PDA

View Full Version : We are here in Indy now!

Donna
August 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I figured I would start this thread since so many of us are here from Georgia. So far Rob Copeland, Betty Veater, Ginny Kittles, Lou Stephens, Vicky Young and myself have arrived and gone to our hotel rooms to rest.

Looking forward to getting in a workout today and getting used to the pool.

Donna
August 6th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Georgia Masters started off the first day of the meet strong. I will run the results down in order of their first appearance:

After doing only 2 events I managed a so so time on the 400 IM and 2 personal bests. How do you ask can one do this with only 2 swims? I went a PB on the 100 Fly in my 400 IM(that explains the slower 400 IM time), then followed up with a 5th place and a PB in the 200 Back.

Vicky Young in her first ever nationals had a great race going on the 50 Fly, those last 5 meters she hit the wall figuratively. Next up for her will be alot of relays on Saturday. She is up for the challenge and we, those on her relays, will be trying really hard to help her get her first medal at this meet.

Bob Bugg had some fantastic swims beginning with the 200 Back placing 4th and took 1st place in the 200 Free. Way to wrack up the points for Georgia Masters Bob!

Walter Lean managed a 10th place finish in the 200 Back.

George Gfroerer had a great 200 Back finishing 3rd in a really tough race.

John Zeigler finally made it to the pool in time to swim his 100 Breast placing 6th.

Justus Baird managed to hang on to 10th in the 100 Breast, while Ray Huebshmann dropped time on his 100 Breast in a tough age group.

Richard Dixon held on to 7th in the 100 Breast for his age group.

Ginny Kittles managed to squeek into 10th place for her 100 Breast in another tough age group race.

Betty Veater had a nice time drop on her 100 Breast for 5th place and way to go girl breaking 3 minutes in the 200 Free for 3rd!

Rob Copeland had a great 200 Free with a 10th place finish.

Irwin Stolz dominated his age group in the 200 Free taking 1st and leaving the field half a pool length behind him!

Lou Stephens while feeling under the weather did a great job finishing 6th in the 200 Free.

Time for bed now, we have a long day of racing tomorrow. GO GEORGIA MASTERS!!!!

Donna
August 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
World Record Alert! Once again I will recap Georgia Masters swimmers in order of their appearance.

Leading us off was Lou Stephens with a 6th place in the 400 Free. She was still under the weather but feeling better than yesterday. She came back later and swam the 100 Free for a 5th place finish.

Betty Veater had a great negative split 400 Free and a 4th place finish.

In the 200 Fly Rob Copeland had a strong swim and a 4th place finish.

John Zeigler had a solid swim with a 5th place finish and he finished up with a 7th in the 50 Breast.

On the womens side I managed a less painful 200 Fly and a 7th place finish.

Justus Baird and Ray Huebschmann both swam well in the 50 Breast.

Richard Dixon placed 9th in the 50 Breast.

Ginny Kittles had a great 50 Breast but was just out of the medals.

Goerge Gfroerer placed 3rd in the 100 Back.

Bob Bugg had a fantastic 100 Free breaking the World Record with a 54.94. Tomorrow he will have 2 opportunities to break the 200 Free World Record leading off the 800 Free Relays. Good Luck tomorrow and CONGRATULATIONS!

Irwin Stolz was once again waaayyyy ahead of the heat in the 100 Free for a great 1st place finish.

Tomorrow is relay day and Georgia will have 16 relays going. If we stay legal everyone should bring home a medal! That was Walter Leen's goal in putting this together.

Donna
August 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Relay Day, truly a team effort.

Starting off the day was the Mens 800 Free A Relay in the 240-279 age group with Bob Bugg, Irwin Stolz, John Teel and Rob Copeland taking 3rd place (state and zone record), the B relay of Justus Baird, Walter Leen, Richard Dixon and Ray Huebschmann took 8th.

Next up was the Womens 800 Free A Relay in the 200-239 age group with Vicky Young, Ginny Kittles, Betty Veater and Donna Hooe taking 7th(state record).

