PDA

View Full Version : Turns at Sonny Werblin Recreation Center

Ian
June 16th, 2003, 05:28 PM
When the Sonny Werblin Recreation Center is set up for the LC Nationals in August, will the walls be "flat" or will there be a gutter for the open-water turns? Will both walls be the same?

KenChertoff
June 16th, 2003, 06:54 PM
I can't speak for the meet organizers and I don't know the current plans, but I've been at the Rutgers pool many times. The last time I swam a long course meet there, it had a bulkhead at one end and a solid wall at the other. The pool is slightly longer than 50 meters and 25 yards across; it has a single movable bulkhead. As I recall the bulkhead feels identical to the wall and both have gutters.

drip'nwet
June 19th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Can someone respond to the length of the pool. If it is longer than 50 meters, it is giong to be hard to set personal best times at Nationals.

matysekj
June 19th, 2003, 01:13 PM
I think you misunderstood what Ken said about the pool being longer than 50 meters. Many long course pools are longer than 50 meters when there is no bulkhead installed. However, the bulkhead is set at the proper point to make the competition portion of the pool 50 meters long. Ken's statement was that the Rutgers pool is built this way, and the bulkhead is solid enough that it feels like a solid wall when pushing off for your turns. Never fear, the competition course will be 50 meters.

KenChertoff
June 19th, 2003, 06:07 PM
The bulkhead is set for a 50 meter competition course. The pool is longer overall because of a diving well at one end.

jerry clark
July 4th, 2003, 11:31 AM
The meet director for the upcoming LCN meet at Rutgers has informed me (I'm the USMS meet liaison for this meet) that a registered surveyor is to measure the pool prior to the meet to ascertain that the distance will meet the standards in our rule book.

A prior comment about the tank itself being longer than 50m is correct, which is not unusual at all. The one meet I've seen there had one bulkhead in front of (i.e.; on the starting end side of the turn wall) the turn wall, then there was some 3'-4' of water between the rear of the bulkhead and the actual wall.

The meet director did not tell me of any existing measurements, but we (USMS Championship committee) intend to see that the distance is both proper and without excess.