PDA

View Full Version : labral tears in 17 yr old

Dane1958
July 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I may be in wrong forum..1st time hear. My son is 17 and is having surgery for 2 labral tears. I am trying to make him comfortable at home before we even start this..any suggetions..incline pillow(7 inch,12 inch) or recliner to keep him from rolling over initially? I will ask dr as we get closer but thoug t I amy get support here. any hints? thanks

jim thornton
July 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Dana, I am not a doctor, and I don't have any specific advice for comfort, but if you son is a swimmer, you might tell him that a number of high profile swimmers have had labral tears repaired and come back to swim well.

I would definitely have him see an orthopedist with extensive background in treating swimming injuries, though, so that when he resumes swimming, he has a plan in place to prevent future injuries. 17 seems awfully young to be grinding down the shoulders like that--unless it was a traumatic event, like a ski injury or something.

Good luck to you both!

swimcat
July 16th, 2009, 08:43 AM
i feel for your son. i too have labral tears. my first option was physical threrapy it not surgery. i am much much older than your son. i am about finished with PT but i am so behind in my swimming, when you are older, you take so long to get back into racing. for your son , he will bounce back fast and strong. good luck.
my doctor is sport med. hospital special surgery nyc:)

nkfrench
July 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Is your son a swimmer ?

Anyhow, I used to build a "nest" in my bed with regular 1980's throw pillows from the sofa to support whatever needed supporting. That can be pretty warm so the thermostat on the AC had to be set for more cooling than usual. The chintz-covered pillows were smoother on the skin than the textured ones, but they slid around more.