years? Lia Neal? I think US Swimming is just fine.