PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta 2010: Where's the energy?

dougster
July 20th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Haven't seen much about Atlanta next May. Seems like a National LMSC challenge would get a few swimmers motivated. Seems there ought to be a way to break up teams so that they are roughly comparable. What about a heavyweight division (100+ swimmers), light heavyweight division (75-100) middleweight (50-75) and lightweight (under 50)?

Brian Stack
July 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Haven't seen much about Atlanta next May. Seems like a National LMSC challenge would get a few swimmers motivated. Seems there ought to be a way to break up teams so that they are roughly comparable. What about a heavyweight division (100+ swimmers), light heavyweight division (75-100) middleweight (50-75) and lightweight (under 50)?

There will be plenty of energy directed Atlanta's way, but first we've got a LCM Championship in Indianapolis, SCM season, and the winter to deal with.:D

As far as your suggestion about an LMSC Challenge, see the rule book section on Championship Scoring, or check out these threads:
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=8354&highlight=Championship+Scoring
and:
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=12074&highlight=Championship+Scoring

pwolf66
July 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well, it's never too early to plan so here goes.

I heard some sort of rumor about on campus housing being available for this meet? Has anyone heard that?

Lump
July 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Well, I'm already training towards Atlanta. It will be my first Master's Nationals and should be a GREAT meet. I was just down there last weekend (GA Tech/Olympic Pool) for the Gwinnett Co. Summer League Meet. For those of you that haven't been there...you'll LOVE the facility.:applaud:

Rob Copeland
July 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I heard some sort of rumor about on campus housing being available for this meet? Has anyone heard that?Yes, there will be housing available on campus. Details are still being worked out. As soon as they are we will make all the information available. In the mean time, please don’t call GA Tech for details (a number of people have called already and there is nothing to tell, yet).

Donna
July 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
I just got back from coaching at the 14 & Under State Champs. which were at GA Tech. This went really well, nice facility, had a great time.

Looking forward to everyone coming here for Nat's.

Muppet
July 21st, 2009, 12:39 PM
I heard some sort of rumor about on campus housing being available for this meet? Has anyone heard that?

4 years of college dorms were enough for me.

thewookiee
July 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM
4 years of college dorms were enough for me.

Amen! With atlanta close, it is tempting to just drive back and forth, dependiong on the schedule of events and what events I may want to swim.

tjrpatt
July 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM
I don't care because if it is cheaper than a hotel room, I am in. Just as long as we get our rooms. Then, it will really remind me of dorm life.

Sorry, I am too psyched about Indy to worry about Altanta. I will get the energy for that in March or something.

jonblank
July 24th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Why not just make it a weight-based system, and add 100 lbs to each of your divisions? :afraid:

pwolf66
July 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Why not just make it a weight-based system, and add 100 lbs to each of your divisions? :afraid:

Woot!!! Weight based handicapping? I'm soooooo there!!!!!

:cheerleader:

hinsonj
September 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
I remember seeing something about the dorms being offered at 2010 SCY Ntls. Does anyone know WHEN we will find out about that? I'd like to latch onto that if I can.

BrettMac
November 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Getting my team ready!!! WAHOOOOOOO!!! Should definitely be a good time, the majority of my team will be all first time SCY Masters National swimmers!!!!:chug:

Ahelee Sue Osborn
November 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Getting my team ready!!! WAHOOOOOOO!!! Should definitely be a good time, the majority of my team will be all first time SCY Masters National swimmers!!!!:chug:

Hi Brett!
Where is the pool that your team trains at in Murietta?

Are you bringing your team to Long Beach in December? I think you'll meet up with a lot of swimmers and coaches at the SPMA Championships who are planning to compete in Atlanta!

How lucky is your team to have such an enthusiastic coach!
Keep up the energy, it will definitely pay off :)

Michael Heather
November 8th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm guessing they are training at the HS pool (13 lanes!). Looks like the only pool in town.

BrettMac
November 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I am actually moving to South Carolina (I went to college at Clemson University), so a bunch of college friends and past swimmers are getting back into it and we are going to be joining the same team to get ready for nationals!!!

