PDA

View Full Version : What WR will last the longest?

lefty
August 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
If the new regulations are put into effect basically limiting swimmers to knee skins, what world records will last the longest?

I think the 50 free for men and 400 free for women. I could see the 50 free lasting for 25 years. The 400 free for maybe, I dont know, 50 years?!?!?

ehoch
August 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
For the Men - the 50 Free will be untouchable for a very very long time.

For the women, the sprint Frees are also very fast -- the 200 and 400 Free as well, but I always think that Evans went 4:03 twenty years ago - so somebody should be to swim 3:59 at some point (without aid).

But I am gonna pick the 200 IM for the women. I believe no female has ever gone below 2:10 without a speedsuit (or doping ... Chinese). It will be interesting to see the times in this event next year, but if the suits are all regular textile, they still may not break 2:10 and that's a long way to 2:06 ...

Peter Cruise
August 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
The record for most world records set in a single swim meet (was it 41 or 42?) will also stand up...unless they relaunch the suits just before 2012 Olys to create additional excitement.

Jazz Hands
August 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Bousquet's 50 free, because it's so much faster than Popov (who was untouchable for a good stretch there), and because of physics. The faster you're going, the more a low-drag suit should help. Men's 50 is as fast as they get.

mctrusty
August 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hackett's 1500 record withstood the suits, so it's got an 8 year head start.

Chris Stevenson
August 3rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Since the new suits can be worn until Jan 1, I wonder how many people will be going for WRs until that time?

Also: everyone is assuming that some version of fast-suits will never return. I would like to think so but wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I also think the women's times will be affected less than the men by the new rules. First of all, there are studies that seem to show that they were aided less by the tech suits (at least up to the LZR) than the men. Secondly, they can still have coverage from shoulders to knees, which isn't too bad. I bet even with the "textile" (and zipperless? I forget) restriction the suit manufacturers can come up with some pretty fast suits.

thewookiee
August 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
So, assuming that FINA doesn't change their stance again, what are the changes of the FS Pro Jammer still be legal on/after Jan. 1,2010?

Did anyone else notice that Jaked does produce a jammer? Doubt it will be legal if it is made with the same material as their fullbody though.

GGS5T
August 3rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
British Swimming is starting to panic - BIG STYLE!

They fear that not one world record will fall at the 2012 Olympics.

Redbird Alum
August 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
British Swimming is starting to panic - BIG STYLE!

They fear that not one world record will fall at the 2012 Olympics.

Has there ever been an olympics in the modern era in which no swimming WR's were set?

ehoch
August 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
96 was a really dry year -- Many of the new records have been the result of the improvments in dolphin kicks and rule changes.

The Freestyle records seem to have had much more longevity compared to all the strokes. It goes Jager to Popov to Tech suits /// or Biondi to Hoogenband to Tech suits // East German to Van Almsick to Pelligrini / Evans to Manaudou .

I think we are close to running out of rule changes, but there still seems to be some room for a new generation of kids that grew up learning the dolphin kicks as youngsters.

On the other hand some of the psychological barriers may have now fallen ... it may have never occurred to 100 Fliers to shoot for a sub 50 sec or sub 52 for a 100 Back ...

If they go really "old-school", we will see 5 or less records in 2012... just my guess.

orca1946
August 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Men - the 1500 & women - I'm going with the 200 IM

Mark Savage
August 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Has there ever been an olympics in the modern era in which no swimming WR's were set?

Great trivia question- I don't think so.

Mark Savage
August 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Besides the 50, I'm thinking Phelps' 4:03 400 IM will be around for a long time. Tyler Clary may have a shot at it. Sounds like Ryan doesn't want to swim the event after this year and Phelps says he's done with the event.

notsofast
August 4th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I think the swimming poobahs are addicted to world records and will change other rules to promote them. Any ideas what they might change?

knelson
August 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
For the women, the sprint Frees are also very fast -- the 200 and 400 Free as well, but I always think that Evans went 4:03 twenty years ago - so somebody should be to swim 3:59 at some point (without aid).

I agree. I actually thought the winning time would be faster than 3:59. I think the 200 free at 1:52.98 will be much more difficult to break. When Evans swam her 4:03 in Seoul the WR in the 200 free was a 1:57.5 by East German swimmer Heike Friedrich, so the 200 free and 400 free records have both gone down by about 4.5 seconds.

It might be more interesting to see swimmers chasing that "red line" for a while rather than leaving it in the dust. After the record assault we've experienced in the last two years maybe we need a couple years where no records are set.

DPC
August 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I think the swimming poobahs are addicted to world records and will change other rules to promote them.

If WR becone so scarce or even unattainable viewership will really fall off - right now swimming is big every four years - outside of the hard core fan - and this year in Rome was the exception. If that red line is closely chased, then it is exciting (this 35 WR and 41 WR at a single meet is a bit unreal). But if not - people will get off the bandwagon, and unlike baseball - the sport doesn't seem to have the viewership to support many lean years. If they are smart FINA will change somethings to promote the swimmer, minimize the impact of technology and move the sport ahead. Then again this is FINA and this may only happen when pigs fly.

lefty
August 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
If WR becone so scarce or even unattainable viewership will really fall off - right now swimming is big every four years - outside of the hard core fan - and this year in Rome was the exception. If that red line is closely chased, then it is exciting (this 35 WR and 41 WR at a single meet is a bit unreal). But if not - people will get off the bandwagon, and unlike baseball - the sport doesn't seem to have the viewership to support many lean years. If they are smart FINA will change somethings to promote the swimmer, minimize the impact of technology and move the sport ahead. Then again this is FINA and this may only happen when pigs fly.

Gymnastics has no world records. The stars are marketed not the performances. That is how swimming has to do it. That actually is better for the sport.

quicksilver
August 4th, 2009, 11:53 AM
basically limiting swimmers to knee skinsCan't imagine anyone going 1:41 in the 200 free with just skin.

Then again there are some seriously fast high schoolers out there right now.

BillS
August 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Dunno about that. The Cavic v. Phelps 100 fly showdown seemed more about the quest for redemption and man on man combat than the record. The WR was a component, but a secondary one.

Joe Sixpack understands how close the Beijing race was, the smack talk leading up to the Roma Rematch, the fact that Cavic posted a faster time in the prelims, and the fact that Cavic was leading at the 50. He doesn't understand how mind-blowing it is to go sub-50; to him, that's just a number that bears no relation to his (or, truthfully, my) daily reality.