PDA

View Full Version : How to learn latest swimming techniques?

fito
June 23rd, 2003, 05:05 PM
How to learn newest swimming techniques?

I learned to swim long time ago… and I was taught how to swim the old fashion (crawl: breathing at the end of the stroke, head 45 degree to the front, S shaped stroke, etc.)

However, I see Olympians swimming totally different… There are so many changes in the way to swim each stroke and I would like to take advantage of these techniques but I don’t know where to learn the new way?

Are there any books or videos (better) that I can use to self teach me the new techniques?

Thanks

Rodolfo

Nancy Graham
June 23rd, 2003, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty new to this wondreful site, and am returning to swimming after a long time away from it. I have gotten great tips and information from several of the knowledgeable people on here.

The Total Immersion books, DVDs and videos may be what you are looking for. I do not have first hand experience with any of these, but from someone's very positive recommendation, I have just ordered my first book.

The site is www.totalimmersion.net.

Hope this will be helpful for you,

Nancy:)

swimmore
September 12th, 2003, 06:11 PM
http://www.swimmingcoach.org/Stroke_video/default.htm

Follow the above and take a look at the video on this site. It will greatly help with stroke count reduction. Please also get a private lesson with a (asca) cert. masters coach. They would better take a look and give more input than reading from a book and then guessing at what is correct and what needs to be fixed.

Good Luck:D

Coach Steven Fair
www.pirateswimming.com
swimmore

Nancy Graham
September 12th, 2003, 07:06 PM
My dilemma is finding a Masters Swim Team and/or coach in my area. I don't even seem to be able to access a list of what is available. Any suggestions for how to find out? I found one team and observed for one session and determined it was not for me. There appeared to be no actual coaching --simply handing out drills, and all swimmers were not only much younger than I, but definitely into speed and racing. I would like to join a team to work on my technique and stamina with the help of a coach's eye.

Nancy

Gareth Eckley
September 13th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Have you checked out any "swim clinics" ? Some pools will offer these. Call pools in your area, often they put up a poster to get people to sign up.

This is where a coach teaches a clinic. You simply sign up and usually you are in a group of a dozen people. I went to 3 as a participant in Vancouver, BC, Canada. They were excellent. We were videotaped and got to see ourselves on film. You learn so much from that.

I am now coaching and I will be running my first clinic soon. I am in Wales so a bit too far away from you !

Good luck.

Nancy Graham
September 13th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks Gareth,

I hadn't know about the clinics, and will do some calling around to find out if there are any nearby. It sounds like just the thing I am looking for.

Nancy

swimmore
September 13th, 2003, 10:34 AM
You may be able to find inforamtion on clinic's and masters teams. Find out from other swimmers in your area if there is a coach that likes working on strokes. They may set up a time for you to come and try out the practice without a charge.

Swimmore

fito
September 15th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Hi Everybody,
Thanks for all the information you are giving me here... I tried the Total Immersion workshop and like it, I am trying the drills and I will let you know if I turn into a fish or not...
In addition, I had the opportunity to get Jan Sibbersen to see my stroke and comment about it and he pointed out some mistakes I am doing so I have to work on that as well.
The link http://www.swimmingcoach.org/Stroke_video/default.htm is very usefull.
Thanks again
Rodolfo

bokko
December 2nd, 2003, 05:56 PM
dear fito, the swim world improve very quickly but the base technique is always the same.
in the last years we assist a change in swim style passing from high technique swim (Popov) to a "power" swim (Phelps for example).
the new border is in the type of training, now we see much quality than quantity.

Bert Bergen
December 5th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Nancy, on the USMS.org main page (where you start before coming to these forums) is a section for "Places to Swim." Check there for teams/pools in your area. Also, go to the LMSC tab as well and click on your area (PNA Masters Swimming) to get to your state's website listing teams, coaches, meets, etc. Good luck, you have a well organized group up there.

Nancy Graham
December 6th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Thanks Bert for your suggestion. When I have phoned some of the pools that are close to where I live I have gotten response that there is no Master's Team there or some other message that has indicated that it is not a place for me to learn -- such as a clinic or something. The pools that appear to have teams are further away from me than I would want to travel. More realistically I would not be consistent if I have to drive half an hour in unending traffic to get to a pool.

I have found one "drop in" clinic or at least lessons that I have atended once and will try to get to periodically -- though it too is about half an hour away it is at least mid morning on a Sunday.

I do want to improve my techniques and maybe even a bit more efficient speed, and I do not feel like I am material for a competitive team. But I would like to find something that could fit my needs and be close to home.

Thanks for writing to me.

Nancy

Bindi Collins
December 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Im looking at what info is on the net about swimming and see this guy Terry Laughlin talking himself up alot along with selling his business products. Im a bit of a cynic but am willing to have my mind reset.
Can anyone tell me about his credibility?
1. how well did his swimmers swim in the Olympic trial he got swimmers to in 1980 84 and 88 ? What were their names?
2. did he make up all the swimming ideas he sells and if not where did he get them from?
3. he says he is a national champion - is that for real or just to impress? Also how many people were in the race?

No surf today (Im an occasional pool swimmer but regular bodysurfer) too much smoke from the bushfires to get there, bit grumpy as a result.
Bindi

Speedo Racer
January 13th, 2007, 11:56 PM
How to learn newest swimming techniques?

Are there any books or videos (better) that I can use to self teach me the new techniques?

I found Richard Quick's video series: Championship Winning Swimming to be very informative.

swimmore
January 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM
http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/scan/sp=catresults/se=categories/va=category=617.html?id=DhifmeJd

Look at the David Marsh series. I like the way swimming is presented.

CoachTy
November 28th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Terry Laughlin was a student of Bill Boomer and Milt Nelms. He took their information and then commercialized it. Smart idea. However, I believe he isn't really updating or expanding his training. Great starting place for beginners. Just my thoughts.

-Coach Ty