PDA

View Full Version : Blue Seventy is a joke

Hoosier
July 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I recently swam my first open water of the year. One attended by many. For the first time I saw a Blue Seventy suit (I know I need to get out more) but to call them a swim suit is crazy! they are a wet suit. My daughter spent the day swimming in Chicago. Talking with a world champion she said that she normally holds 1:05 one hundreds for long sets...one time she swam with a Blue Seventy, easily holding 1:00's. I believe her. Say what you want, but to compare anyones records in the blue seventy to the old Mark Spitz suit, is like saying Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth were the same....lol....thank god I am not worried about competition, (I just try to finish) because I would not want to wear a B70, and that would be a HUGH disadvantage.

Bobinator
July 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM
So how was the ow swim? I almost did that one.
Did it storm up there? It did down here(Indy) till around noon.
Oh, Blue Seventy makes great wetsuits and speed skins. The person you saw probably had a wetsuit on. The speed skin is nothing like swimming in a wetsuit (I've done both). No comparison.

geochuck
July 25th, 2009, 09:12 PM
How much difference in a blue 70 wet suit and a blue 70 swim suit.

Betsy
July 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
There is a huge difference in a Nero and a wet suit. In June I helped at a triathlon and zipped up a few suits for friends (and strangers). The wetsuit is much, much, much thicker. There is no way you could confuse the two.

Bobinator
July 25th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Long sleeves, high neck, and 1/4 inch or so of foam-like thickness in the material of a wetsuit. The speed skin is a very thin material and has lycra-like panels throughout stretch points in the suit. BS wetsuits are the top seller for Tri's at the store.

geochuck
July 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I know the difference, I just wondered which suit Hoosier was talking about. It sounded like he was talking about a wet suit???

geochuck
July 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
You know there are some very fast suits around. I kind of like this one. http://www.rocketsciencesports.com/index.html

Bobinator
July 25th, 2009, 11:22 PM
That's a cool suit! Kinda space age!

lefty
July 25th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Barry Bonds and Babe Ruth were the same....lol....

In fairness to the Babe, while he did benefit from it, it is not his fault that he played in an era where black players were not allowed to compete thereby bloating his statistics....

Hoosier
July 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
In fairness to the Babe, while he did benefit from it, it is not his fault that he played in an era where black players were not allowed to compete thereby bloating his statistics....

I was talking steroids not race.... I may stand corrected as I did not know that something listed as Blue Seventy could actually be a wetsuit OR a swimsuit, thought they only the swimsuits were labeled the same.....so maybe what I saw were a bunch of wetsuits (a lot of Tris at meet so this could be the deal)....I will check furthur...As for the race...very pleasent, great atmosphere, EXCELLENT BREAKFAST, first half mile into bright sun, but then clouds arrived and even that straightned out...would highly recommend as for a great cause...Elkhart County Humane Society.

Amber23
July 26th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I swam this race also. The weather was perfect and the water was great. We decided not to stay after the race though since we had such a long drive to get back. It was nice to meet you (although I only got to say hi before we had to start), Hoosier!

Bobinator
July 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I regret not doing it. There really aren't many ow races in Indiana and I feel like I should support all of them that are here....I just didn't get me act together, and the weather was a bit shakey down here.
Are they planning on having the race next year?:agree:

Amber23
July 27th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I bet they will. The shelter volunteers were suprised at how many people came out and they were pretty excited about it.

Bobinator
July 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
That's good! i'll look forward to it next year!

Cmonster
July 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
When I swim tri I wear a wetsuit. When I swim OW I swim in a normal square leg training suit. Last weekend I swam a OW 2 mile and was going to wear a legal speedsuit. When I tried it in the pool I was almost 3-4 seconds per 100 faster. For some reason I didn't feel right showing up to an OW race with a speedsuit. I felt that it was more "pure" i guess to race without one. I know how most masters swimmers feel about these "fair/unfair" advantages. Well I went out and hammered a good race. In the end I came in second. I lost to someone wearing a full speedsuit. So I say this, if it's legal, wear it! good ol' fashioned hard yardage and preparation is a thing of the past.