Anyone have any idea of when we should hear about the dorm situation? I think that can be a lot of fun, taking us back to our college days!!

rdeclercq
November 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm psyched for several reasons:
1. I got back into swimming competitively this year.
2. I qualified for USAT Age Group Nationals for next September (this past weekend) and am still on that rush.
3. I haven't swum SCY competitively since getting back into swimming (only LCM and OWS), so it will be nice to get back to my roots.
4. I used to live in Atlanta so no need to live the dorm life...plenty of friends to stay with.
5. I love swimming in pools built specifically for the Olympics.

See you next May!

Lump
November 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I am actually moving to South Carolina (I went to college at Clemson University)

I'm sorry:badday:

I swam at S. Carolina 89-93:D

BrettMac
November 11th, 2009, 02:38 PM

I am assuming you did not check the most recent swim results between the Tigers and Gamecocks?! ;) haha

Speedo
November 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm sorry:badday:

Then we probably swam at the same meet. I did my lifetime bests in all 3 focus events at the 91 Metro Conference Championships at USC. I swam for College of Charleston and somehow we were invited... Also did a 3-way dual meet in 92 with USC and Florida State. That night I went back to Charleston and managed to put an arm through a plate glass window, ending my college swimming career. But, good memories of that pool.

Lump
November 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I am assuming you did not check the most recent swim results between the Tigers and Gamecocks?! ;) haha

Yes, they are QUITE sad these days, however in my time we went 4-0 over the swim kitties!:D

Lump
November 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Then we probably swam at the same meet. I did my lifetime bests in all 3 focus events at the 91 Metro Conference Championships at USC. I swam for College of Charleston and somehow we were invited... Also did a 3-way dual meet in 92 with USC and Florida State. That night I went back to Charleston and managed to put an arm through a plate glass window, ending my college swimming career. But, good memories of that pool.

Yep, that was back in the days of the Metro Conference and Independant schools. It was always between us FSU and Miami (mostly due to their great divers). I think in 91' I won the 500 and 1650, in 90' I won the 500 but got beat by Keith Frostad (Miami) in the mile. I also swam the 200 Free and 800 Free Relay. We had some great battles with FSU in that relay.

C of C was always our first meet of the season back then. You probably know Kerri Hvizdak then...I swam with her at Dynamo. I also knew Christy Heiser. I always loved going to Charleston, still do.

Speedo
November 12th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Yep, that was back in the days of the Metro Conference and Independant schools. It was always between us FSU and Miami (mostly due to their great divers). I think in 91' I won the 500 and 1650, in 90' I won the 500 but got beat by Keith Frostad (Miami) in the mile. I also swam the 200 Free and 800 Free Relay. We had some great battles with FSU in that relay.

C of C was always our first meet of the season back then. You probably know Kerri Hvizdak then...I swam with her at Dynamo. I also knew Christy Heiser. I always loved going to Charleston, still do.
That was a fast meet- I know it took a lot to win an event there, so winning 2 events is an accomplishment for sure. I managed to make 91' finals in the 100 and 200 Free but went a little slower in the evening in both. Yes, I know Kerri- small world. Christy Heiser also sounds familiar but am not putting a face to the name. Our coach at C of C always wore a waxed handlebar mustache- he said he'd shave a side should any of his swimmers qualify for NCAAs. Unfortunately when I left he still had a full stache because of that friggin' window.

Lump
November 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
That was a fast meet- I know it took a lot to win an event there, so winning 2 events is an accomplishment for sure. I managed to make 91' finals in the 100 and 200 Free but went a little slower in the evening in both. Yes, I know Kerri- small world. Christy Heiser also sounds familiar but am not putting a face to the name. Our coach at C of C always wore a waxed handlebar mustache- he said he'd shave a side should any of his swimmers qualify for NCAAs. Unfortunately when I left he still had a full stache because of that friggin' window.

I got to go to NCAA's for a 800 free relay that year, but we sucked it up at NCAA's. That was the only time and event I went for. I was like an alternate or something in 92' when they limited the number of people per event. I had a good, but at times frustrating swimming career full of just missing NCAA and Olympic Trials a few times. With all the "other" things that surround you in college I had hard time training like I did in HS when school was kind of secondary.

BrettMac
November 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Yes, they are QUITE sad these days, however in my time we went 4-0 over the swim kitties!:D

Well a win is a win, but I do not think a 19.32 on a relay is sad?? haha...I just don't think the chickens are able to handle much pressure...:)

Lump
November 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Well a win is a win, but I do not think a 19.32 on a relay is sad?? haha...I just don't think the chickens are able to handle much pressure...:)

SC always has one or two REALLY good swimmers, but as a whole they are pretty bad....about the worst in the SEC if I remember right. Its too bad, cause we used to be top 20 every year in the day.

