PDA

View Full Version : Should USMS Follow FINA in Suit Rules

Allen Stark
July 31st, 2009, 01:55 PM
I think so,but if the other Masters organizations also wanted to break away so that WRs were still WRs and World TTs were still TTs I'd be OK with it.I don't know but I suspect B-70 and Xtera could make a profit from the suits especially if the stay Tri legal.Jaked may be able to also as there are a small company and there are lots of Masters swimmers in Italy(if they go along with us.)Another idea is split the rules for SCY from LCM and SCM.FINA has nothing to do with our SCY records so it wouldn't matter.

rodent
July 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM
Since the FINA suit rules change on a daily basis, it is not only hard to follow them, but hard to keep up with them.
I think that Masters Swimming world wide, is large enough to make it's own rules.
We don't need FINA's talking heads or coaches with endorsement contracts making decisions about a sport we all love!:applaud:

thewookiee
July 31st, 2009, 03:32 PM
It would be nice to hear something from either Rob C. or Rob B. on this matter.

jim thornton
July 31st, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think the rules have to be uniform. I mean the Sr. golf tour players are allowed to drive from closer tee placements than the regular pros, but I am almost certain they have to abide by the same equipment restrictions.

Maybe this is the answer! We wear the FINA sanctioned suits, but we can dive from starting blocks positioned at little closer to the other end of the pool! (A whole new market for Speedo: overhanging starting blocks featuring high tech suspension technology that doesn't cause collapse even when a large Klydesdale of a swimmer mounts them.)

Maybe our SCY times should count as SCM events?

On a more serious and implementable note...

The one thing I really would like to see in terms of suits is that men get to have the same coverage as women--i.e., shoulders to knees. Women, granted, have their fun bags to cover for modesty's sake, but I argue that fun bag anti-flopping binding technology also provides a streamlining advantage.

So what about those of us plagued by hirsute Austin Powers-like chestal (and, alas, backal) carpeting? Must we be forced to shave and then itch for months as the demonic and now sharpened hair points emerge from our virgin skin (virgin because the hair has for so long protected it from exposure to wind and elements)?

I say that having a hairy chest is just as much of an impediment as having fun bags (and, to be fair, many of us aging male former girdle wearers have both hairy chests AND our own fun bags, sometimes even bigger ones than our distaff rivals'). I say let us wear a textile-approved chest-covering modesty suit like Tarzan did in his Olympic era.

What say ye to this modest, or perhaps immodest, proposal, my fellow hairy fun bag owners? Would you women be upset if my Austin Powers pecs were hidden from view?

Or relieved?

thewookiee
July 31st, 2009, 03:37 PM
I say "Yay" for Mr. Thornton's motion.

ALM
July 31st, 2009, 05:12 PM
Aren't they called "moobs" on men?

Brings back memories of the Seinfeld "manziere" episode...

BillS
July 31st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Regardless of which way USMS goes, please present us with a clear, unambiguous, and enforceable rule, and provide us with cogent and compelling reasons for adopting whatever rule is adopted. Nothing is more frustrating to the governed than a governing body that acts arbitarily and capriciously. I'm sure there will be grumbling no matter which way USMS chooses to go, but -- and I am speaking strictly for myself here, but I know I have heard and seen more than a few similar sentiments expressed -- I am sick to death of all the hoopla surrounding the issue. I see no need for USMS to wait to see how many times FINA reverses course over the next few months, or how it chooses to define the evidently elusive word "textile," or for a final decision on some supposed implementation date that changed twice in the last week alone.

The way FINA bends with the winds, I wouldn't be surprised to see a USMS decision have an impact on FINA's ultimate decision.

Just meet, discuss, adopt, publicize, and implement. I at least will be happy to compete in whatever "costume" USMS decides to approve.