PDA

View Full Version : Have you had injuries from swimming?

ddl
July 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM
We all know improper positions in swimming can cause injury, how about looking at the real numbers? I'm not talking about a black eye from being kicked by someone, or a bleeding hand from the end of a lane divider with metal wires, but simply from your own incorrect swimming position/movement, or being stressed-out. I've had minor neck and knee injuries, both during freestyle. The neck (obviously from incorrect breathing) has mostly recovered, the knee doesn't seem so as it was actually an old injury reawakened.

Am wondering whether the majority are injury-free or not :rolleyes:

marksman
July 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I've had shoulder pain or wrist pain from time to time. One time I dove in and tore a ligament in my shoulder, it took a few years for it to feel normal again.

But my most serious injury came from a bike fall and it has been a very expensive and painful and long recovery. I really wish I'd decided to just swim that day. A little bit of shoulder pain is nothing compared to the injuries people can end up with in other sports.

swimshark
July 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM
In 2003 I did the One Hour Postal Swim and, due to incorrect form, came out with bursitis and tendonitis in my right shoulder. I tried to change my stroke to help it get better but after 15 months I finally had to do to the doc and eventually physical therapy. It acts up every once in a while but is generally okay.

Marksman, what happened with your bike crash?

swimmers mom
July 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
My daughter came at wall so hard during a 50 free that she hyper-extended her arm on her touch and snapped her UCL!

RuffWater
July 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Shoulders. Just plain worn out.