When I swam as a Freshman, Clemson had Rick Aronberg, he was a distance stud and taught me a thing or two.

joel schmaltz
November 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I am really looking forward to Atlanta. This will be my first time going to nationals. I started working on my budget for the event last week. I should have started saving last year.:)

Donna
November 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Glad to hear you will be coming Joel. I hope to see you at the N. Myrtle Beach meet too!

joel schmaltz
November 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Glad to hear you will be coming Joel. I hope to see you at the N. Myrtle Beach meet too!
I hope you are doing well Donna!!! We are glad that we (NMB) are hosting the SCY State meet again. I know you will be ready.

BrettMac
November 29th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Anyone have any idea when we will get more information on ON-CAMPUS housing for nationals and how much it is going to cost???

Allen Stark
November 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I wasn't planning to go,but now I may be able to,so I checked the event order and see the MRs are the first event on 2 days with the Mixed MR the event right before the 100 BR.Not to sound like anyone else who complains about event order,but yuck.

Allen Stark
December 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Any idea YET when the on campus housing will be available for reservation?I expect it will go fast and I don't want to miss it.

dougster
January 5th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hi Allen,
I was wondering the same thing, as I heard there would be news after the New Year... can't find anything on USMS or the Georgia Masters Site...

BrettMac
January 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I have been wondering the same thing... A current swimmer for GT gave me the following information concerning reserving a room on-campus...

"About staying in the dorms (from a current member of Georgia Tech Swim & Dive): you can contact GT Conference Services about booking rooms at http://www.conference.gatech.edu/reservations.cfm (http://www.conference.gatech.edu/reservations.cfm) but during the summer, I think they only work with groups of 50 people or more and it will probably be more expensive than just booking a hotel somewhere in Midtown."

Is the above information true?? I would assume they would have a different policy for reserving dorm rooms for nationals, but not sure... :confused:

pwb
January 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I have been wondering the same thing... A current swimmer for GT gave me the following information concerning reserving a room on-campus...

"About staying in the dorms (from a current member of Georgia Tech Swim & Dive): you can contact GT Conference Services about booking rooms at http://www.conference.gatech.edu/reservations.cfm (http://www.conference.gatech.edu/reservations.cfm) but during the summer, I think they only work with groups of 50 people or more and it will probably be more expensive than just booking a hotel somewhere in Midtown."

Is the above information true?? I would assume they would have a different policy for reserving dorm rooms for nationals, but not sure... :confused:

The meet hotels seem to have very good rates for a major metro area - $109 ish range very close to the pool. I have no idea what the dorm rates would be, but it'd have to be very compelling (IMHO) to trade in a nice king sized bed for a dorm bed.

BrettMac
January 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I think staying in the dorms would be much more fun! I would be willing to pay the same price as the hotels that are offered, or even a little more, to stay on campus... Got to love the good ol' college days! :chug:

qbrain
January 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Who is planning on staying at the Ritz? I jest, but I did check, and it was about half what I expected the Ritz to be.

Has anyone checked to find out what the Tech Trolley schedule is going to be? The website just says limited schedule.

It looks like MARTA will get you to the midtown stop (where the Trolley picks up) in 3 minutes and runs every 20 minutes Sat and Sun (every 15 week days) from Peachtree Center which opens up the hotel selections. Nothing to beat $109 that I saw, but most of the loyalty programs seem to be represented there and the prices were decent.

swimshark
January 17th, 2010, 03:39 PM
So far, I have the best hotel price - free. I'm staying with my parents at their house. They live about 30 min away. I will just have to drive down every day. The dorms sound like fun but my parents would be upset if I didn't stay with them.

Allen, did you notice the event order is the same as LCN in Portland? Yup - just different course.

no200fly
January 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know if they will hold the meet in one or two competition pools? I am wondering about a time line for the last day I would be there.

barryf
January 18th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Their bid diagram shows two 10-lane courses in a 50m by 25m pool. The courses start at opposite ends of the pool and end at a bulkhead. There are two bulkheads in the pool.

no200fly
January 19th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks

Allen Stark
January 20th, 2010, 12:12 AM
So far, I have the best hotel price - free. I'm staying with my parents at their house. They live about 30 min away. I will just have to drive down every day. The dorms sound like fun but my parents would be upset if I didn't stay with them.

