PDA

View Full Version : Forums Get-Together at LC Nationals?

ALM
July 22nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
I have read the previous threads, and seen the photographic evidence (e.g., Jim Thornton + My Little Pony), about the Forums get-togethers at the Colonies Zone meets.

Is anyone interested in a get-together at Nationals in Indy? Saturday night after the relays, maybe?

tjrpatt
July 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
I am in but please, somewhere economical yet good.

Bobinator
July 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I live in Carmel, Indiana (about 30 minutes from nat). We could come here. My house is pretty bad but I have a decent patio/pool in my backyard.
You would have to let me know how many people and what you want. I could get a keg of beer, make margarita's, or whatever.
I will be swimming relays all day so I can't be home cooking.
Let me know what people in the past have done. I am swimming every day except Sunday. The only event I'm really working for is the 1,500 on monday.
Let's do it!

jim thornton
July 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
The Academy Bullets team, with Chris Colburn as impresario, has magnetized a number of us forumites who couldn't get enough people together in our pathetic LMSC's to form a single relay. Anyhow, I can't remember which night--but it may be Saturday. They arranged a get together someplace in Indy, and I think a bunch of forumites and Team Hot Tubbers from around the country were going to go.

I will try to get more info, but perhaps this would be a natural forum for forumites?

Does the Fortress have any more details here?

waves101
July 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
I'm probably more of a lurker but I'd be interested.

aquaFeisty
July 22nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Academy Bullets and Team Hot Tub are getting together at Buca di Beppo on Saturday night after relays. Since this is in a private room at the restaurant, I honestly don't know how many people we can add to our 'count', which was sent in yesterday (I know we have some flexibility though). Send me a PM if you're interested or want the details.

We had a blast meeting forumites in Austin last year, so I think it would be good to do get-togethers on multiple nights! In Austin, we met up at different restaurants on each night. Bobinator's backyard sounds great too. You'll be able to find a bunch of us hanging out at the pool by the Academy Bullets team banner. This banner has a lovely depiction of a flying bullet, yet really it reminds most of a flying body part. Come find the Hot Tubbers and we can figure something out at the meet. Since I shall be toting the two young offspring of Coach Chris (aka my hubby) I'm up for something cheap and easy.

Bobinator
July 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Well i'm up for it, where ever it is!
I would love to have people over but I really don't want to fund a party for hundreds on my own. I'm really not sure how to approach this.
Any advice here is welcome.

jim thornton
July 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Since Bobinator is the only reason that two of the Academy Bullet carpet baggers from PA (me and the legendary Bill White) can even afford to attend this meet,

And since Bobinator is a leading contender for the Leslie "The Fortress" Livingston Memorial Award, Midwestern Compound Division,

I hereby declare that Bobinator can share my seat at the banquet on Saturday night, though it is yet to be decided if she will be sitting in my lap, or me in hers.

I will also split my food with her, or give all of it to her, or, depending on whether or not I am able to shake my current H1N1/H5N1 chimeric fluishness, feed it to her wolf-parent style.

Anything to show my gratitude to the kindest human being in the central time zone!

Allen Stark
July 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
How about Fri instead of Sat.I don't know about everyone else but my team won't have many people there so relay day will be low key where as Sun is the 200 BR which for me is not low pressure so I would not be good company on Sat PM(unless your idea of a good time is watching a 60 year old man obsess.) I would like to see Y'all though!

The Fortress
July 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
I vote for Friday too, as I will be a Bullet on Saturday night.

Can anyone recommend restaurants? I'd like to eat every night actually!

tjrpatt
July 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Friday sounds wonderful since I don't have to do relays on Saturday. :)

SwimRobin
July 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Sounds like lots of fun, please count me in! My feeling is that many teams will be planning outings on Saturday night because of it being relay day. Friday night might actually be a better night to plan a gathering because more people would feel like they could come. And, you could cut loose if you wanted to, knowing you didn't have any individual events the next day!

pwolf66
July 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
cheap and easy.

