PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps to race Shaquille O'Neal

That Guy
July 20th, 2009, 09:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4341098

You had to know this was coming. It was only a matter of time, really.

scyfreestyler
July 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
He plans to win.

Redbird Alum
July 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Shaq is only priming his post-career pump with this. He says there's no money in it for the winner, but I'm sure Shaq is getting paid very handsomely by the reality show folks.

aquageek
July 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM
OK, I'll admit it, I love Shaq and think he's an ok dude overall. I even have a Shaq ornament for our family Christmas tree, which gets placed second to last, just before the star topper. I hope he beats Phelps, well, I hope he doesn't drown, maybe that's more realistic.

Redbird Alum
July 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM
... I hope he beats Phelps, well, I hope he doesn't drown, maybe that's more realistic.

I hope Phelps is trained in CPR!! Shaq may need it!

knelson
July 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
If Shaq actually does a start off the blocks against Phelps that alone would make the show worth watching! I don't think Speedo makes a LZR that would fit Shaq, though.

Allen Stark
July 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
I think this is great.More publicity for swimming is always good.I'm surprised the Cavs will let him box though.That seems a lot more dangerous than swimming.Speaking of swimming publicity,did you see the opening of the last Simpsons episode?It was a rerun,but I missed it the first time.It had the family get on starting blocks and race a length.Marge won,Homer was last seen floating face down in his lane.

gull
July 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM
I even have a Shaq ornament for our family Christmas tree, which gets placed second to last, just before the star topper.

Where does the Richard Petty ornament go?

orca1946
July 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
I wonder how many feet head start he will need ??

funkyfish
July 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
They could have them both shoot 5 free throws before the race. Shaq could get a 2 second head start for each shot he makes. For each shot Phelps makes, they take off 1 second of Shaq's head start.
:banana:

Jim B.
July 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM
They could have them both shoot 5 free throws before the race. Shaq could get a 2 second head start for each shot he makes. For each shot Phelps makes, they take off 1 second of Shaq's head start.
:banana:

Shaq is a career .528 FT shooter. I think he will need more help than that.

quicksilver
July 21st, 2009, 08:54 PM
At the very least it should be much more eventful than his race against Anderson Cooper.

YouTube - Anderson Cooper vs. Michael Phelps

tjrpatt
July 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
Can Shaq even swim? Hopefully, they do in a 25 yard or meter pool because Shaq might be able to reach the other side of the pool with just a dive. Isn't he like 9 feet tall with thosr monstrous arms. Also, is Shaq going to use a stunt swimmer like he does with the "stunt" back in his Icy Hot Commericals, just asking!!!!

knelson
July 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
At the very least it should be much more eventful than his race against Anderson Cooper.

Andy could use a little technique work, but he's actually not a bad swimmer! He did that 25 in under 15 seconds. Not bad for someone wearing baggy shorts.

Lump
July 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM

YouTube - Anderson Cooper vs. Michael Phelps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkbrdwL6bbE)

AC just wanted the chance to check out Phelps "package".:agree:

tjrpatt
July 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
AC just wanted the chance to check out Phelps "package".:agree:

You know that he went through leaps and bounds to get that interview.

stillwater
July 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Notice that AC called it a lap?

tjrpatt
July 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Notice that AC called it a lap?

What an amateur? He doesn't speak swimming but he probably speaks other forms of slang!!!

chaos
July 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
I think this is great.More publicity for swimming is always good.

hmmmmm..... was this good for boxing?

YouTube - Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki

3strokes
July 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
I wonder how many feet head start he will need ??

What size feet?

Maui Mike
July 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
If Shaq actually does a start off the blocks against Phelps that alone would make the show worth watching! I don't think Speedo makes a LZR that would fit Shaq, though.

Maybe the guys who make pond liners could whip him up a decent tech suit? Anything would be better than Shaq in a marble bag.

