PDA

View Full Version : This really isn't fun anymore

Charge
July 28th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Remember when breaking a world record was special and meant something?

swimcat
July 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
ahh the good ole days...
seriously now, i saw the Masters National result in my age group and was told by atendees, everybody wore blue 70 or lzr suits. the 400 Im time, was incredible. i guess i should just retire now.

CreamPuff
July 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Ha! I wish. I have no idea what it's like.

ande
July 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I can assure that breaking any masters world record is something special to celebrate, tech suit or no tech suit, individual or relay. Especially if it is your first.

I also wonder if FINA will allow tech suits for Masters. Whether masters swimmers in the future wear Full body rubber suits or jammers or kneeskins, I know there are faster swimmers coming along and as they age if they so choose, they will eclipse masters records.

But I am concerned that world records done swimmers in full body rubber suits will be hard for swimmers to beat wearing fabric jammers & kneeskins.
I think the fair thing to do is to put full body suit records in the books then start tracking new records done by swimmers wearing qualifying suits.

Dolphin 2
July 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Remember when breaking a world record was special and meant something?

I remember when MarK Spitz set his WR for swimming wearing simple "off the shelf" briefs that you could buy at Sears, that was viewed as a real accomplishment.

However, setting a new WR in swimming by using some kind of mechanical aid -IE- a $300 "Tech Suit" seems pretty Hooooo-Huuuuum (except being food for media hype). :confused:

Dolphin 2

JimRude
July 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I remember when MarK Spitz set his WR for swimming wearing simple "off the shelf" briefs that you could buy at Sears, that was viewed as a real accomplishment.

However, setting a new WR in swimming by using some kind of mechanical aid -IE- a $300 "Tech Suit" seems pretty Hooooo-Huuuuum (except being food for media hype). :confused:

Dolphin 2

I look forward to news of your setting a WR. And I am sure that the forumites will pitch in together to buy you the tech suit of your choice for this ho-hum WR you'll set.

aquageek
July 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Dolphin 2

That's pretty insulting to those that achieve this mark. But, you don't swim so you wouldn't know.

Charge
July 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Hey, I'd be thrilled as a competitor to break a record. But s a fan/tv viewer and follower of swimming for 30+ years this just feels cheap at this point.

Lump
July 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
It sad in that its not 100% the athlete. The suit gives them that little extra push they need. I'd compare it to a corked bat in baseball.

knelson
July 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I'd compare it to a corked bat in baseball.

It would only be comparable if MLB decided corked bats were legal.

tjrpatt
July 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Maybe colleges will be able to save their programs without having to spend 10K for one year on this tech suits. The high cost is based on rips, premium suit cost and overnight shipping. Also, maybe help some male college swimmers get a couple bucks that they wouldn't have gotten based on the awful Title 9 garbarge. But, that is a whole another thread.

Charge
July 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
See today's 800. Just silly.

bamueller
July 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I just read this article, "The Science Behind the Swimsuit War," http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/07/29/2013052.aspx.

The results at the Beijing Olympics were jaw-dropping (http://www.speedo80.com/lzr-racer/results/2008/8/18/phelps-secures-his-place-in-the-history-books/): Twenty-three world records were broken by the swimmers who wore LZR Racer suits, compared with only two that were broken by the swimmers who didn't. Speedo said 89 percent of all the medals in swimming (including 94 percent of the gold medals) were won by LZR Racer swimmers.

First came the complaints. Then came the escalation: Italian swimsuit makers Arena and Jaked both came out with suits that one-upped the Speedo by using pure polyurethane. "It was relatively obvious to some companies to say, 'Well, let's just make the whole suit out of this stuff,'" Sharp said.

At the Olympics, Phelps was happy because his suit was winning. Now, he's unhappy because his suit isn't the fastest anymore. Are you saying it is "unfair" now because your suit isn't the fastest suit, and your competition now has an unfair advantage?

Lui
July 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Actually they already had tech suits seventy years ago. I find the resemblance of this Bugs Bunny cartoon to todays swimming situation uncanny:
YouTube - Tortoise Wins by a Hare :D

orca1946
July 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
LOL !!! I remember that one !!

aloha
July 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
i told all of you this weeks/months ago.....ITS OVER! and you all keep acting shocked by the recent events. seriously folks. the sport has been ruined, you cant go back. now the dork Phelps is all upset...poor baby, what he didnt see this coming? and Speedo must feel so dumb at this point with all their claims of using "NASA" technology. what a bunch of BS....i guess that "NASA" genius wasnt all that great afterall.....seems arena and jaked made quick work of taking them down. swimming is no better than MLB, NFL, NBA, NASCAR..........its all about money and everyone "getting theirs"

for the record im glad Phelps got beat down by that German, that poor guy had to endure wearing an Adidas suit in Bejing....all the while Phelps thought he was mr badass with his "NASA" suit.

its all a silly joke now.

swimlong
July 31st, 2009, 12:50 AM
maybe swimming should take a note from the women's beach volleyball...set a maximum number of square cm's a suit can be...make it on the skimpy side to enhance viewership...