PDA

View Full Version : Speed Demon A plain English guide to swimming sprint freesty

fionam_holt
July 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hi,
My book Speed Demon has been mentioned as "recently read" on the USMS magazine website. I'm based in the UK and don't subscribe - can anyone tell me if there are any further comments about it?
Thanks
Fiona Holt

ALM
July 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Here is the blurb from the print version of USMS Swimmer magazine. They usually feature one or two swimming-related books in each issue. It does not say who wrote this review.

Recently Read
"Speed Demon: A Plain English Guide to Swimming Sprint Freestyle," by Fiona Holt, is a must-have book for all competitive sprint freestyle swimmers.

"It doesn't just tell you how, it tells you why," Holt says, "and it tells you in plain and simple English with analogies as explanations rather than complicated mathematical proofs." The book is not full of complicated formulas and physiology. Instead it uses simple analogies from everyday life, making the book accessible to all swimmers.

Holt says the book's main goal is to highlight the importance of technical analysis. But while technique is important, it is not viewed in isolation. "Speed Demon" is a complete strategy for sprinting success and is full of tips on how to achieve it (including some gleaned from Olympic swimmers). Nobody likes battling with concepts they do not fully understand. With its plain English style this is an easy read, of interest to young adults and Masters swimmers.

"Speed Demon is available at local booksellers and online, or by download at www.lulu.com.

So, Fiona, can you give us a little of your background? Are you a swimmer? What made you decide to write this book? How did you do your research?

fionam_holt
July 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hi
Thanks for that. My emails to the USMS just kept bouncing!

I competed at county and regional level in the UK for over a decade.
It took me years to truely understand my event.I didn't want it all to condense into a blur and be of no use to anyone so after I retired I decided to put it out there for people to love or hate. So many swimming texts these days are a real slog to get through. I have a PhD and I find them tough going. I wanted to write something that was accessible to everyone (both in comprehension and price). I hope I managed it.
Any constructive feedback would be most welcome, but please, not the typos - believe me I know about them already!
Fiona

SolarEnergy
July 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Hi
Thanks for that. My emails to the USMS just kept bouncing!

I competed at county and regional level in the UK for over a decade.
It took me years to truely understand my event.I didn't want it all to condense into a blur and be of no use to anyone so after I retired I decided to put it out there for people to love or hate. So many swimming texts these days are a real slog to get through. I have a PhD and I find them tough going. I wanted to write something that was accessible to everyone (both in comprehension and price). I hope I managed it.
Any constructive feedback would be most welcome, but please, not the typos - believe me I know about them already!
Fiona For someone that already owns, understands and love Maglisco's Swimming Fastest, what value would you book add?

fionam_holt
July 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Ernest Maglischo is a great book ... practically legendary. If it answers all your needs then I wouldn't suggest Speed Demon is right for you.

fionam_holt
September 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Hi all,
Speed Demon has now been properly proof read and a revised edition has been released. Figure 2 and its supporting text have also been clarified.

I welcome constructive feedback if anybody out there wants to use the forum as a means to do this. There is also a private e-mail address on the back of the book if you prefer.

Best wishes,
Fiona Holt (author)

geochuck
September 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Books about swimming - too many look at these books as swimming bibles. Most swimmers who read them think they are on the way to the Olympics. Reading books no matter who the author will not get you there. If you search inside you will find page 8 a very true statement. I believe Fiona has written a clear simple explantion of how to swim fast.

I did read a page and it is very good Amazon.com: Speed Demon - A plain English guide to swimming sprint freestyle (9781409267911): Fiona Holt: Books

fionam_holt
September 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
This publishing business is never ending!
I just went to Amazon - via your link (thanks for that) - to find out what on earth I'd written on page 8, and realised that the 'search inside' on Amazon is still the old version with the typing errors in. If a few typos are the kind of thing that bother people, I suggest they search inside on Lulu.com. Lulu are the publishers and you can, incidentally, download the book from them for less than the cost of the paper copy. The download should be about $8.

I absolutely agree that 'doing' is better than 'reading'. The book frequently aims to give you the pros and cons of different technical approaches and then suggests you go and experiment and find out what works for you. It is designed to explain your options and act as a stimulus for thought, rather than a prescriptive recipe for success - there is, of course, no such thing.

orca1946
September 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Good, it sounds as if this is a good one to read. Thanx for the tip,