ALM
September 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
We just watched it. The show was pretty funny - they kept it entertaining. It looked like Phelps wasn't swimming as fast as he could have, although it was filmed when he had an ankle injury. It looked like he had to dolphin kick for the breaststroke leg of his IM.

Couroboros
September 16th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I caught the breaststroke DK-ing too. You could tell they tried not to show too much of it, especially since breast is already his weakest stroke.

It was fun to see Shaq win a race, even if it was heavily handicapped. He had me and my brother rolling on the floor every few minutes with his remarks. Interesting that a guy Shaq's size still can't match what Phelps has for lunch.

I was a little disappointed they didn't show more underwaters of Phelps swimming, obviously... not very much to see in the way of technique... guess we'll just have to continue relying on the legendary freestyle multi-angle video.

And I can swim faster than Shaq! :D

ehoch
September 16th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Phelps must have been hurting pretty bad - those times were not very good.

frankiej
September 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Damn, I kinda wanna see this....

Warren
September 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM
What race did they do and how big of a head start did shaq get?

geminidragonizer
September 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Saw the show and I gotta say I was pretty impressed with Shaq. We all thought he was going to just fail, but he was actually a pretty competent swimmer for someone who probably never swam before this competition.

Props to Shaq. Now let's see how Phelps shoots a basketball.

lefty
September 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
details of the event for people who didn't see it....

redstripe
September 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM

They did three races at a Baltimore university pool, SCM. Shaq was in a LZR for the first two races, and in briefs for the third. Bob Bowman coached Shaq.

1) Phelps swam 50m, Shaq swam 25. Phelps also got a 5 second head-start. Shaq beat him by a stroke (23.14 & 24.03).

2) Phelps swam a 200IM, Shaq swam the anchor leg of a relay medley, with three female swimmers as teammates (don't remember the names: two olympic gold-medalists & a WR-setter). They went Fly-Back-Brest-Free, so the backstroker on Shaq's team got to start off the blocks & SDK. Phelps edged out Shaq at the end.

3) I think this one was Phelps to swim 75, Shaq to swim 50. Phelps won.

And yeah, Phelps was in a leg cast (from a car accident), and didn't look to be swimming all that hard, even at the end of the races. He didn't SDK much off the walls.

ehoch
September 16th, 2009, 01:08 PM
They had a good set-up - indoors in a 25 yards pool. Looked like they did pack the place.

The training - Bowman helped Shaq out a little bit. His stroke was actually not too bad. What bothers me about the show was how little training and preparation Shaq did for this - in this one and all his other shows, it seemed like he only worked out one or two times. A few more workouts and he could have done MUCH better. for example, he never learned a good push off the wall - with a little practice and effort, he would have dropped a second or more right there.

The races:
Race 1: Phelps did a 50 from a push with a 5 second head start to Shaq doing a 25. Shaq won -- but Phelps only did a 24.0. His ankle was not good - he could barely dolphin kick at all.

Race 2: Relay 200 IM for Phelps against Dana Vollmer FLy / Kukors Back / Soni Breast and Shaq Free. The girls got a huge lead for Shaq, but Phelps got him on the Free. Again - Phelps went a 1:54 or so - that is about 10 seconds slower than even an average race for him. No breast kick and barely any underwaters - he was up at the flags in the backstroke ...

Race 3: From a push - they took off the LZR for this one. SHaq did a 50 and phelps did a 75. Phelps won by a 1/10th or so - but 38.7 is very slow.

It was a pretty good show overall - does anybody know what on earth SHAQ has tatooed on his chest that they have to cover it for TV ???

Maui Mike
September 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I believe they were racing scm? And Shaq went 38+ for a fifty from a push. He may be the only guy in the world who kicks worse than me. But with a few corrections and a months practice, I think he'd be down close to 30 seconds!

