PDA

View Full Version : Soni swims great 170m Breast

JimRude
July 31st, 2009, 01:02 PM
Right after Rowdy praises her "race management". That looked like it hurt worse than any 200 stroke I've ever seen...

That Guy
July 31st, 2009, 01:03 PM
ouchie.

Warren
July 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM
i thought she was going to barley hold them off but she was so dead she was practically doggy paddling from the flags to wall.

That Guy
July 31st, 2009, 01:15 PM
In Soni's interview with Andrea Kramer, she smiled and said "yes, it was as bad as it looked." :afraid:

BillS
July 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Shanteau just swam a great 199.5 meter breast.

tjrpatt
July 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
In Soni's interview with Andrea Kramer, she smiled and said "yes, it was as bad as it looked." :afraid:

I liked her positive attitude about the disappointing result. She is as cute as a button. I didn't know that Serbians could have frickles. The girl who got bronze in the 200 breast is really nice looking.

Glenn
July 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
I like Rebecca Soni, but she swam a terrible race. She took it out waaaaaay too fast. You just can't do that in a 200 especially a leg driven race like the breast.

swimcat
July 31st, 2009, 02:05 PM
has anybody ever heard of the winner before? i never have. has she been under the radar?

Atlantic
July 31st, 2009, 02:13 PM
has anybody ever heard of the winner before? i never have. has she been under the radar?

I haven't heard of her... I wasn't able to get back to the computer until the medals ceremony for it and was very confused.

I'm gonna have to wait for USN to post the race... I feel so bad for Soni.

Glenn
July 31st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Atlantic,

Why do you feel bad for Soni? She did not swim a good race! She went out in a 1:05 and came back in a 1:16. Eleven seconds difference in a 200 is not a smart race.

Maybe she can learn from this.

Atlantic
July 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Atlantic,

Why do you feel bad for Soni? She did not swim a good race! She went out in a 1:05 and came back in a 1:16. Eleven seconds difference in a 200 is not a smart race.

Maybe she can learn from this.

'cause she is my favorite swimmer and i enjoy seeing her do well.

Robert Strand
July 31st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Man!!! So tough on Soni!!!! Everyone us has had a race or many races like her's. From a coaching stand point I would prefer to see a swimmer with the guts to take out. She got excited and that is it. If she had gone out 1 second slower it would have probably meant 3 to 4 seconds faster on the back-end. Hey Glenn I will be watching your splits at Indy.
You have the opposite problem from Soni not going out in your longer races harder. You can and when you do the results will be fantastic. I remember years ago in Seattle (I think I was 52) 200 meter breastroke out in 1:14 back in 1:28. I made the turn at the 100 and said "I am f'd." Won the race but died like a dog.

Jeff Commings
July 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Everyone us has had a race or many races like hers.

1993 USA Swimming nationals. I'm winning the 100 breast for 99 meters then three people had a better finish, leaving me one-tenth away from gold. I'm sitting at home two weeks later while all three of them are racing at Pan Pacs.

Come to think of it, my one race in 1993 was like Rebecca's and Eric's combined. My worst swimming race relived TWICE in one day.

Glenn
July 31st, 2009, 04:46 PM
I like to see Soni do well too!! But I don't think taking it out faster than the 100 is smart racing.

Bob, point taken. In '03 at Nats in Tempe I took out the 500 along with my rival Chuck Olsen in a 1:02. I was trying to keep up with him. That was way too fast for me and I died like a dog the last 100 and Chuck beat me by 3 seconds. I swam LCM regionals back in '98 or '99 next to Ernie Leskovitz in the 400 free. I took it out hard and got way in front of Ernie (who is about 15 years my senior). He passed me at 300 meters like I was standing still. Lesson learned. Back in '82 I swam a 200 free where I went out hard..........57.48 I came back in 1:07.89. Yikes!

Lactic acid is a physiological fact. Yes, you need to push the envelope to reach the next level, but if you want to win, and that is the point at Worlds, then you must swim smart.

I think part of racing is knowing how to swim a race. Maybe I have no guts, but I hate the feeling of swimming in molasses at the end of a race and not being able to do anything about the people passing you. You can't win a 400/500 in the first 100, but you can lose it in the first 100.

That said, I think Soni will learn from this and go on to be a great and consistent breastroker.:cheerleader:

Allen Stark
July 31st, 2009, 05:01 PM
Nothing hurts like that last 25 when you have gone out too fast in a 200.Ouch is right.

Robert Strand
July 31st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Soni will probably go a 1:03 plus in the medley relay. She has got to be pissed off and disappointed. She just let herself get to excited but "Oh what a problem to have" she is a great swimmer with a gold and silver. I think she can live with that. If she had gone out with the pack probably would have gone a 2:19. When lacitc freeze-up hits you are helpless.

knelson
July 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
That said, I think Soni will learn from this and go on to be a great and consistent breastroker.:cheerleader:

Before this year hasn't she really been known as a 200 breaststroker? Heck she won the 200 breast all four years at NCAAs and was the 2008 Olympic gold medalist and world record holder. I'd say this swim was the sole blemish on a pretty impressive resume in the event.

Robert Strand
July 31st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Glenn- I should'nt be offering opinions on your swimming (since we train together quite often) and you know I have become a "pretender not a contender". As you know I have taken Chad's motto "swim less for success" to heart. I was hoping that technology would carry me for the next 20 years, God willing!!! EOM

Glenn
July 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Bob,

You very well are welcome to offer opinions on my swimming........in fact I encourage you to do so. There is no way to get better unless you push the envelope and maybe try something different from time to time.

You my friend are still very much a contender!!!:bow:

Knelson,

My bad. Didn't realize Soni had already swum four years in NCAA's. In that case, she should just put this one behind her and kick a## the next time.