PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal? (kneeskin/chest covering suit)

kcswimjk
July 31st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Hi there,

A question for anyone, particularly men (and maybe Wookie in particular?):

Do you "notice the water" around the chest of the suit on kneeskin/full body suit?

I graduated from college swimming in '03, so I basically missed the LZR/B70/tech suit era. I've never swum in a full body suit -- I've only competed in briefs, jammers, and legskins before.

But in preparation for a couple of aquathlons, I bought this Speedo FSII trisuit (http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3106199&clickid=Men_Aqualab&cp=3124322.3124332.3124355.3124371). (If you can't see the link, it's basically kind of a truncated kneeskin that goes from shoulders to midway down the thighs, and zips in the front. It doesn't have a "pad" for the bike, which is one reason I bought it).

I've tried it a couple of times in a pool, and it feels pretty good. I've done some pace 50s, 100s and 200s with a brief on, and then with the suit, and they're usually a little faster with the suit (by maybe 1 second per 50). But I also have this sense that it's making my chest rise higher in the water, and (maybe?) that there's some water moving around. Is that normal?

I can't tell if:

1) it's just a new, higher body position that I'm not used to yet,
2) if there's actually water moving around, or if
3) it's just all in my mind.

Obviously, the pace times indicate that it's okay, but maybe I'm just subconsciously trying harder because of it, and over 1500 meters the suit might become bothersome or have a negative effect.

Any thoughts? I may just stick with the jammer, but then I pretty much wasted this purchase...

Thanks for any responses.

pwolf66
July 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Are you adjusting the suit to ensure that it is as high on your chest as possible? If the neck line is too low then you risk scooping water.

kcswimjk
July 31st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the response, pwolf.

"Scooping water"...that's a good description. Honestly, I haven't paid attention to the neckline, but now that you mention it, I watched Ryan Lochte adjust the neckline of his LZR right before the 200 IM. I'm sure that was why

But you don't think this necessarily means it's too loose, do you?

Dolphin 2
July 31st, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hi there,

A question for anyone, particularly men (and maybe Wookie in particular?):

Do you "notice the water" around the chest of the suit on kneeskin/full body suit?

I graduated from college swimming in '03, so I basically missed the LZR/B70/tech suit era. I've never swum in a full body suit -- I've only competed in briefs, jammers, and legskins before.

But in preparation for a couple of aquathlons, I bought this Speedo FSII trisuit (http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3106199&clickid=Men_Aqualab&cp=3124322.3124332.3124355.3124371). (If you can't see the link, it's basically kind of a truncated kneeskin that goes from shoulders to midway down the thighs, and zips in the front. It doesn't have a "pad" for the bike, which is one reason I bought it).

I've tried it a couple of times in a pool, and it feels pretty good. I've done some pace 50s, 100s and 200s with a brief on, and then with the suit, and they're usually a little faster with the suit (by maybe 1 second per 50). But I also have this sense that it's making my chest rise higher in the water, and (maybe?) that there's some water moving around. Is that normal?

I can't tell if:

1) it's just a new, higher body position that I'm not used to yet,
2) if there's actually water moving around, or if
3) it's just all in my mind.

Obviously, the pace times indicate that it's okay, but maybe I'm just subconsciously trying harder because of it, and over 1500 meters the suit might become bothersome or have a negative effect.

Any thoughts? I may just stick with the jammer, but then I pretty much wasted this purchase...

Thanks for any responses.

kcswimjk
With all the problems you're having with your new suit, here's my suggestion:

http://trashcansunlimited.com/library/20GallonSTLTrashCan.jpg

Hey, you said "Thanks for any responses" so I guess that makes mine fair game.

Dolphin 2

kcswimjk
July 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM
Seriously...that may not be a bad idea. It's got one more shot, and then that's where it's headed. :)