Maui Mike
September 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
ehoch

You may be right about the pool length --- but Phelps 38 second for a 75 sounds way too slow.

funkyfish
September 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I just watched the race portion on youtube (missed the episode last night). Did Shaq wind up synchro swimming?
:bliss::bliss::bliss:

aquageek
September 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I was pretty impressed with Shaq and he remains one of my all time favorite athletes.

Couroboros
September 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
You should be able to view the last episode here (abc.go.com/watch/clip/shaq-vs/SH011731130000).

Phelps always get these little injuries which trip up his swimming every once in a while. Heck, when he broke his wrist, he actually used that to improve his kick... he'll probably get out of this bum ankle better than ever.

hofffam
September 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I too saw the show. I was very impressed with Shaq. Just think how fast he could go if he spent a few weeks in the pool. His times were not bad at all with no streamline whatsoever and that huge wide-leg kick of his.

Phelps looked like he was going slow on purpose in the IM. It wasn't just his ankle. His backstroke looked terrible and he popped to the surface on every turn. His freestyle looked fast enough when he wanted it to be.

Staged nicely though all around. Shaq was funny and seemed to appreciate Bowman's help. Notice he called him "sir?"

Thrashing Slug
September 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I just watched this today. Shaq and Phelps were both great. They made the show very entertaining. Lots of great smack talk and pre-race build up. It's cool to see how well Shaq researches everything. You can tell that he does his homework and learns everything he can about both his competitors and the sport he is competing in. I am sure that quality helped him get where he is in basketball.

Shaq did pretty well in the pool considering how little he trained. If he tightened up his streamline and got rid of that scissor kick, he would be pretty fast.

Thrashing Slug
September 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Here's the episode, thanks to @NatalieCoughlin who tweeted it.

Hulu - Shaq Vs: Season Finale - Watch the full episode now.@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/bAdBuPiX1V6NFJD1e8B83g@@AMEPARAM@@bAdBuPiX1V6NFJD1 e8B83g

Jazz Hands
September 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I don't get this show. If you choose the right handicap, anyone can beat anyone at anything.

frankiej
September 16th, 2009, 07:46 PM
That was pretty entertaining! You could tell Phelps was a bit slow. It seems he was basically just kicking with one leg and just keeping the injured ankle afloat.

When he was doing his SDK's he was only moving one foot so, he was deff at a disadvantage.

Entertaining though!:applaud:

pwolf66
September 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I believe they were racing scm? And Shaq went 38+ for a fifty from a push. He may be the only guy in the world who kicks worse than me. But with a few corrections and a months practice, I think he'd be down close to 30 seconds!

That setup is scy. Maybe on that time, heck the guys 10 feet tall!!!!

quicksilver
September 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
That was very entertaining. The ladies were moving along pretty fast.

The producers must have timed it just right for a neck and neck finish.
The underwater camera momentarily caught Phelps slowing down with his hands when he went into the wall on the backstroke flip.

knave
September 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Definitely a SCY setup - you can tell most easily from the ladies' splits in the medley relay. Phelps was clearly pacing himself to ensure a close finish. But whatever it lacked in realism, it was great marketing for the sport, and highly entertaining.

Would be interesting to hear from any Bal'moreans who attended in person?

__steve__
September 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Still very impressive for Shaq. He probably has a 50M pool in his house to swim in though.

3strokes
September 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM

It's all over youtube...........

Chris Stevenson
September 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
I thought Shaq was hilarious. And pretty darn brave to do something like this on national TV, so far out of his natural element.

Did anyone else think his swimming was a little like Paul Wolf's...? :bolt:

pwolf66
September 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
Did anyone else think his swimming was a little like Paul Wolf's...? :bolt:

WTF? Here I am minding my own business and I get hit with a drive by.

Nice, Chris, very nice. I'd say you'd pay for that but I'd have to catch you first.

orca1946
September 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Nothing wrong with more people looking at our sport !!

TRYM_Swimmer
September 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
I missed this one, but caught the beach volleyball. Shaq was pretty destroyed in that one. Not even close. Good they got a little more parity in this one.