That Guy
July 31st, 2009, 01:09 PM
wow!

Warren
July 31st, 2009, 01:11 PM
I mean, its not that big of a surprise.

Jazz Hands
Chop stroke at the end, too. Could maybe be a little faster if he times it right.

That Guy
prediction: phelps and cavic both break 50 tomorrow.

thewookiee
July 31st, 2009, 01:20 PM

cavic...maybe...phelps...nope.

Warren
July 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
It's going to to come down to whoever makes a mistake is going to lose, just like in Beijing. Mistake free, Cavic is better, just like he was in Beijing. Hopefully he will prove that he is the best 100 flyer in the world.

knelson
July 31st, 2009, 01:24 PM
Phelps needs to get out there and go for it. He can't afford to be a second behind Cavic at the 50.

Mswimming
July 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
This article makes things a little bit more interesting. Cavic has offered to buy Phelps a suit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/swimming/news/story?id=4368336

Reminds me of "What's your excuse tonight, Roy?" Boxing fans might remember that one.

tjrpatt
July 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Cavic really needs to shut up. I am sure that there are other Serbians who would like to train in the US or Italy like he does.

SLOmmafan
July 31st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Cavic has a fantastic butterfly. It's tough to know that you will always be known as the guy who "almost" derailed Michael Phelps 8 gold medal run in 08. Cavic could win every single 100 fly he swims against Phelps going forward, and 30 years from now hardly anyone will even remember his name.

knelson
July 31st, 2009, 02:38 PM
It's tough to know that you will always be known as the guy who "almost" derailed Michael Phelps 8 gold medal run in 08.

In a way Cavic is sort of the Al Downing of swimming.

If you don't know who Al Downing is, this link will give you a clue: http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/john_donovan/07/25/downing.aaron/t1_downing.jpg

Tim L
July 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
I predict Cavic wins tomorrow by a tenth. Phelps goes 50.1 and Cavic goes about the same time as today. We will see, but this has to be one of the most anticipated swimming races in quite some time.

I like all the talking, sniping about the suits, and mama Phelps' disapproving looks.

I would like to see Phelps win, but I just don't know if he has enough early speed.

Tim

TRYM_Swimmer
July 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Everyone talks about Michael whining, but Cavic is STILL whining about Beijing, when he clearly choked at the finish. Not touching hard enough??? That's what we get with inexperienced 80-year-olds at the Senior Games. He's not shown he's the best yet. And I hope Michael takes him again.

All the rubber suit lovers are rooting against Michael all of a sudden! And all of this talk about his immature actions! Get real! He's reaped what his hard work sowed and has given swimming more PR than it has had since Spitz. When have you ever seen swimming have so many articles on the online sites SI and ESPN? Not to mention NBC coverage. It's major news coverage and it wouldn't have been had Cavic won in Beijing. So be happy and keep swimming!

Go USA! See you in the pool!

beireland
July 31st, 2009, 05:33 PM
My prediction is that Cavic keeps the record and Phelps finds a way to touch him out at the finish in the swim.

Ilion
August 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Well... Phelps.

3strokes
August 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM

Good prediction, I think (unless my memory is playing tricks on me, nope, just checked it again, both under 50")

That Guy
August 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Good prediction, I think (unless my memory is playing tricks on me, nope, just checked it again, both under 50")

Thanks! Notice I didn't predict the winner. I really wasn't sure!

How cool is it that Phelps joined Jim Montgomery as the second member of the First To Break 50 Club? (Well, I suppose that long ago, some other people were the first to break 50 for the 50m distances, but... we're talking 100's! Nothing to see here, please disperse!) Who will be the third member of that club, and what event will it be in? Women's 100 free and men's 100 backstroke are the likeliest events, but it will probably be a while. Maybe another 33 years!

orca1946
August 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Phelps in a textile suit , under 50 to 49!!! Take that Cavic !!!

knelson
August 2nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Phelps in a textile suit , under 50 to 49!!! Take that Cavic !!!

The LZR is not a textile suit.

Lump
August 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
I was a great race to watch from start to finish. The coolest was to literally see Phelps kick it up a gear the final 25 meters. From the overhead shot on NBC you could just see Phelps dig deeper, kick harder, increase his pace...it was like you could see him thinking.:applaud:

Flurpo
August 2nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
:applaud:

Phelps was just amazing..He was an extremely technical race...He know that Cavic would tighten up..I knew Cavic as a kid here in Socal...saw him swim at Tustin HS. I really have a hard time thinking of him as Serbian. He's American.