PDA

View Full Version : Question about Nationals

elise526
July 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I am the designated coach of a very small team. Several of my swimmers asked me this year about what they had to do to qualify for Nationals. I explained to them they could swim up to three things without qualifying and if they wanted to swim more than 3 events, they would need to qualify in the event. I also explained that they could use a qualifying time within the last two years. The swimmers felt that they wanted to qualify in at least 1 or 2 events to make the trip worthwhile. In other words, they weren't satisfied to swim just 3 events.

It was brought to my attention that there is at least one individual entered in FIVE events that has not done any long course meets in over 5 years. Now my swimmers are under the impression that you don't have to qualify and that I did not explain the rule correctly. I think I did. Did I? Is the rule not in effect or is it not being enforced? I don't want to tell my swimmers they have to qualify in events to be able to swim more than 3 if this is not the case. Are people being allowed to swim 5 events without even qualifying for one event?

Can anybody clarify this for me?

ALM
July 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Please see my post in the Nationals forum, here:

Qualifying for Nationals - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums

It should answer your questions.

elise526
July 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Please see my post in the Nationals forum, here:

Qualifying for Nationals - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=13780)

It should answer your questions.

Thanks, Jayhawk. I'll refer them to this post. I'm relieved to know that I did explain it to them correctly.