PDA

View Full Version : Hey, what happened to drugs???

Glenn
July 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Two years ago had someone made a 4 second drop in the 200 free, the immediate reaction would have been.....he/she is doping. Now the reaction is....it's the suit. So I guess that means that this would be a good time to use drugs because everyone thinks it's the suit!:D

tjrpatt
July 29th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Drugs are so 1984!!!!! Someone(who competed in the 2004 Trials) told me that good majority of the swimmers at the top level were on something during the 1984 trials. Very sad. 2004 was the year of cheating breakstroke butterfly kick that became legal. I wonder what the new thing will be by 2012 when the suits are just textile.

ensignada
July 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm betting on a shower gel additive that leaves a silicon coating over all surfaces and makes skin less water permeable.:D

Point is, there will always be something that people will try to make them go faster...if there ain't a rule about it yet, anything goes.

meldyck
July 29th, 2009, 11:45 AM
If/when USMS bans the body suits, I'm going to start taking drugs. At 68, I should have no trouble getting a doctor's prescription for testosterone replacement therapy. Shouldn't even have to go to the black market. Hey, no tests, no foul!!

Peter Cruise
July 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Glenn, I so agree. This whole fixation on suits masks the very real possibility that there is continuing drug abuse at the highest levels of swimming (and no, I'm not referring to the apparent use of mind-distorting drugs within FINA politicians). Across most sports, the drug cheaters are usually ahead of testing technology, usually, if they are caught, it is through other evidence. What a wonderful time for a world class cheat to 'dial up' his drugs and use the suit as a masking agent. Yes, I know they are still being tested, but they are likely ahead of the latest testing protocols.
And no, I am not calling out any swimmer in particular, nor implying that all newly minted records are tainted.

cowsvils
July 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM
In looking over suit drops/etc that thought has actually crossed my mind a couple of times. Biedermann dropped 6+ seconds from Melbourne 2007 to a couple days ago. At Melbourne both him and Phelps were wearing the same suit, albeit in different lengths (Phelps had a full body FSII and Biedermann looks like he was wearing a jammer version). In his from FSII to LZR (along with another year of training) Phelps dropped 1.5 second. Make it 2 from the core compression factor and all of that jazz. Give another second from the X-Glide over the 200. That's still 3+ seconds to account for a 21 year old who has been competing at a high level for a long time. Color me skeptical.

orca1946
July 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
How come the meds I now take ,5 of them, do not make me faster ?? All have side effects - they make me more hungry & sleepy ???

mikeh
July 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Glenn, I so agree. This whole fixation on suits masks the very real possibility that there is continuing drug abuse at the highest levels of swimming (and no, I'm not referring to the apparent use of mind-distorting drugs within FINA politicians). Across most sports, the drug cheaters are usually ahead of testing technology, usually, if they are caught, it is through other evidence. What a wonderful time for a world class cheat to 'dial up' his drugs and use the suit as a masking agent. Yes, I know they are still being tested, but they are likely ahead of the latest testing protocols.
And no, I am not calling out any swimmer in particular, nor implying that all newly minted records are tainted.

I agree. The suits are important but I strongly suspect swimming has finally joined the Brave New World of steoids and growth hormone. These times simply don't make sense. People are coming out of nowhere, dropping huge amounts of time. The suits are doubtless part of it, but it requires more faith, in my view, to believe drugs play no role than to believe they do.