PDA

View Full Version : Crying on the Medal Stand

Muppet
July 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Cesar Cielo made it about halfway through the Brazilian National Anthem today before he started crying. If that were you up there receiving a GOLD Medal and having your flag raised and your country's national anthem played, do you think you would also get emotional?

FridayGrrl
July 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Most certainly.:cry:

aquageek
July 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
The worst thing about sports, without exception, is man crying. If I see one more man a-weepin', I'm gonna hurl.

meldyck
July 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
The worst thing about sports, without exception, is man crying. If I see one more man a-weepin', I'm gonna hurl.

Conversely, the BEST thing about sports, particularly professional sports, is seeing a man pound his chest and parade/prance around the sports arena for simply doing his job (for which he is probably paid in excess of $10M). That brings me back time and again. I'll cry if anyone challenges me on this one.

fanstone
July 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Here is some background on why he may have cried in Beijing, today was just a repeat performance. He trained hard over in Alabama, no dating, no socializing, no nothing. The Brazilian press talked more about another guy (thiago pereira?) because they were ignorant of Cielo. I told my friends way back that Cielo was the guy for Beijing. I knew about his American college record and heard a lot about him on these forums. The Brazilian swimming committee didn't want to help him with money because he went to the U.S., they sorta ignored him. He comes from a tiny town about 100 miles from São Paulo. Interestingly near his hometown there is a town called Americana, founded in 1865-68 by Southern Americans (mostly from alabamer) discontent with the result of the War of Northern Aggression (AKA the Civil War). Well, also he couldn't get tickets for his parents to see him in the pool in Beijing. All this plus years of training and being away from home and so on might have contributed to his crying a lot in Beijing. In Rome you got all that plus the record, plus he is the fastest in what is the most valued distance, 100 meters....he'll be on the news for a couple of days and then we'll go back to soccer and formula one and other dumb stuff....billy fanstone

thewookiee
July 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM

If you were half a man, then you would understand why he cried.

tjrpatt
July 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I said this on another thread that this is the first time he got weepy. Do an image search on google and he is getting emotional right after a swim, with a buzz cut, etc. Overall, you sometimes can't control when you get emotional. I wouldn't get emotional after winning the gold I wouldn't think but I would at least have perma-smile.

2fish&1whale
July 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Crying would be my lesser worry-I might just pee myself with sheer excitement. What they gonna do-make me get off the podium?

jim clemmons
July 30th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Why's that?? 'Cause the other half's a woman??

Syd
July 31st, 2009, 12:36 AM
I said this on another thread that this is the first time he got weepy.

I'm sure you meant to say that this was not the first time. He got very emotional after winning the 50 in Beijing.

knelson
July 31st, 2009, 12:38 AM
When I first saw a video of Cielo celebrating a victory (sitting on the lane rope, flexing, etc.) I thought he came across as cocky, but I think he's just an emotional guy. I like him.

Novaova
July 31st, 2009, 05:19 AM
Oh, heaven forbid a man from showing genuine emotion or anything. . .

Seriously, crying threatens your masculinity? Seriously? If so, then your masculinity is in more danger than you had imagined, and is actually a house of cards ready to tumble down with the mildest puff of air.

I'm more proud of someone who can show their true feelings than someone who keeps them bottled up inside for fear of seeming weak. That fear is the true weakness.

Also, I'm not even touching the post immediately preceding this one, other than to suggest that if it is serious, then the author needs to jump in front of a bus.

Rykno
July 31st, 2009, 08:02 AM
I would have said no way, but in 1991/92 I swam at a meet with Nelson Diebel.

I seem to remember him feeling he was swimming for himself and not his country, but he got emotional at the awards ceremony if memory serves right.

FindingMyInnerFish
Seems as if crying in public undoes a guy's political career--witness Edmund Muskie (for those of us old enough to remember).

I don't see why it should. It's just a normal way of showing emotion but boys continually get the "Boys don't cry" speech as youngsters (maybe less so now?).

I think that many people are frightened of any strongly felt emotions, their own or others'.

As for whether I'd cry on a medal stand at the Olympics or World Champs... since my being on the medal stand at either of these venues would be as likely as my winning the Powerball jackpot on the same day I set the world record for the 100 meters and won the Nobel Prize while a blizzard raged in Honolulu, I doubt I'd cry. More likely I'd have fainted from the shock of it all.

But if I were conscious, I might tear up some. :)

aquageek
There's only one thing worse than the man sports crying epidemic that is sweeping the planet like the swine flu - men who propose marriage on the jumbotron at sport's events.

Boo flippin' hoo for all you man crying advocates out there, get a grip.

thewookiee
July 31st, 2009, 09:03 AM
There's only one thing worse than the man sports crying epidemic that is sweeping the planet like the swine flu - men who propose marriage on the jumbotron at sport's events.

Boo flippin' hoo for all you man crying advocates out there, get a grip.

I love it when the guy's gf says no too. It is absolutely hysterical.

tjrpatt
July 31st, 2009, 09:05 AM
I'm sure you meant to say that this was not the first time. He got very emotional after winning the 50 in Beijing.

true.

aquageek
July 31st, 2009, 09:20 AM
I love it when the guy's gf says no too. It is absolutely hysterical.

Ironically, when he does get shot down it makes the whole rotten episode completely worthwhile for me.

thewookiee
July 31st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Ironically, when he does get shot down it makes the whole rotten episode completely worthwhile for me.

