PDA

View Full Version : 100 fly LCM versus SCY

Red60
July 24th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Here's a quick question, which may have a mathematical answer: what is the relationship between the 100 fly LCM and SCY? Have swum the latter, not the former. Yes, I recognize that the distance is approximately 10 percent greater. But 1.1 does not seem likely to be the proper anguish factor. Today, at 50 meters continuing seemed like a perfectly ridiculous idea. Thoughts? Warnings?

Muppet
July 25th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Here's a quick question, which may have a mathematical answer: what is the relationship between the 100 fly LCM and SCY? Have swum the latter, not the former. Yes, I recognize that the distance is approximately 10 percent greater. But 1.1 does not seem likely to be the proper anguish factor. Today, at 50 meters, continuing seemed like a perfectly ridiculous idea. Thoughts? Warnings?

Absolutely right.

In SCY, I take between 6 and 8 fly cycles per length depending on which length I'm on. In LCM, I take 17-18 strokes per length. Lets go with 28 strokes for SCY and 36 for LCM. Ratio of 36:28 = 1.2857.

So in my book, it's like swimming a 129y fly. But with only one wall to rest at.

Spock
July 25th, 2009, 04:05 AM
They are not even remotely the same event.

The Fortress
July 25th, 2009, 08:35 AM
They are not even remotely the same event.

Absolutely agree.

I attempted the 100 fly LCM last weekend. The only thing that saved me was breathing much more than usual. In SCY, I breathe every other stroke. In LCM, I used a recommended 2 up, 1 down breathing pattern for the first time. This made the event seem marginally easier, though the last 10 yards were still unbearable.

That Guy
July 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Absolutely agree.

I attempted the 100 fly LCM last weekend. The only thing that saved me was breathing much more than usual. In SCY, I breathe every other stroke. In LCM, I used a recommended 2 up, 1 down breathing pattern for the first time. This made the event seem marginally easier, though the last 10 yards were still unbearable.

If you don't slow down when you breathe, you could get away with that breathing pattern. I slow down when I breathe, so in long course, breathing every other stroke without variation is more important than it is in short course. When the wall is still 30 meters away, I can't afford to slow down. Might as well tattoo PIANO LANDING ZONE on my back :afraid:

Red60
July 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Good, glad to know that my dread is well-founded! Fort, your breathing change concerns me: In recent months I've begun to get faster and more confident by going to an every-other-stroke breathing pattern. Used to swim fly like sprint free, by breathing when "necessary," which as you might suspect, led to an oxygen-debt piano falling, even in the last quarter of a 50. When I breathe two strokes consecutively I seem to lose focus on "foward, not up" and turn into a giant board flat against water, with predictable loss of momentum.