MUST.....RESIST......

jim thornton
July 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
I would not be good company on Sat PM(unless your idea of a good time is watching a 60 year old man obsess.)

Actually, Allen, at 56 (FINA 57), I am quite sure I would enjoy watching a psychiatrically trained master of obsessionality practice the art. I am similarly quite sure I would be able to pick up some valuable pointers for my own obsessionality, which has been lackluster at best.

Well, now that I think about it a little, maybe I am not quite sure after all. But very, very sure--up to 99.9999 percent sure!

But putting it that way, it's not really very reassuring, is it? I mean, if something has a 1 in ten thousand chance of not coming true, it's not like you can totally relax, close your eyes, and expect to open them up sooner or later with the reward you are hoping for in the bag!

I mean it might be in the bag. 9,999 times out of 10,000 it will be in the bag. But that certainly doesn't guarantee the bag won't be empty, a yawning pit of discouragement, misery, and yet another false hope proven again to the aspirer's detriment and broken dreams and...

Or, to put it in slightly more concrete terms, who among us would take a revolver with 10,000 empty chambers--or 100,000 chambers, or a million--and into one of these insert a single Teflon-coated skull-buster bullet, snap the revolving cylinder into place, stick the snub nose against our own temple--or, if you do not prefer, the temple of a loved one!--and confidently pull the trigger, no cold sweat trickling down, no zero at the bone?

None of us, that is who!

Not a single one.

Well maybe a sociopath. Maybe a Mr. Negative. But not very, very many.

Oh, why must life be so riddled with uncertainty?

Why is there nothing you can hang your hat on, nothing you can be absolutely sure will keep your hat off the ground, not just probably off the floor, or potentially off the floor. Assuming the floor itself does not disappear into an earthquake's yawning chasm!

And don't get me started on Allen's breaststroke turns at Nationals. If there is anything less certain in life than a smooth and streamlined breaststroke pushoff from the slippery walls of Indianapolis, I am pretty sure I do not know what it is.

No! Of this, I am absolutely certain. I absolutely sure that nothing comes close to the uncertainty of breaststroke turns in Indiana, especially when one is not used to the time zone there.

I am pretty sure of it.

Allen Stark
July 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Actually, Allen, at 56 (FINA 57), I am quite sure I would enjoy watching a psychiatrically trained master of obsessionality practice the art. I am similarly quite sure I would be able to pick up some valuable pointers for my own obsessionality, which has been lackluster at best.

Well, now that I think about it a little, maybe I am not quite sure after all. But very, very sure--up to 99.9999 percent sure!

But putting it that way, it's not really very reassuring, is it? I mean, if something has a 1 in ten thousand chance of not coming true, it's not like you can totally relax, close your eyes, and expect to open them up sooner or later with the reward you are hoping for in the bag!

I mean it might be in the bag. 9,999 times out of 10,000 it will be in the bag. But that certainly doesn't guarantee the bag won't be empty, a yawning pit of discouragement, misery, and yet another false hope proven again to the aspirer's detriment and broken dreams and...

Or, to put it in slightly more concrete terms, who among us would take a revolver with 10,000 empty chambers--or 100,000 chambers, or a million--and into one of these insert a single Teflon-coated skull-buster bullet, snap the revolving cylinder into place, stick the snub nose against our own temple--or, if you do not prefer, the temple of a loved one!--and confidently pull the trigger, no cold sweat trickling down, no zero at the bone?

None of us, that is who!

Not a single one.

Well maybe a sociopath. Maybe a Mr. Negative. But not very, very many.

Oh, why must life be so riddled with uncertainty?

Why is there nothing you can hang your hat on, nothing you can be absolutely sure will keep your hat off the ground, not just probably off the floor, or potentially off the floor. Assuming the floor itself does not disappear into an earthquake's yawning chasm!

And don't get me started on Allen's breaststroke turns at Nationals. If there is anything less certain in life than a smooth and streamlined breaststroke pushoff from the slippery walls of Indianapolis, I am pretty sure I do not know what it is.

No! Of this, I am absolutely certain. I absolutely sure that nothing comes close to the uncertainty of breaststroke turns in Indiana, especially when one is not used to the time zone there.

