PDA

View Full Version : Cavic-Phelps Duel

fatboy
August 3rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
What about the challenge that Cavic issued to Phelps for a one on one duel next year? Any chance that it will happen? Will it be an exhibition heat at a meet they will both be swimming or a special event like the Biondi-Jager matches years ago?

If it does happen, any chance that Cavic will win?

ttp://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20090803/Phelps-Cavic-Duel/Duel/

thewookiee
August 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM
What about the challenge that Cavic issued to Phelps for a one on one duel next year? Any chance that it will happen? Will it be an exhibition heat at a meet they will both be swimming or a special event like the Biondi-Jager matches years ago?

If it does happen, any chance that Cavic will win?

ttp://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20090803/Phelps-Cavic-Duel/Duel/

There's always a chance he can win.

lefty
August 3rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
After the Olympics Cavic made a similar offer. I think at that time Phelps had nothing to gain by the challenge. But it is different now.

I think Vegas could get 4-5K people to show up to this at $100 per ticket. Make an NBC special of it on Sunday night. Yeah, that might work. 5 or 6 events $75K to each winner, $25K to each loser.

That Guy
August 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
5 or 6 events $75K to each winner, $25K to each loser.

Which other gridges would you want to see next year? Here's a few to start the ball rolling...

Lezak-Bernard
Phelps-Biedermann
Soni-L.Jones
Cielo-Bousquet-C.Jones-Bovell-Adrian-etc
Steffen-Trickett-etc

Jeff Commings
August 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Michael Phelps would never agree to something like that, especially if done in-season. Both swimmers would have to be fully tapered for it in order to make it interesting and fair, and Phelps would never fully taper for a TV race. But, maybe it could happen.

I don't think either of them need the money they might get from it.

The Jager-Biondi match race of 1990 happened after the short course nationals, so both were at the end of their season. If two rivals race in-season, there's no way it could be fair. One could be a much better racer when broken down than the other.

SLOmmafan
August 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
I gave Cavic some leeway about the Olympic race - it was close and possibly questionable about who won. This was the rematch - he lost. He will get another chance in 2011 and 2012 (if not at a non-major event sooner), I just don't see how this would generate that much interest.

ehoch
August 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Swimmers really HAVE to get past the idea that they can only swim one fast meet per season. Right now they should have at least 2-3 more meets ....

- head to head races in the 50s with top 8 swimmers
- Biedermann vs Phelps in the 200 .. no tech suits
- 100 Fly
- relay rematch
- women's 200 IM ......

orca1946
August 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
I M H O Phelps has nothing to gain in this

mikeh
August 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Swimmers really HAVE to get past the idea that they can only swim one fast meet per season. Right now they should have at least 2-3 more meets ....

- 100 Fly
- relay rematch
- women's 200 IM ......

I agree. It would be exciting, and lots of money could be made. The men should race in briefs.

Mark Savage
August 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I agree. It would be exciting, and lots of money could be made. The men should race in briefs.

I would be very curious to see what their times would be in briefs.

pwb
August 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM

- 100 Fly
- relay rematch
- women's 200 IM ......

Absolutely, and with no major international competition in 2010 like World Champs or Olympics, it would be a perfect year to keep the sport in the spotlight. Make the event big enough with enough "matches" (e.g., add Lochte-Phelps 200 IM to the above) to make it a "taper-worthy" meet, hold it in a nice exotic locale with Myrtha supplying the pool, get the Vegas oddsmakers, sponsors and TV lined up and go for it. These elites are all pro anyway, so give them another earning opportunity and another opportunity for their sponsors to keep their image and swimming in the forefront.

orca1946
August 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Sure, offer them boxing $$$$$$ & see what happens ? For 12 million I will race either of them !! :bump:

mikeh
August 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Absolutely, and with no major international competition in 2010 like World Champs or Olympics, it would be a perfect year to keep the sport in the spotlight. Make the event big enough with enough "matches" (e.g., add Lochte-Phelps 200 IM to the above) to make it a "taper-worthy" meet, hold it in a nice exotic locale with Myrtha supplying the pool, get the Vegas oddsmakers, sponsors and TV lined up and go for it. These elites are all pro anyway, so give them another earning opportunity and another opportunity for their sponsors to keep their image and swimming in the forefront.

I would also drug test the meet to the hilt. It will be an "unofficial" meet I guess, so perhaps meet organizers could insist that every swimmer be blood tested in addition to urine testing. Perhaps an endocrine profile could be required six months out, though that may be asking a bit much and be of limited utility if a swimmer is already on drugs.