PDA

View Full Version : No LZR / No Jaked / No X-Glide .. any WR since 2007 ?

ehoch
July 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM
If you discount the Jaked and X-Glide records, you also have to discount the LZR records, even Phelps swimming only in the legskin. So who is actually swimming "faster" than any 2007 records ?

The British Backstroker Spofforth swam more than a second faster than Coughlin wearing an LZR - she is close.

Steffen did a WR last year in the addidas suit + is more than a second faster than her own 2006 time - but it would be close.

Phelps maybe in the 200 Free - he dropped less than a second last year, but the LZR has dropped a lot more time for most swimmers - so I would say no.

For sure a very very short list ....

selkie
July 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Pellegrini and the Swedish 100 flyer might have. Pellegrini's been the next big thing for a while now, and 100 flyer just might be a freak Mary T-like talent

Chris Stevenson
July 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I have a very hard time believing there would only have been a handful of WRs in a 2-year span that included the Olympics.

A "very very short list." Is there any reason to believe there would have been fewer than usual? Maybe the suits have made everyone poorer swimmers...:)

bekalc
July 30th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Ironically, Biedermann was in an Arena Revolution when he broke the 200m free short course record in 2008

ehoch
July 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have a very hard time believing there would only have been a handful of WRs in a 2-year span that included the Olympics.

Agreed - but I think we are also so used to records now. In 2004, there was only one indiv. women's record in the entire year ...

I guess we may find out next year, depending on what they agree on in terms of suits.

Close or in 2007 range ... Peirsol, Pelligrini I guess, Phelps, Lochte in the IMs, maybe the Men's 50 Free ?

Not the 100 Fly girl though - no way

Not sure what they will be able to do in terms of records though -- you can't really draw the line at 2007/08 - allow Thorpe's full body suitrecord but then go back to just wearing jammers ? On the other hand, I don't like to watch track and field, where some of the women's records may never be broken.

orca1946
July 30th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Phelps did last night in legs only !

selkie
July 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Jones in at least one of the breasts if she keeps her head together in that alternate timeline

knelson
July 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
How about women's 200 IM? Kukors 2:06.1 is 3.6 seconds under the 2007 record (Yanyan Wu 2:09.72).

ehoch
July 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Phelps did last night in legs only !

Can't have it both ways -- 1:51.5 in a Legskin LZR is most likely slower than his 2007 1:52.0 ... but I forgot, the LZR only helps lesser swimmers :angel:

Frank Thompson
July 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Agreed - but I think we are also so used to records now. In 2004, there was only one indiv. women's record in the entire year ...

Are you sure this statement is right? I remember Libby Lenton/Trickett breaking the WR in the 100 meter Free and then Jodie Henry breaking that WR at the Olympics. I also remember that Amanda Beard broke the WR in the 200 meter breast at the Olympic Trials in Long Beach. What I remember about that WR is that Leisel Jones broke the tied WR that Amanda Beard held about 3 days before she got it back. So that is 4 WR that I can remember off the top of my head in 2004.

KeithM
July 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM
For sure a very very short list .... You want to see a short list? Come London if you compile a list of post tech world records that will be a short list. We may not have a list at all!

Charge
July 30th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Agreed, it will take YEARS, maybe even decades (like Mary T's or Janet Evans') for some of these to get broken.

The Men's 200/400/(1500?) Frees come to mind. I think the men's records set in leggings only might go down by 2012.

ehoch
July 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah - I messed up on the 100 Free records -

USA swimming has a nice database for record progression -

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=87&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en

Even so - there have been Olympic cycles without a lot of records. If you account for some of the rule changes and the evolution of the SDKs --- but then again - there will be new things to improve upon.

I go back to the sub 21 though - I just can't see anybody even close to that for decades in a regular suit.

KeithM
July 30th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Case in point Atlanta saw very few records. Both Breast records to Heyns, the 100 to Deburghraeve, and a couple relays. That was it.

The mid 90s didn't see many records go.

Chris Stevenson
July 31st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Case in point Atlanta saw very few records. Both Breast records to Heyns, the 100 to Deburghraeve, and a couple relays. That was it.

The mid 90s didn't see many records go.

I remember seeing some statistical analysis to the effect that Atlanta was improbably low, just as Beijing was abnormally high. I think that neither is a good guideline as to the number of records we could have expected, sans LZR.