Allen, did you notice the event order is the same as LCN in Portland? Yup - just different course.

Yep,and I didn't like it then either!

Ramjet08
January 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Does anyone think more folks will attend SCY Nationals this year because high tech tech suits will be illegal as of June 1st? Also, does anyone think that LCM Nationals will have a lower attendance because World Champs are right before that meet?

Just curious........

Thanks
:)

Allen Stark
January 23rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
Does anyone think more folks will attend SCY Nationals this year because high tech tech suits will be illegal as of June 1st? Also, does anyone think that LCM Nationals will have a lower attendance because World Champs are right before that meet?

Just curious........

Thanks
:)

Yes and yes.Also I expect LCM to be smaller than usual because it is outside the continental US.

BigNoodler
January 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I also wonder if 2011 SCY Nats will be smaller than 2010 SCY Nats because of the suit ban. I'm cringing at the thought of possibly buying an inferior kneeskin for just under the price of a B70.

Betsy
January 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
It's possible that 2011 SCY Nationals could be larger than 2010. I have heard some swimmers who do not want to buy a tech suit say that they won't go to nationals until tech suits are gone. They want to compete on an even field. Most of us who enjoy nationals will go regardless of the suit rules. I'm eager to see the new suits with the approved material. I'm really curious about the differences.

shipleywm
January 25th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Tech suits are allowed in Atlanta and THEN no more.

Chris Stevenson
January 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM
It's possible that 2011 SCY Nationals could be larger than 2010. I have heard some swimmers who do not want to buy a tech suit say that they won't go to nationals until tech suits are gone. They want to compete on an even field. Most of us who enjoy nationals will go regardless of the suit rules. I'm eager to see the new suits with the approved material. I'm really curious about the differences.

I think that the tech suit thing will be is a very minor factor in nationals attendance. If you look in appendix F in the Rule Book (http://www.usms.org/rules/appf.pdf) (on the history of USMS), there is a listing of the attendance of nationals by year on pp 160-161. There is pretty much variability from year to year (2006: 1276; 2007: 1456; 2008 1865; 2009 1582).

(And you can answer the following trivia questions: When/where was the first nationals? How many were there?)

Anyway, I think the location of nationals (and possibly the quality of the facility, as well as cost) is the overriding factor determining attendance.

When they received the bid, I thought Atlanta might be a popular one: cheap destination, awesome facility. I would think AZ will probably do well -- the meet in Tempe was well attended in 2003. But who knows?

What I do know is that if I just loved the tech suits but didn't like the nationals city, or if the timing was bad, I very much doubt the swimwear rule would sway me. I'd just taper for Zones and wear the suit there.

Allen Stark
January 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
The main reasons for good attendance at Nats are-location,location,location.The next is if there is a Worlds around that time that slightly decreases turnout.I too doubt a significant suit effect.
Answer to question-Amarillo,TX 1970-I don't remember the exact #,less than 100 I think.

barryf
January 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM
In the first 10 years, the number of swimmers grew rapidly for our Short Course National Championship:

Year Date Location Swimmers
1970 5/23 Amarillo, Tex. 46
1971 5/78 Amarillo, Tex. 108
1972 5/1921 San Mateo, Calif. 325
1973 5/1820 Santa Monica, Calif. 500
1974 5/1719 Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. 561
1975 5/1618 Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. 663
1976 5/1416 Mission Viejo, Calif. 800
1977 5/1315 Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. 611
1978 5/1921 San Antonio, Tex. 560
1979 5/47 Mission Viejo, Calif. 1020

barryf
January 26th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Check out our Executive Directors (Rob Butcher) views on suit regulations for masters swimming and USMS's decision to allow the tech suits for their short course yards meet:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/23200.asp?q=The%20Morning%20Swim%20Show,%20Jan.%20 26,%202010:%20Rob%20Butcher%20on%20Masters%20suit% 20regulations

Allen Stark
January 27th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Still waitng for the on campus housing info.

joy
January 27th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Me too. It was suppose to be out around Jan 1. What's going on people
Anyone know anything about this.

swimcat
January 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
i wish i could answer your questions as i live and swim in atl, but i won't be swimming nats well maybe a relay. i will be working. The cat is a much better long course swimmer.