PDA

View Full Version : USMS ruling on modesty suits

pwolf66
August 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Anyone know what that is? The last one I remember was that they were acceptable. But heck that was a while ago. Things seem to change so quickly lately, no idea why. :angel:

I sure hope so cause I'm planning on wearing my B70 with a 'sketchy' rear seam and would hate to Paul Smith it on the blocks with nothing but me under the B70. :afraid:

RobbieD
August 2nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
I asked the Rules Chairperson back in March and she said they are fine as long as the suit worn underneath another suit is for modesty only and not for additional compression or flotation it is allowable. So a brief under a B70 is totally fine. As far as I know masters hasn't changed anything at all, just FINA.

ALM
August 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
"...would hate to Paul Smith it on the blocks with nothing but me under the B70. :afraid:

A new verb. Feel free to add alternate definitions:

Paul Smith (pôl smĭth) v. Paul Smithed, Paul Smithing, Paul Smiths. 1. To render useless a $400 swimsuit, while causing permanent emotional scarring of all those in view.

That Guy
August 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

Paul Smith (pôl smĭth) v. Paul Smithed, Paul Smithing, Paul Smiths. 1. To render useless a $400 swimsuit, while causing permanent emotional scarring of all those in view.

To complain on Masters swimming forums about floswimming's selection of a Fleetwood Mac song in their video of your 1500 in which you entered with NT, walked up behind the blocks wearing three B70's, each of which had a large hole in the posterior, with the Ironman "dot-M" tattooed on your rear end, and you butterfrogged the first 50 for a split request, noodled the rest, and then cried on the podium.

jim thornton
August 3rd, 2009, 11:33 PM

I have lived my whole life in fear that somehow my name would end up becoming linked with something humiliatiing and beyond my control. Fans of the movie, Kingpin, will know what it means to get "Munson'ed." In our own swimming community, there is a precedent for this kind of Proper Noun to Verb conversion: to Hiddlebiddle (origin too lengthy to go into here.)

In any event, Jayhawk, by your brilliant use of proper dictionary punctuation--whatever that little mark is called over "pol" is used brilliantly!--you have done to the only somewhat deserving Paul Smith what I have feared might have done to me. Turned his name into a highly embarrassing and shameful act.

To be Paul Smithed--apologies here, in advance, to his lovely bride--sounds like a really nasty Rogering indeed.

Even the wicked, as Eudora Welty has suggested, get more than they deserve.

FlyQueen
August 4th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Anyone know what that is? The last one I remember was that they were acceptable. But heck that was a while ago. Things seem to change so quickly lately, no idea why. :angel:

I sure hope so cause I'm planning on wearing my B70 with a 'sketchy' rear seam and would hate to Paul Smith it on the blocks with nothing but me under the B70. :afraid:

We all appreciate your modesty as well ... remember it's not just your rear we want modestly covered. ;) I'm still traumatized from the Paul Smith incident and the Big Tree incident in Portland ... I figure you two can split my medical bills.

ViveBene
August 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM
...whatever that little mark is called over "pol" ...

Even the wicked, as Eudora Welty has suggested, get more than they deserve.

:)
Math guys call it a "hat."

In Eurospeak, it is a plummy Pohl.

When good things happen to bad people--the sequel.

orca1946
August 4th, 2009, 04:15 PM
At the Illinois state meet , there was a sign posted that ONLY ONE suit of any kind can be worn - no exceptions. So no modest suits allowed.

Muppet
August 4th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I just thought of something - a problem with this rule and USMS swims being used in the USAS Swim Times Database.

I could be wrong, but my understanding of this whole modesty suit stuff is that USAS/Fina don't allow one - but USMS is ok with it. Perhaps this difference in opinion has caused some folks at meets like state's, zones, nationals, etc., to set forth the 1-suit policy so that times may be submitted without issue.

knelson
August 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I could be wrong, but my understanding of this whole modesty suit stuff is that USAS/Fina don't allow one - but USMS is ok with it.

Yes, I think you are wrong. It's only FINA that has a problem with it. USA-S issued a statement earlier in the year saying modesty suit are OK. Their current position seems to be that they are OK except for National and International level events.

swimmj
August 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yes, I think you are wrong. It's only FINA that has a problem with it. USA-S issued a statement earlier in the year saying modesty suit are OK. Their current position seems to be that they are OK except for National and International level events.

I asked if I could wear a tank under my b 70 (not for compression) for modesty rules, to make it easier to deck change. I was told it would not be permitted, but most males seem to wear briefs under their tech suits. I'm not in favor of banning the practice for males, but it seems that the rules are not enforced or are misunderstood.

--mj

knelson
August 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Here's where I found the note on the USAS site that I mentioned:
http://www.usaswimming.org/usasweb/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabId=147&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en