PDA

View Full Version : Um, really gross question

isobel
August 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Has anyone ever thrown up while swimming in a race (or, hypothetically, the 10K postal toward the end), halfway down the lane, and, if so, what did you do?

Um, I'll just hypothetically say I had to do a puke/swallow keeping mouth shut thus ensuring no vileness entered pool and then stopped at other end of pool and drank a lot of water and then hypothetically hoped it would not happen again, hypothetically.

Then I was wondering, hypothetically, if one pukes while swimming in a race but does not cause puke to go in pool and thus ruin entire meet or cause entire facility to be shut down, but does a hypothetical puke/swallow followed by water and amnesia, does this mean one is now a real athlete? Is this a common thing swimmers pushing themselves hard run up against midpool during exertion for long distance swims? Even the 1000 free has felt close to this level of hypothetical situation for me.

smontanaro
August 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
um, yeah... My son was timing another guy at the same time I was doing one of the postal swims a few years ago. He blew chunks into the gutter. Can't remember any other details.

The chlorine is to supposed to counteract the vileness I believe. :)

Skip

rtodd
August 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Never thrown up. I knew someone who always threw up after racing the 400m in track. Kinda funny. IMO you should be able to get to the gutter to puke.

http://www.floswimming.org/videos/speaker/579-kim-brackin/74099-coed-practice-at-ut

Then it is not a big deal. Otherwise it is gross.

smontanaro
August 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
That reminds me... Wasn't there a video on floswimming of some set they were doing (I don't remember where) where they had to drink gatorade after every 100 or something. The last guy to puke was the winner.

isobel
August 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
It is gross. Hypothetically, consider it is a 50-meter pool, and, hypothetically you have no idea it's coming, and, hypothetically, you are in the middle of the 50 meters in the middle of the pool, with swimmers all around you. No way I could wait until the gutter or get to a gutter.

So, hypothetically, what do you do not to induce pool closing?

Was not so prolific a puke as in the video, by the way. Apparently no one was phased by that, including the puker. Bleah.

Michael Heather
August 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Never seen it in a pool. Used to know someone who heaved during open water races. I can't imagine getting that nauseous during a swim. Or going swimming when nauseous.

isobel
August 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
It was at 8300 of the 10K. And I wanted to finish. Felt fine until middle of 50 at 8300. Came out of the blue.

smontanaro
August 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hey, but you finished! (hypothetically speaking...) Congratulations! :cheerleader:

selkie
August 5th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I've puked after a 1000 at a meet and it ended up half in the lane and half in the gutter. No pool closure happened. I guess the assumption was that the chlorine would take care of it.

chaos
August 5th, 2009, 02:17 AM
only lost my cookies once during an 8 mile race. the game warden's boat was spewing exhaust in my direction for a while.... end of story. it completely robbed me of my energy.

ViveBene
August 5th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Congrats, Isobel! :applaud:
Excellent! I doubt I'll ever do 10k in a pool.

isobel
August 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hey, but you finished! (hypothetically speaking...) Congratulations! :cheerleader:

Congrats, Isobel! :applaud:
Excellent! I doubt I'll ever do 10k in a pool.

Thanks! Hypothetically speaking. And I just looked at my splits last night and even after the hypothetical grossness, I didn't tank; I wasn't a speedboat but I kept steady, which was far from my perception.:drown::banana::bliss::bed::bow: Now to practice.:anim_coffee:Obviously I'm out of control with these little doodads. Sorry.

Bobinator
August 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I threw up my oatmeal at Big Shoulders last year. I was about 800 or so into the race and in the middle of a pack that kept hitting me. One guy smacked my head and my goggles flew off. I stopped, threw up, thought about quitting, then found the goggles and continued on. I ended up having a really nice swim once I got out of that group. I will not eat oatmeal this year before BiG Shoulders for sure! :applaud:

isobel
August 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Um, what is Big Shoulders? Outdoors or indoor pool? Must be outdoors if you are in a pack.

Let's see what other doodads I can use to say woohoo to you . . .:woot::wave::groovy: :cool: (I'm just going for visuals here; I like the blue guy with shades and half smile; he looks cool, like a swimmer who toughs it out.) (You.)

So should we start a nonnutrition thread? Like "Down with oatmeal," and, hypothetically speaking, "Down with pineapple/mango/peach juice and banana chunks"? Hypothetically speaking please don't say Good Lord, Izzo! No wonder! Cetera.

tjrpatt
August 5th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I saw someone throw up after an Ocean swim recently.

isobel
August 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM
This thread is getting kind of funny! I have always wondered why I've never seen anyone throw up on the T in Boston.

