PDA

View Full Version : No finals for Piersol...

lefty
July 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM
results aren't up yet but I don't think he made it...

knelson
July 27th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Huge error by him. To me it looked like he was in a great position, but then got a little too confident and glided in to the finish.

mctrusty
July 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM
results aren't up yet but I don't think he made it...

Spoiler alert :)...

Nope.

However, Grevers did.

swim53
July 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Oh wow

Maui Mike
July 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
The world has caught up. The days of cruising into the finals, at least on men's 100 meter races on the world stage, is over.

Muppet
July 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Huge error by him. To me it looked like he was in a great position, but then got a little too confident and glided in to the finish.

On the way back, it looked like he backed off. Just goes to show that, especially for the 50s and 100s, you really can't hold much, if anything, back.

pwolf66
July 27th, 2009, 01:17 PM
WOW, that is an absolute stunner.

Can't wait to watch it and see what happened.

Looks like the rest of the world's backstrokers are pretty dang fast so you gotta get up and go if you want to make finals.

who knew???

tjrpatt
July 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
What was he thinking? I know that he is Aaron Peirsol but he just needs to go out and swim fast to get into finals. Stop the judging and get to the wall first.

lefty
July 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
The world has caught up. The days of cruising into the finals, at least on men's 100 meter races on the world stage, is over.

I agree MM. I think we'll have a little shocker in the 100 free, too. 8 guys will defintely go under 48...

rtodd
July 27th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I gotta ask,

Was he wearing a tech suit and were the others wearing them?

2fish&1whale
July 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I think he was only wearing a leg skin vs full suit.

tjrpatt
July 27th, 2009, 07:31 PM
He was wearing the Arena leggings.

quicksilver
July 27th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I think he was only wearing a leg skin vs full suit.

He never wears full suits. Says he doesn't like the feel.

Lump
July 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I have no idea why they use this format anyway. Why not just prelims & finals, that's it. This semi-final stuff just makes no sense to me. Call me old school, but swimming an event 3 times is ridiculous.

That being said, I was always coach to swim for time in prelims, swim for the place at night.

rtodd
July 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Doesn't like the feel?..........better get used to it for the 200 back, and quick.

Chris Stevenson
July 27th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Doesn't like the feel?..........better get used to it for the 200 back, and quick.

Maybe. But the leggings were fast enough for him to set two backstroke WRs at trials. I don't think it was the suit, he just went too slow.

That Guy
July 27th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Maybe. But the leggings were fast enough for him to set two backstroke WRs at trials. I don't think it was the suit, he just went too slow.

Peirsol said as much in his interview with Andrea Kramer. He thought he was going faster than he really was.

Frank Thompson
July 27th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I have no idea why they use this format anyway. Why not just prelims & finals, that's it. This semi-final stuff just makes no sense to me. Call me old school, but swimming an event 3 times is ridiculous.

That being said, I was always coach to swim for time in prelims, swim for the place at night.

The IOC, FINA, TV Networks and the Swimming fans like the current format. I remember reading somewhere that no one was paying attention to the consolation heats at either the Olympics or World Championships and FINA and maybe the IOC wanted to change the format and add excitment to the swimming meet for both the fans and the swimmers. TV and money could be attracted more and everyone would win out in the end.

It would bring kind of a March madness, NFL, NBA playoff type of enviroment to swimming. However, it wouldn't have the sudden death upset type of feel that those events have. It would give real good swimmers a second chance if they swam bad and not made top 8 and then have another go to make the finals. Also it makes a swimmer swim good two times and the swimmer has to use strategy so he does not tire out and not make it. Also you cannot sandbag or you risk losing out and not making it.

It makes every session mean something and the crowd at the arena and home on TV will pay attention because all events continue to a final and swimmers are eliminated with every heat, semi, and final. The 400 events and longer are not done this way because of the time of the event, the interest of the TV with distance events, and the physical drain of the swimmers swimming the event. The old way with consolation finals was not interesting for both TV, swimmer fan interest, and the swimmers themselves because a lot would scratch if they did not make the finals.

I don't think they are going to change this format and they want this event to be similar to Track & Field because they use this format a lot except for some events like swimming does. Of course its bad for swimmers like Phelps, Hoff, Lochte, and Coughlin because they swim multiple events but for the overall good of the sport FINA and the IOC thinks this is best and NBC does also because they can show more on TV which means more advertising revenue and more ticket revenue at the gate because there will be more interest.

knelson
July 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Of course its bad for swimmers like Phelps, Hoff, Lochte, and Coughlin because they swim multiple events

There are cases where people swimming multiple events could benefit, though. Without semis the finals sessions would be very quick. With semis some swimmers might get to swim two events which otherwise would have been back-to-back. As a fan I like this format, too. More events to see per session.

Lump
July 28th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Like I said, I'm old school. I still don't like it. Swim and you're in, snooze you lose.

2fish&1whale
July 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM
There are cases where people swimming multiple events could benefit, though. Without semis the finals sessions would be very quick. With semis some swimmers might get to swim two events which otherwise would have been back-to-back. As a fan I like this format, too. More events to see per session.
But it can also hurt, as it did Coventry yesterday-she made it through but to have only 20 minutes between events is crazy!