The Mens 400 Medley Relay in the 240-279 age group with John Teel, Justus Baird, Rob Copeland and Walter Leen placed 5th(state record), while in the 280-319 age group George Gfroerer, Hal Stolz, John Zeigler, and David Miller placed 4th(state record).

The Womens 400 Medley Relay in the 200-239 age group with Vicky Young, Ginny Kittles, Donna Hooe and MaryLou Stephens placed 5th(state record).

The Mens 200 Free Relay in the 240-279 age group with Richard Dixon, Ray Hueschmann, Justus Baird, and Walter Leen placed 7th. In the 280-319 age group the team of Hal Stolz, Irwin Stolz, George Gfroerer, and Bob Bugg (young whipper snapper or ringer) took 2nd(state and zone record).

Next up was a fast Mixed 800 Free Relay in the 200-279 age group with Bob Bugg attempting to break the 200 Free world record but just falling short (gave us a great lead though), Betty Veater, Donna Hooe and Rob Copeland placing 4th(state record, broke zone but were beaten by SYSM also in our zone).

The Mens 400 Free Relay in the 280-319 age group with Hal Stolz, George Gfroerer, John Zeigler and David Miller took 1st place(state record)!

The Mixed 400 Free Relay in the 200-239 age group with Donna Hooe, Betty Veater, Rob Copeland and Bob Bugg took 5th place(state record).

In the Mens 200 Medley Relay the A Relay of George Gfroerer, Hal Stolz, John Zeigler, and David Miller placed 4th(state record), while the B Relay of Richard Dixon, Ray Huebschmann, John Teel, and Irwin Stolz took 6th.

To finish us out for the day the Mixed 400 Medley Relay of David Miller, Ginny Kittles, John Zeigler and Betty Veater placed 5th(state record).

Over all a very successful medal haul for the day.

Peter Cruise
August 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Donna- your group owes you several tall cold ones for your sterling efforts collecting their results!

Lump
August 8th, 2009, 08:00 PM
How come Keith Berryhill does swim as part of the GA Super Team and is listed as RAYS? I just thought if you are on a GA (or whatever state) you'd be part of that states super team?

Donna
August 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
The Stingrays did not join up with the Georgia Super team, nor have a couple of others. We have been talking with them about joining us especially for Nationals in Atlanta if not for the long haul so they can do relays with us.

The Water Jocks have a few here but not enough to have relays and the same with the Stingrays. Georgia usually has enough to put together a few relays but this time Walter Leen recruited a bunch of his team to come so there were LOTS of relays.

During a normal year Bob Bugg, Rob Copeland, Francine Williamson and myself are the regulars for Nationals and during long course season Betty Veater, Ginny Kittles and Lou Stephens join us along with a few others here and there. Usually we can put together a few good relays each year. Sometimes we place and other times we don't. It is just fun to compete as a team, plus when someone else is depending on you, you tend to push harder and go faster!

Donna
August 8th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Donna- your group owes you several tall cold ones for your sterling efforts collecting their results!

This is the easy part!

Lump
August 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info Donna. I'm thinking of starting to train with Stingrays since I'm at the point after a year of training myself that I have a hard time pushing myself. I may train with them but will likely keep my registration as Dynamo for the very reason of the GA team.

BTW, Keith Switzer was my college coach and he's 3 for 3 in the 45-49 age group with 2 WR's so far!!! :applaud:

Donna
August 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
If you are training with the Stingrays work on getting Keith to sign the team up under the Georgia Masters Team this year, I have had Bob Bugg working on him too since they were rooming together at Nationals and Bob did relays Keith didn't but we could have used him.

Donna
August 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM
The fourth day of competition brings with it alittle sadness as most of our team members head home. Staying for distance day are Betty Veater, Vicky Young, Lou Stephens, Rob Copeland, Bob Bugg, Irwin Stolz, and myself.

Today we began with the mens 400 Free.

Bob Bugg had a great 400 Free today and a 1st place finish. His stroke looks so effortless.

Rob Copeland had a solid 400 Free today and placed 6th in the 100 Fly, one of his favorite events. Good job!