Once on my way to practice one morning, early, a man sat two seats away from me, shouting at everyone on the train (he was rather intoxicated). He then took his false teeth out and placed them neatly on the seat between us.

I did the run-and-switch-train-cars at the next stop....

RuffWater
August 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I've hurled during a 10K ocean swim. A lot of things were going on that caused that one. Felt better after clearing my gut. Only my kayaker was grossed out.

And I hurled about 10 minutes after finishing a 10K. I was able to bury it in the sand and walk away. No harm, no foul. I'm thinking it was caused by the after-effects of swimming through a sizable patch of red tide during the race.

That Guy
August 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Ah, fond memories... :oldman: the closest I've come was back in college when I finished a 1650 and then vented some bile into the gutter. Small price to pay for staying just ahead of the same guy for the entire race... After a different 1650, one of my teammates mentioned that he'd thrown up twice during the race. No one else seemed to have noticed.

Chicken of the Sea
August 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
My first big OW race, St Croix, I was horribly seasick most of the way the FINALLY threw up and felt brilliant for the last 15 minutes.

ViveBene
August 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Big Shoulders, to answer Isobel's Q first, is a 2.5k/5k swim in Ohio Street Harbor, Chicago, Saturday, Sept. 12: www.bigshoulders.org (http://www.bigshoulders.org). This year it is the middle distance USMS championship swim and I am trying to be out of town. Last year there were ca. 650 registrants; this year it may hit 800. I got kicked in the face last year, and ppl crawled over me (you've already grabbed my legs, don't you think the rest of me might be attached?), turning the race, or community swim with dogs, into mixed martial arts - the aquatic version.

I hope the nutrition thread has legs. What people eat before a swim is always a good topic. Hypothetically, of course. ;)

I threw up my oatmeal at Big Shoulders last year. I was about 800 or so into the race and in the middle of a pack that kept hitting me. One guy smacked my head and my goggles flew off. I stopped, threw up, thought about quitting, then found the goggles and continued on. I ended up having a really nice swim once I got out of that group. I will not eat oatmeal this year before BiG Shoulders for sure! :applaud:
:eek:

Um, what is Big Shoulders? Outdoors or indoor pool? Must be outdoors if you are in a pack.

Let's see what other doodads I can use to say woohoo to you . . .:woot::wave::groovy: :cool: (I'm just going for visuals here; I like the blue guy with shades and half smile; he looks cool, like a swimmer who toughs it out.) (You.)

So should we start a nonnutrition thread? Like "Down with oatmeal," and, hypothetically speaking, "Down with pineapple/mango/peach juice and banana chunks"? Hypothetically speaking please don't say Good Lord, Izzo! No wonder! Cetera.

srcoyote
August 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM

See, here is proof that throwing up while swimming is OK. I continued to share this lake without a problem during this swim, and there isn't even any cholorine there. I must admit feeling a tad queasy coming around turn 2 the second time myself. Some boat fumes weren't mixing well with the swells.

Swimmy83843
August 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
In High School I threw up after my 200 IMs or 500 Free. Usually only the 200 IM, something about that race that makes me sick. Loved swimming it though.

swimshark
August 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Congrats on doing the 10k. Thinking about that makes me want to throw up.

Yes, I have done it twice. Both times I was pregnant. The first time was during warm-ups at LCM Nationals in Savannah (sorry to all who were there). It was on my back when I felt something not so right. I swallowed it and swam my 400 free 5 min later. I didn't know I was pregnant.

A few months later I was warming up during practice with my team and threw up a little bit. I got out and told the coach. He told me to tell the lane mates and as long as they were okay with it, we were keeping it quiet. That we did that day! After that, I went on anti-nausea medicine due to losing weight from throwing up too much during my pregnancy. I never went to practice with out the medicine!

isobel
August 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Congrats on doing the 10k. Thinking about that makes me want to throw up.

Yes, I have done it twice. Both times I was pregnant. The first time was during warm-ups at LCM Nationals in Savannah (sorry to all who were there). It was on my back when I felt something not so right. I swallowed it and swam my 400 free 5 min later. I didn't know I was pregnant.

