PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Swimming

islandsox
July 31st, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone! I've sure missed all of you, but have been busy doing lots of other thing while my shoulder is in rehab. It's slow going, but that's okay, I hope to have lots of swimming years left in me.

I tried swimming a few hundred yards a couple of weeks ago and it was entirely TOO soon, trust me (LOL). So today, I tried again. There was a gain in yardage, still pretty slim though, only 400 yds, as I won't be completely healed until October. A little ice helped a lot.

So, I am piecing this together, one baby step at a time, and one day, I will be set free so I can train (again) for the 21 mile swim that my heart says I must try.

Starting over from scratch was my worst thought. But now, to be positive, I consider it a new journey and I know what to expect along the way and how slow the progress may be.

I had the best doctor since my earlier previous surgeries. I've got the MRI and surgery on disk, he did not charge me for the physical therapy, and he reduced his surgical fee by $2,000 knowing I was paying cash. So, there are some wonderful doctors out there who know when to pay it back. I had such a doctor. Dr. Len Ward from Denton, Texas. And trying to find the surgical sites on my shoulder is next to impossible!

Donna:cheerleader:

qbrain
July 31st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Can you kick? If you do kick only (or kick mostly) practices until October, you might return with a better kick than you ever had.

Your doctor was from Denton, but you train in San Mateo and live in Roatan? You must have a million airline miles :)

If you are in the DFW area, stop by NTEX (http://www.ntexmasters.com/) when you are feeling better. Lots of OW and tri swimmers (from my perspective as a competitive pool swimmer only).

I wish you a quick and full recovery.

3strokes
July 31st, 2009, 10:09 PM
Welcome back.................
In more ways than one.:canada:

FindingMyInnerFish
August 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Donna, great to hear from you again!

Sorry to hear how long the recuperation was, and I hope that improvement and gains in yards come faster for you! I know what swimming means to you and it s**ks to have to lay off so long!

But anyway, welcome back and keep on recovering! :applaud:

islandsox
August 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Can you kick? If you do kick only (or kick mostly) practices until October, you might return with a better kick than you ever had.

Your doctor was from Denton, but you train in San Mateo and live in Roatan? You must have a million airline miles :)

If you are in the DFW area, stop by NTEX (http://www.ntexmasters.com/) when you are feeling better. Lots of OW and tri swimmers (from my perspective as a competitive pool swimmer only).

I wish you a quick and full recovery.

Thanks so much, but I never have kicked very much and I certainly won't on a 21 mile swim or I'd never make it (LOL). I kick just enough to balance out my body and conserve energy; that's the key.

I used to belong to the San Mateo Masters Marlins years ago, I now live on the island of Roatan, north of Honduras, so I only ocean train. But the next time I'm in Dallas (my sister lives there and I visit twice a year), I'll look you up. You'll recognize me right away; I'll be the one with the tan!

Thanks for the well wishes!

Donna

DeletedAccount
August 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
I now live on the island of Roatan, north of Honduras, so I only ocean train.

Wow. Awesome............ Good luck with your shoulder rehab/recovery!

T

nkfrench
August 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
If you haven't been doing any exercise post-op, fins still might be good for building your overall aerobic base and getting your core muscles in swimming shape while taking a load off the work your shoulders normally handle. They would also get you through some drills just to work on building up your shoulders. They would let you get more than just a few hundred yards in before you need to call it quits. Besides, they are fun. :)

Good luck on your recovery! I wondered why we hadn't heard from you for such a while.

qbrain
August 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks so much, but I never have kicked very much and I certainly won't on a 21 mile swim or I'd never make it (LOL). I kick just enough to balance out my body and conserve energy; that's the key.

Kicking is still good cardio :)

You'll recognize me right away; I'll be the one with the tan!

Haha, tan people really stand out in Texas.

Leonard Jansen
August 4th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Donna -
Good to have you back. Keep us informed on how your rehab and subsequent training for the "big swim" goes.
-LBJ

The Fortress
August 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM
And trying to find the surgical sites on my shoulder is next to impossible!

:rofl::rofl: ;)

Rock on, lady!