I am pretty sure of it.

Please call my office to set up an appointment.The walls at Indy are fine,I am more concerned that after taking 25 min to get on my suit it will have a wardrobe malfunction.In answer to another thread:What to do to warm up at Nationals" the answer is "put on your suit".

ALM
July 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Um, well, someone made me buy a ticket for the baseball game/social Friday night, so I guess that's where I'll be that night. :sad: Maybe we'll try to hook up with Team Hottub for Saturday night. And I do expect all Forumites to seek me out for introductions at the pool...:hug:

tjrpatt
July 22nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Um, well, someone made me buy a ticket for the baseball game/social Friday night, so I guess that's where I'll be that night. :sad: Maybe we'll try to hook up with Team Hottub for Saturday night. And I do expect all Forumites to seek me out for introductions at the pool...:hug:

Well, I know what Jim looks like so it won't be that hard to seek you out.

ALM
July 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Oh, and also, I am awarding a very special prize to the miracle worker who can fix my pathetic freestyle. I can only swim three individual events (one each day) so I'll have plenty of time to kill in the warmup pool...

jim thornton
July 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
I am going to be helping Allen develop a little detachment with regards to his obsessional features, which alternate with denial, syncopated by occasional intrusions of intellectualism as noted in the oft-cited medical chestnut:

See one
Do one
Teach one
Repeat

After all, isn't this what swimming in a cold liquid box is really all about? Meticulously prescribed lane lines that can not be breached; Euclidian geometry in mainly two dimensions, with just a touch of a third appearing at regular intervals, precision, invariability, order: a sterilized-by-chlorine perfect backdrop for improvement of ones self by the bludgeoning into silence of the brain, so that memory is no longer of the mind but of the muscle.

When you have read and understood the wisdom of what I have written above, under the influence of Sonata, and you can not only parrot it back to me verbatim but explain its sense in a way that I can understand, then we shall both be liberated enough to begin work, Anna Lea, on your freestyle!

And by then, of course, our newly minted sexagenarian will need no breaststroking assistance from the likes of youngsters like us!

Mr. Furious
July 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
There are a few forum butts that need to be ...reeducated. I'll be there.

Jayhawk- I'll fix your freestyle for you and you can save the special award- I have plenty.

Allen Stark
July 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM
So are we going to get together and if so where do we meet?(Again I prefer Fri to Sat.)

jim thornton
July 31st, 2009, 03:51 PM
I suggest that unless we hear something soon, we:

Gravitate on Friday and during the meet in the general direction of Leslie the Fortress Livingston and Robin the Bobinator Walker, two wonderful women who are:

wonderful
women
social
able to organize things and rally support for them
logistically capable
multi-processing wizards
and Bobinator, for her part, knows Indianapolis quite well

Let these two be the ultimate Deciders who will temper their decision with whatever input you would like to add (realize this input will be taken under advisement but may or may not be implemented because of the group's greater need than that of any individual. For example, Mr. Furious might well prefer to eat at Indianapolis's top-rated Steak Brothel, but this could potentially conflict with the needs of asexual vegetarians or those allergic to sushi.)

You will be able to find Leslie, I am pretty sure, by searching out the Academy Bullets banner, if the Academy Bullets have a banner. She will quite possibly also be in the occasional worshipping company of Paul Man Mountain Wolfe and Jim Molehill Thornton.

It is really too bad that Mermaid is not attending this meet, because she has a certain neon sign quality that is difficult to overlook.

As for Bobinator, I am hoping she and her fellow NASTI's will allow us Capital Bullet Carpetbaggers to hang out with her, too.

So, in summary:

Posters festivities Friday night at a place and time to be decided at the meet on Friday

See Bobinator and Leslie on Friday at the meet for more details

If you won't be at the meet on Friday but still want to join us that night, call someone who will be at the meet that can "tell you where to go."

Okay, signing off for now.

