PDA

View Full Version : New swimmer

landman
July 22nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
I want to become an expert at treading water effieciently without gettin tired fast. I have a huge fear of deep water and am not very good at swimming, with freestyle I give it all I got and move pretty fast but, trying to retain air is hard for me. I need 1-2 sec. to get air. When trying to get air everytime I get water in my mouth/nose panic and sink. Do I just turn my neck to the side facing towards my arm pit or my whole half side? What is the name of the stroke similar to free style but with my head above water?

Today I practiced treading water in the ocean sometimes I could float ok other times I would sink or slowly sink no matter how fast moved my arms legs. I cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong. Cupping my hands should I my fingers be faceing down or ahead of me when doing circular motions? When doing eggbeater kicks should my legs be wide spread apart or narrow? How high should my arms be?

FridayGrrl
July 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Welcome Landman,

Trying to figure out technique right now might just be putting the cart before the horse. it sounds like your fear and anxiety about the water will prevent you from doing anything very effectively in your quest. If you address those fears first, learning new technique will be much easier and safer.

My suggestion would be to contact Melon Dash, at Miracle Swimming. www.conquerfear.com

Melon specializes in teaching afraid students. Her methodology is great and she has an amazing success rate. Once she helps a student overcome fear, she also has technique courses to help them progress. She also has a book and DVD.

Best of luck to you!

bud
July 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
for me the key to easy treading water is lung capacity.

i suppose it is partly genetics, and i'm sure practice has a lot to do with it, but i have really good lung capacity. i'm fairly lean and muscular, yet i can float on my back with my toes out of the water... but only when i get my lungs fully pumped up with air.

i've studied yoga a fair amount, with substantial practice on yogic breathing techniques. i'm sure that would help anyone's breathing and lung capacity. i know for sure that years of swimming has enhanced my lung capacity (or at least boosted my efficiency of using what i got). ;)

as for technique treading water i use a scissors kick, with a very slow rhythm. and a easy rhythm of sculling with the hands... if i want to hold my head out of the water. if i lay my head back i will mostly float, lightly scull with hands, and not really kick at all.

the egg-beater kick i think is more for power, to lift you out of the water. used mostly in water polo, synchronized swimming, rescue swimming, etc.

like anything else in swimming, you get the most out of your stroke the better your grip is on the water (hands/arms or feet/legs). i suggest trying different kick and stroke techniques until you find what feels best for getting a good grip on the water. easier said than done of course... water is pretty slippery stuff... but that is what practice is for.
:)

geochuck
July 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Most important thing in treading water is the sculling action of the hands. Glenn Mills explains it well here in what he calls Smart Hands http://www.goswim.tv/entries/1398/all-strokes---smart-hands.html

Lui
July 23rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
I have a huge fear of deep water and am not very good at swimming, with freestyle I give it all I got and move pretty fast but, trying to retain air is hard for me. I need 1-2 sec. to get air. When trying to get air everytime I get water in my mouth/nose panic and sink. Do I just turn my neck to the side facing towards my arm pit or my whole half side? What is the name of the stroke similar to free style but with my head above water?

It's all a matter of practice. When I first started learning freestyle I was in great shape from years of cycling and had a great lung capacity. I was good at breast stroke but when I tried freestyle I still sank like a rock and struggled, swallowed water, choked and panicked. The reason was I was swimming the wrong technique.

The best way to learn is to find a coach who will practice your technique step by step. I would try to learn to swim properly and with time your fear will go away too.
Good luck

Bobinator
July 23rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
I agree the sculling motion is the most important. I could easily scull all day and not use my legs if I had to.
I think you should learn and practice all this stuff in a diving well(not the ocean). Once you have mastered it and feel comfortable you can move to the ocean. Why put yourself in a dangerous situation before you really know what you are doing. I don't know about you but I learn better when I'm relaxed.

orca1946
July 23rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
It takes MORE energy to tread water than swim !! Try to learn to swim & move forward rather than stay in one place.

scyfreestyler
July 23rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
The best way to learn is to find a coach who will practice your technique step by step. I would try to learn to swim properly and with time your fear will go away too.
Good luck

Preferably a thin coach, right? :bolt:

Lui
July 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Preferably a thin coach, right? :bolt:

No, any coach at a local swimming club who doesn't charge a fortune will do;)

geochuck
July 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
No, any coach at a local swimming club who doesn't charge a fortune will do;)

Not just any coach the coach should know something about swimming.

Lui
July 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Not just any coach the coach should know something about swimming.

Well, I obviously didn't mean a football coachl:D

geochuck
July 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
You must realize there are some so called swim coaches who do not know anything about swimming technique. There are lots that do. But many of the coaches I have met are not coaches they are trainers.

GaryBarg
July 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Just finished Melon's Freestyle class. It's exactly what I needed. Was continually hitting a wall with what I thought was only the "breathing" with freestyle - well, it's more than that and I am progressing now into the breathing. If you are a beginner and have any fear/anxiety with water, her class is great.