PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing the Hains Point meet?

daveindc
July 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
It's on Sunday...I'm doing 5 events. Nice 50M outdoor pool at Hains Point in DC. Anyone going to be there?

swimshark
July 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I will. I'm doing the 400, 200 and 50 free and the 400 IM. What are you swimming?

daveindc
July 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM
If I can remember, it's:

50, 100 Free
50, 100 Fly
50 Breast

jroddin
July 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Julie and I and my dad are all entered.

My dad entered 100 fly, 200 fly, 400 IM. I'm not as tough as him, so I picked 100 fly, 50 fly, 400 IM. But maybe that means I'm smarter than he is...:)

I'm swimming just two days a week instead of the usual 4-5 days so it will be interesting to see how much my swimming times takes a hit. I've added biking (and a tiny bit of running) so maybe I will luck out and do comparable times because my level of fitness is generally the same.

Chris Stevenson
July 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I'm swimming just two days a week instead of the usual 4-5 days so it will be interesting to see how much my swimming times takes a hit. I've added biking (and a tiny bit of running) so maybe I will luck out and do comparable times because my level of fitness is generally the same.

This sounds suspiciously like a triathlete's weekly workout. Don't you know we don't welcome your kind in USMS?:argue:

tjrpatt
July 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to grace everyone with my presence at this year's Hains Point meet!!! I have completed all my in-season LCM meets for the season. I had some good swims last year but man, was it hot at that meet.

jroddin
July 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Chris Stevenson wrote:

This sounds suspiciously like a triathlete's weekly workout. Don't you know we don't welcome your kind in USMS?

I can prove unequivocally that I in no way, shape or form resemble a triathlete. I've attached a picture of my bike. A careful eye will detect why I could never pass muster as a real triathlete...

Chris Stevenson
July 16th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I can prove unequivocally that I in no way, shape or form resemble a triathlete. I've attached a picture of my bike. A careful eye will detect why I could never pass muster as a real triathlete...

Okay, the kickstand is a little dorky and there are no aerobars. But you have a cyclocomputer, index shifters, decent-looking wheels, and your seat is above your handlebars. Overall verdict: triathlete!

I give you 1 year of this before you upgrade your bike.

More seriously: when I first started riding, I bought a fairly cheap steel bike and used it for two years until I was sure it wasn't just a passing fancy. Then I upgraded to a nice bike, though still about half the price of the typical bike I see in a triathlon. I never regretted the upgrade, it makes riding so much more enjoyable. Upon seeing the recept for bike plus accessories like shoes (equal to about 3 LZRs) my wife declared that I better enjoy it because it was the last bike I would ever purchase for myself. But it sure has lasted a lot longer than the LZRs would have...

(Sorry for the thread hijack. I'm not going to Hains Point b/c I have a meet the following week.)

Muppet
July 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'll be there as usual
pool may follow the same speed quality standards as roddin's new tri bike, but the location and views from the deck can't be beat. In my opinion, there are few facilities that can rival the ambiance. I just wish the facility were in better shape.

Speedo
July 16th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Okay, the kickstand is a little dorky and there are no aerobars. But you have a cyclocomputer, index shifters, decent-looking wheels, and your seat is above your handlebars. Overall verdict: triathlete!
That's true, but he also has a pie plate on the gear cluster. That's at least 40 grams- sinful and a fashion fauz pas in triland!

Just kidding.

Not going to Hains Point but wish everyone luck.

swimshark
July 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I'll be there as usual
pool may follow the same speed quality standards as roddin's new tri bike, but the location and views from the deck can't be beat. In my opinion, there are few facilities that can rival the ambiance. I just wish the facility were in better shape.

It is now heated :)