Remember: all the above is only a suggestion. Leslie and Bob, feel free to overrule me. I like strong women!

tjrpatt
July 31st, 2009, 05:57 PM
I suggest that unless we hear something soon, we:

Gravitate on Friday and during the meet in the general direction of Leslie the Fortress Livingston and Robin the Bobinator Walker, two wonderful women who are:

wonderful
women
social
able to organize things and rally support for them
logistically capable
multi-processing wizards
and Bobinator, for her part, knows Indianapolis quite well

Let these two be the ultimate Deciders who will temper their decision with whatever input you would like to add (realize this input will be taken under advisement but may or may not be implemented because of the group's greater need than that of any individual. For example, Mr. Furious might well prefer to eat at Indianapolis's top-rated Steak Brothel, but this could potentially conflict with the needs of asexual vegetarians or those allergic to sushi.)

You will be able to find Leslie, I am pretty sure, by searching out the Academy Bullets banner, if the Academy Bullets have a banner. She will quite possibly also be in the occasional worshipping company of Paul Man Mountain Wolfe and Jim Molehill Thornton.

It is really too bad that Mermaid is not attending this meet, because she has a certain neon sign quality that is difficult to overlook.

As for Bobinator, I am hoping she and her fellow NASTI's will allow us Capital Bullet Carpetbaggers to hang out with her, too.

So, in summary:

Posters festivities Friday night at a place and time to be decided at the meet on Friday

See Bobinator and Leslie on Friday at the meet for more details

If you won't be at the meet on Friday but still want to join us that night, call someone who will be at the meet that can "tell you where to go."

Okay, signing off for now.

Remember: all the above is only a suggestion. Leslie and Bob, feel free to overrule me. I like strong women!

That sucks that the lovely Mermaid won't be in attendance in Indy.

The Fortress
July 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM

No!!!!!!!! I am in serious need of time off from multi-tasking. I would like to dine with and chat up forumites on Friday, but someone else has to pick the dang place.

And if I don't get to meet Allen Stark finally, I might just have a blubbering crybaby fit.

tjrpatt
July 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Did anyone hear about this great Jewish Deli Indy? I was told about it from one of my training mates but he didn't know the name. The food is supposed to be really good there too.

Can't wait to see everyone!!!!

The Fortress
August 4th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Heard these were good spots downtown:

Restaurants:
Scholars Inn (on Mass)
Agio (on Mass)
Rathskellar (on Michigan, just off Mass)
MacNiven's (Scottish restaurant/pub on Mass)
Barcelona (the tapas place) (corner of Ohio and Delaware)
Harry & Izzy's (corner of Maryland and Illinois) (St. Elmo's spinoff that is a bit more modern and not as expensive)
For breakfast/lunch, Cafe Patachou at Washington and Capitol is really good. Also, Hoaglin's Cafe on Mass.

Bobinator listed a bunch more on her blog as well.

Bobinator
August 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Sorry, I feel like I dropped the ball on this one. I have been out of town, attending a funeral, and at a teacher retreat since last Sat.
I say we all hook up Friday during the meet, figure out who all is going and what kind of food they like, then just head out to the closest place that foots the bill.
There's a great Italian place (Milano Inn) on south meridian that has some private rooms. I would/could reserve it if I had a good idea of how many people we would be having. There's also a sort-of gourmet mexican place on E. Washington that may have a party room if we were more in the mood for mexican. Scholars Inn is good but I am not sure if they have a room we could have.
I will see you all soon! This is going to be one big pool party! :bouncing:

Allen Stark
August 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Maybe most of you E Coaster's know each other,but I don't know what people look like and very few of you use your real name.I am also directionally challenged(I get lost easily) so I need some very basic instructions where and when to meet if I'm going to make it.I am staying at University Place if that helps.

tjrpatt
August 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Maybe most of you E Coaster's know each other,but I don't know what people look like and very few of you use your real name.I am also directionally challenged(I get lost easily) so I need some very basic instructions where and when to meet if I'm going to make it.I am staying at University Place if that helps.

Allen, I will be at the pool about 4PM ish. I will be the middle linebacker looking guy in a white Colonials 1776 cap.