PDA

View Full Version : A case for strength training

qbrain
July 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I have been reading up on training and considering what I want to do for next season. During this, I came across this (http://www.sportsci.org/news/traingain/resistance.html) article reviewing several peer reviewed studies on the benefits of strength training endurance athletes including swimmers. Two interesting things were pointed out in this review.

Strength training for highly trained swimmers showed no benefit in swimming performance tests when compared to swimmers without the strength training.
Strength training for moderately trained (or less) athletes showed noticeable benefit.

I think most masters swimmers would consider themselves in category 2. If you consider yourself in category 1, that while there was no benefit shown for strength training, there was also no detriment shown. Based on this, if you have the time and the desire, there is no reason not to add strength training to your current program.

If anyone has read more current research (the referenced studies are 15-20 years old), or you have personal experience to share, please do.

orca1946
July 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM
3 days of swimming & 3 days at the gym.

Lui
July 30th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I prefer doing strength training at home.

Great tools:
-.bodyweight
- resistance bands
- dumbbells
- ab wheel
- pull-up bar

Great exercises are all variations of pull-ups, chin-ups, pushups, dips, core exercises, squats, ab wheel roll-outs, resistance band exercises, dumbbell exercises etc. You can get a full body work out with body weight and cheap equipment.

Lump
July 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I'm at least 3 days in the pool, 2 in the gym (may add another day of either each) as well as some other cross training stuff. While it may/may not help in the pool, it DOES help with overall fitness and strength.....after all, we don't live in the pool. I think most of us have kids, lawns to mow, groceries to carry, etc, etc and the gym helps as part of an overall program.

Plus, to be honest, I don't want to every be a scrawny little 165-170 swimmer again anyway.

Kevin in MD
July 30th, 2009, 05:46 PM
You are pretty current, the only other thing is a study showing that maximum strength training helped sprint performance as much as resisted and assisted sprinting in well trained swimmers.

Unless you're really cranking out the yards, like 40k a week or so then probably safe to say that strength training can improve your performance. But the better you are and the more fit you are the less likely it is help.

This excludes anything you might do to keep your shoulders in line. If you have injuries then doing your rehab is important.

I have been reading up on training and considering what I want to do for next season. During this, I came across this (http://www.sportsci.org/news/traingain/resistance.html)

tdrop
July 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM
strength and conditioning benefits everyone.

dryland is becoming a bigger and bigger part of elite level conditioning in swimming. Furthermore, I would bet it would be hard to find a professional athlete who does not engage in strength training. Swimming is no different. Even endurance athletes benefit from strength training.

Max strength, power, balance, power endurance, strength endurance, etc. for fully functional athletic development.

If you are currently only swimming and want to make a jump in performance then do some strength training.