Word G!

gigi
July 31st, 2009, 09:35 AM
This whole "hide yr emtions" thing is pretty tired.
And it's even a bigger thing among younger guys. I teach in an urban high school and the yearbook pictures of the guys all look like mug-shots. No one wants to be seen smiling and happy. At the senior sports banquet our school gives out an award to a senior that EVERY kid, no matter how tough, wants. Yet when the kid gets that award, even though he worked like a dog to get it and he is ready to explode with pride, he walks to the stage scowling like he's an his way to sentencing.
It's just too sad for words.

swimshark
July 31st, 2009, 10:04 AM
Oh, heaven forbid a man from showing genuine emotion or anything. . .

Seriously, crying threatens your masculinity? Seriously? If so, then your masculinity is in more danger than you had imagined, and is actually a house of cards ready to tumble down with the mildest puff of air.

I'm more proud of someone who can show their true feelings than someone who keeps them bottled up inside for fear of seeming weak. That fear is the true weakness.

Also, I'm not even touching the post immediately preceding this one, other than to suggest that if it is serious, then the author needs to jump in front of a bus.

I'll second that!

aquageek
July 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM
It's just too sad for words.

Why is it sad? Why do I have to blubber like a toddler to show my emotions? There are many ways to show emotion and if I choose not to whimper it doesn't make me any less emotional. If you want to let loose the water works every time you finish a fast 25, go for it, but don't tell others they have to cry to show emotion.

I did almost break down and whimper like wookie upon finding an intact still in the woods behind his single wide when Ali carried the torch for the 96 games.

knelson
July 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM
Don't let Geek fool you. He wouldn't need to win an Olympic or World Championship to blubber like a baby. He'd do it if he ever beat Fortress or CreamPuff.

aquageek
July 31st, 2009, 10:18 AM
Don't let Geek fool you. He wouldn't need to win an Olympic or World Championship to blubber like a baby. He'd do it if he ever beat Fortress or CreamPuff.

That will guarantee I never cry since that is unlikely to ever happen.

The Fortress
July 31st, 2009, 10:22 AM
That will guarantee I never cry since that is unlikely to ever happen.

Damn straight.

Everyone gets emotional at times -- inwardly or outwardly. But, as a chick, I'm saying constant waterworks and gooey sentimentality do not turn me on.

Muppet
July 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM

I think we need a Geek vs. Fort and Puffy 100 free challenge...
would be a close one!!!

gigi
July 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Why is it sad? Why do I have to blubber like a toddler to show my emotions? There are many ways to show emotion and if I choose not to whimper it doesn't make me any less emotional. If you want to let loose the water works every time you finish a fast 25, go for it, but don't tell others they have to cry to show emotion.

I did almost break down and whimper like wookie upon finding an intact still in the woods behind his single wide when Ali carried the torch for the 96 games.

UMMMM - read my post again - I was talking about SMILING, not CRYING!
I find it sad that these kids have to maintain this grim looking expression so that they're not seen smiling at what are very possibly the happiest moments of their young lives (graduation, receiving awards, winning championships, prom pictures,you name it).

I'm not telling anyone to cry - sheesh

aquageek
July 31st, 2009, 10:57 AM
would be a close one!!!

She Puff's recent 100 fly was awe inspiring and would wipe out even my best double bagged Jaked assisted 100 free.

tjrpatt
July 31st, 2009, 11:12 AM
She Puff's recent 100 fly was awe inspiring and would wipe out even my best double bagged Jaked assisted 100 free.

I felt really proud of the 2:28 that I did in my 200 LCM fly until I saw the Puffster's 2:26 at some Masters meet in June. :bow:Plus, she was probably completely unrested where I just took it easy the week before my 2:28 since it was the week after Colonies Zones.

thewookiee
July 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM
would be a close one!!!

To the 25 mark and 50 mark...I would bet on Fort. From the 75 to the 100 mark, I would bet on Puff. To be the last one off the blocks, begging not to get his butt beat, crying in his goggles as they hit the water, being utterly slapped around like the piece of meat in the first rocky movie, I bet on the wetdiaper.

aquageek
July 31st, 2009, 11:18 AM
I felt really proud of the 2:28 that I did in my 200 LCM fly until I saw the Puffster's 2:26 at some Masters meet in June. :bow:Plus, she was probably completely unrested where I just took it easy the week before my 2:28 since it was the week after Colonies Zones.

Rumor has it that a 1:03.9 was recently obtained in the 100 fly (I might have the time slightly off but pretty sure it was 1:03.xx).

Daaaave
July 31st, 2009, 03:12 PM
I'd probably cry if I won the gold, but it would not be a blubbery cry; instead, my face would remain expressionless as a single glory-tear runs down my cheek. The Getty image would show the Flag reflecting in said tear.

Two man-cries of which I am unashamed:

1. Hoosiers
2. Each year during the Hawaii Iron Man TV coverage: Dick and Rick Hoyt. Those guys get me every time.

3strokes
July 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Why is it sad? Why do I have to blubber like a toddler to show my emotions?

I don't think of it as "showing your emotions" but allowing your emotions (what you're feeling) to show.

swimshark
August 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
2. Each year during the Hawaii Iron Man TV coverage: Dick and Rick Hoyt. Those guys get me every time.

They get me every year, too.

tjrpatt
August 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Rumor has it that a 1:03.9 was recently obtained in the 100 fly (I might have the time slightly off but pretty sure it was 1:03.xx).

I wouldn't doubt it.

mattson
August 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM

Why's that?? 'Cause the other half's a woman??

No, because he is a Terminator, with only the skin of a man. :roids:
I know now why you cry. But it is not something I could do.

If I see one more man a-weepin', I'm gonna hurl.

I'll cry if anyone challenges me on this one.

This is great. Geek with challenge Mel, Mel will start crying :cry: , and Geek will start hurling. :eeew:
It will be a never-ending cycle.