PDA

View Full Version : N00B

runner64
July 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hey all,

found this forum while doing some searches about various questions I had about swimming.

Let me start off by saying that I'm 45 years old, have never nor will ever swim competatively. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy in the world and won't even pretend to be. Spen t 4 years as a kid going to YMCA summer camps, was quite proficient a swimmer in my early to mid teens with an excellent back stroke.

Anyway, after a VERY long time away I've recently started swimming laps at the local Y pool as part of my XT. I run "competaviley" (meaning I run a lot of races, generally finish in the middle of the pack), and thought swimming would be a great way to compliment my running. I've grown bored with strength training and this seems to suit me very well.

My current routine consists of mixing breast stroke and freestyle. Currently up to 650M(if I'm translating this right, basing it on the number of laps the LG told me I'd need to swim to complete a mile) 2-3x weekly, looking to add 50-100 meters per week in an attempt to get to a mile.

Have to say I really love the feeling swimming gives me, it's the same kind of rush I get from cranking out a good long run.

Hope to get some good training tips from reading over posts in this forum.

bamueller
July 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the forums!

After a long hiatus from swimming, I found myself back in the pool over a year ago, and joined my local master's team. It's been great for me. It is fun and varied, and has kept me consistenly doing cardio for an hour about 5-6 times a week, not to mention, swimming is much less impact on the joints.

Keep it up, and don't be shy about asking questions. You might even inquire about your local master's teams. All abilities are encouraged.

Midas
July 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
Welcome (back) to swimming! I hope you enjoy it.

Here's a link to a workout strategy to get up to being able to swim a mile straight in 6 weeks. It worked for me when I got back into swimming: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

Good luck and keep it up!

runner64
July 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Welcome (back) to swimming! I hope you enjoy it.

Here's a link to a workout strategy to get up to being able to swim a mile straight in 6 weeks. It worked for me when I got back into swimming: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

Good luck and keep it up!

thanks, I'm going to check this out.