A few months later I was warming up during practice with my team and threw up a little bit. I got out and told the coach. He told me to tell the lane mates and as long as they were okay with it, we were keeping it quiet. That we did that day! After that, I went on anti-nausea medicine due to losing weight from throwing up too much during my pregnancy. I never went to practice with out the medicine!

All right, I am laughing laughing laughing. Lord, I hope I'm not pregnant! Though I'm pretty sure it's not possible. Today my coach told me the same thing: never tell any lifeguard you have thrown up in the pool. I'm not sure I would want to tell my lanemates, though it does only seem fair. But see, I didn't puke in the pool! I did swimshark's Plan A. Now I know I can! Eeeuuhh.

And I agree with ViveBene (sp), a nutrition section that many brilliant swimmers have started in the "nonswimming-related" area, only to see it fizzle, is a very good idea, especially re carb loading before a long-distance swim, how/what to eat before/during/after meets, what to eat for maximum benefit/restoration during hard training, cetera.

Dolphin 2
August 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Here’s a spiffy idea to solve that nasty little problem:

Instead of having one big pool with just roped off lanes, they should have each person swim in separate reinforced concrete channels each with their own water filtration system.

This idea is based on the same concept as the reactor containment buildings used at a nuclear power plant.

That way, if someone has an “accident”, the contamination will be confined to just that person’s channel and everyone else wouldn’t be adversely affected. :agree:

Dolphin 2

Zurn
August 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Man, I must be nuts. I used to be a hard core distance swimmer. Maybe that's the differance. I used to puke all the time at workouts. Sometimes just a little in my mouth, some times it would get into the pool. I would try to get it in the gutter but some times it just comes.

My best two were: I remember doing a 3K for time and puking off of one of the walls and one of the girls told the coach after it was over. He half smiled and asked me if I puked, then said: “Gabe, lets aim for the gutter next time.” I also remember puking on my friend on a set of 10 x 100’s all out on 6:00. We were on #8 or so and I let it out just as I pushed off the wall. He was following me doing backstroke and got done and was like, “man, did you just puke? That was some chunky stuff.”

Just the other night I though I was going to puke swimming 6 x 100 broken at the 50 sprint with :10 rest at the 50. I just like pushing myself past the limit I guess…

FindingMyInnerFish
August 7th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Has anyone ever thrown up while swimming in a race (or, hypothetically, the 10K postal toward the end), halfway down the lane, and, if so, what did you do?

Um, I'll just hypothetically say I had to do a puke/swallow keeping mouth shut thus ensuring no vileness entered pool and then stopped at other end of pool and drank a lot of water and then hypothetically hoped it would not happen again, hypothetically.

Then I was wondering, hypothetically, if one pukes while swimming in a race but does not cause puke to go in pool and thus ruin entire meet or cause entire facility to be shut down, but does a hypothetical puke/swallow followed by water and amnesia, does this mean one is now a real athlete? Is this a common thing swimmers pushing themselves hard run up against midpool during exertion for long distance swims? Even the 1000 free has felt close to this level of hypothetical situation for me.

Congrats on your (hypothetical or not) swim!

Never felt nausea in a pool, but got pretty seasick in the last mile or so of a 5mile open water swim--In that instance, I saw no swimmers near my except at the very end of the race--by which time I'd lost most of whatever was inside me. So I must admit I didn't worry too much about other swimmers, but did hope that fish could use and appreciate the extra "chum" I was providing for them (no sharks to be worried about). (Interestingly, one day while walking in the city, I saw a couple birds gathered near where someone had tossed ... and the birds were picking out what was edible. Not to gross anyone out or anything like that, heaven forbid!) :shakeshead:

isobel
August 8th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Zurn, two things: (1) I don't think I would want to share a lane with you, no offense and (2) aren't you setting yourself up for a heart attack? I don't think you are supposed to puke when you swim, even when pushing yourself quite hard, except very very occasionally in hypothetical swims such as mine,

and had I done a few more long training swims and chosen different energy supplements I am quite sure I would not have puked.

So, first, I am concerned for your health, and, second, it's not very nice to puke on people or puke regularly if you're doing it to feel macho, not that I mean that as a criticism, but I really don't think you should be doing so much regular puking. That's not what swimming is about. IMHO, as they say.:bolt:

jeremyc
August 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I've seen someone puke in the gutter.

When I swam in High School, I threw up after a lot of races, but I always made it to the bathroom to do it. We didn't have warm-up or warm-down lanes in those days.

Maybe that's why when I was 17 I was 6'1" and 150 pounds.