Of course Irwin Stolz just devistated his competition in the 400 Free and another 1st place finish.

John Zeigler took 6th in the 200 Breaststroke, while Justus Baird placed 9th in his 200 Breast.

I think if your last name is Stolz you should just call them FAST! Hal Stolz pull in a 2nd place finish in the 200 Breast and followed up with another 2nd in the 100 Fly.

On the womens side Ginny Kittles took 4th in the 200 Breast and Betty Veater placed 5th in her age group. They both admitted they liked us yelling for them at the turns.

In the 50 Free George Gfroerer finished 5th and placed 3rd in the 50 Back with some tough competition.

Richard Dixon had good 50 Free and 50 Back swims.

While I did fine in my 50 Free for a distance swimmers attempt at sprinting.

Vicky Young got back into action today and swam a good 50 Back.

Up for tomorrow we have the 1500 Free and 800 Free events. Stick around for those results.

WPSWIMS
August 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I am glad to see how well GAJA did. I have not been swimming much. Glad SC Nationals is late in May! This will give me extra time at the end of ski season to train at altitude before Nationals! I will see you in May...I will be in Atlanta for Thanksgiving, so I will drop in at SA (Sugarloaf), Dynamo, and Emory! I am looking for a place to stay closer to town or share a room , since my son lives in Lawrenceville and I do not want to get stuck in traffic and miss my warm up or event!
Do you have any idea of order of events? Hope 1000 free is first!

Donna
August 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
The last day of the meet is here and now the let down from all of the excitement. Rob Copeland is bringing home the 9th place regional team banner for Georgia Masters.

First up today we had MaryLou Stephens and Irwin Stolz in the same heat of the 1500 Free.

Irwins timer had miss counted and while his wife continued to count for him I made a run to the other end of the pool to see why they were ringing the bell too early. Once I showed the timer Irwin doesn't swim a 100 in 1 minute, he swam his error and we again rang the bell for him on the proper lap. Of course he placed 1st in his age group.

Lou had a little difficulty during her swim and almost stopped but she rolled over and did back stroke until she felt better and then got cranking again. She managed a 2nd place even with the delay.

I was up next and had a good swim placing 6th.

Rob Copeland had a large number of cheerleaders for his swim, he looked strong and overtook one of the swimmers in his heat(and age group) near the end and collected 3rd place.

Next we changed gears and got started with the 800 free's. First up was Betty Veater who had a wonderful swim and came up with 2nd place.

We ended the meet with a blazing fast swim by Bob Bugg. I would just like to pump alittle of that speed in my swims. Bob of course placed 1st and was 2nd over all in the event. Way to show those kids how to do it.

Donna
August 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
A quick review of the Marietta Stingrays and the Atlanta Water Jocks.

Both teams had swimmers who did very well at Nationals.

Keith Berryhill from the Marietta Stingrays tied for 2nd in the 50 Free, 3rd in the 100 Free, 3rd in the 200 Free, 3rd in the 400 Free and 1st in the 1500 Free. He had so many cheerleaders at the end of his lane for 1500 Free he couldn't help but WIN!

From the Atlanta Water Jocks we had Steve Mortimer placing 2nd in the 100 Back, 1st in the 200 Back, 2nd in the 50 Fly, 1st in the 100 Fly, and 1st in the 200 IM. WOW!

Bart Graham had some great swims in the 50 Free and 100 Free, he placed 2nd in the 50 Back, 3rd in the 100 Back and 3rd in the 200 Back. Good showing.

Last but not least for the Water Jocks was Bob Couch who placed 3rd in the 200 Free, 4th in the 400 Free, 2nd in the 1500 Free, 4th in the 200 IM and 4th in the 400 IM.

Over all Georgia swimmers had a very successful meet and once again everyone came home with a medal.

bergsteiger
August 30th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Great stuff. Thanks for posting, Donna. Very sorry that my financial situation precluded me from going. On the bright side I am eligible for the post 9/11 GI bill so grad school is free which means I should be able to start swimming/travelling again. At any rate, sounds like you all had a good time.