PDA

View Full Version : A Historic First for ASCA World Clinic as New FINA President

Paul Smith
July 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
"7/15/2009

A Historic First for ASCA World Clinic as New FINA President Plans Visit!

This year’s ASCA World Clinic in Fort Lauderdale will have “that something extra” in the form of a historic, first ever visit from a sitting FINA Swimming President.

New President Dr. Julio Maglione is planning to attend the Clinic on Friday, Sept. 11 and speak to the ASCA members and guests during the ASCA Annual Business Meeting on Friday morning.

Dr. Maglione, who will assume his new office at the end of the World Championships in Rome, is widely presumed ready to take the lead in the elimination of the new “technical suits” which have wrecked such havoc on the sport of swimming in the past two years.

As most know, the FINA office until the past 8 years, has had little to do with coaches, on a worldwide basis. The first FINA Coaches Commission was formed in 2000, and ASCA former President Peter Daland was the first Chair of that Committee. ASCA Executive Director John Leonard serves on the FINA Coaches Commission today. Never before has a FINA President taken it upon himself to visit a major world coaches clinic in any nation and the historic implications of this occurrence follows on the heels of FINA Executive Director Cornel Marculescu declaring in Singapore last February that “perhaps now our best partners in the development of world swimming, is the coaches”."

meldyck
July 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
If I hadn't let my membership lapse, I'd go and wear my Blue 70.

jim clemmons
July 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
If I hadn't let my membership lapse, I'd go and wear my Blue 70.

Go anyway but borrow one of Paul's blown out B70's. He's probably got a few of 'em with holes in strategic places.

:cool: