PDA

View Full Version : You heard it from me first!

GGS5T
August 6th, 2009, 10:03 AM
"The new swimsuit rules do not apply to Masters."

Kind Regards,
Ciara BYRNE
Coordinator Masters
FINA Office
Av. de l'Avant-Poste 4
1005 Lausanne
Switzerland

thewookiee
August 6th, 2009, 10:11 AM
"The new swimsuit rules do not apply to Masters."

Kind Regards,
Ciara BYRNE
Coordinator Masters
FINA Office
Av. de l'Avant-Poste 4
1005 Lausanne
Switzerland

When did you get this response? Did you inquiry about it? When will the make it official for the rest of the masters swimmers around the world to see?

I would prefer to see something official from FINA on their website or from usms.

Gail Roper
August 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM
The suits were banned because of the advantages they provided to some swimmers and not others, causing an unfair situation. I don't think Masters should allowed this and FINA rules should apply.

gull
August 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
The suits were banned because of the advantages they provided to some swimmers and not others, causing an unfair situation. I don't think Masters should allowed this and FINA rules should apply.

I don't think that fairness had anything to do with it. The suits were contributing to an unprecedented number of world records, so FINA chose to ban them altogether rather than place restrictions on the technology as the governing bodies of other sports have done in the past.

Whether or not the ban extends to Masters swimming is irrelevant at this point, as the manufacturers will cease production.

thewookiee
August 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Whether or not the ban extends to Masters swimming is irrelevant at this point, as the manufacturers will cease production.

I wonder if Blueseventy would be willing to continue to make suits, since they are an official sponsor of USMS. Maybe Deano could provide some insight, if he is lurking on the forum.

Rich Abrahams
August 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
In a private correspondence with Dean about a week ago he assured me that Blueseventy would still make the suits for masters if they were deemed legal. Deano, care to confirm?

Rich

GGS5T
August 6th, 2009, 11:08 AM
When did you get this response? Did you inquiry about it? When will the make it official for the rest of the masters swimmers around the world to see?

I would prefer to see something official from FINA on their website or from usms.

I have a couple of contacts on the FINA committee. It will be on the FINA website in due course.

This is great news for me. I love the suits.

thewookiee
August 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I have a couple of contacts on the FINA committee. It will be on the FINA website in due course.

This is great news for me. I love the suits.

Ok. Will look for it there. I don't care so much for the poly suits but I do like my arena powerskin bodysuit circa 2007 and my fs pro bodysuit.

Gail Roper
August 6th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I don't see how people can ethically justify wearing a suit that gives an advantage over another competitor. The tech suits have to go.

hofffam
August 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I don't see how people can ethically justify wearing a suit that gives an advantage over another competitor. The tech suits have to go.

It isn't unethical if other swimmers can also wear the same approved suit. If they choose not to - that is their choice.

Gail Roper
August 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM
The same tech suit will benefit one swimmer more than another, giving an advantage. That's the problem.

DPC
August 6th, 2009, 12:07 PM

I don't have a tech suit, nor am I in a position to get one at this point - but I don't see that tech suits advantage or disadvantage one swimmer from another, unless one is wearing a suit and the other is not because the non wearer is not allowed to wear one. I think the suits should stay - maybe not the pure polyu suits, but really look at the technology as a whole and finding a balance. Prices will come down and they wioll be more affordable like everything else - still the swimmer is always going to be 98%-99% of the performance. At the master's level you have varous levels of skill and competitive nature. We all have access to the suits now (while they are "legal" if we choose to pay - and hopefully get the suit that maximizes our own performance. Will buying a LZR or a Jaked suit now make me a top ten swimmer - NO. If I get to the point of knocking on that door and if that acheivement means enough to me - then I'll weigh that cost.

As for Masters not following FINA rules on suits - let the USMS and the swimmer's decide (I'd prefer not to shave - although I would imagine I'm not close to Wookie, I am a bit on the wooly side), with the caveat that we know any records set or top ten swims in those non-Fina approved suits will not count in FINA. Swims 2, 3 and 4 in relays don't count as records because of the flying start advantage. We are all old enough, and are not delusional enough that a simple item of plastic/fabric and chemicals will make us into superswimmers beyond comprehension.

hofffam
August 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The same tech suit will benefit one swimmer more than another, giving an advantage. That's the problem.

Is this documented and proven to be true? I didn't see anything written in FINA's statements.

There have been many discussions here about who benefits most from a tech suit. I think some believe they help less accomplished swimmers more than elite swimmers. Yet all statements seem to be anecdotal at best.

Who would benefit most from a Jaked? Or a B70? Or a LZR?

For now they are all available and can be purchased for half the price of a decent bicycle or less.

orca1946
August 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Only world class swimmers can set records - with or without those suits !

thewookiee
August 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Only world class swimmers can set records - with or without those suits !

HUH??????

Swimmy83843
August 6th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Why don't we stop limiting all technology in our sport. If you want a suit to help you, why can't we just use flippers? they are cheeper, easier to get a hold of, so everyone has access to them. We really need to embrace all technology that will make us fast. Because that is what is really important, how fast we can go reguardless of what we are wearing on our hand, feet, or body.

3strokes
August 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM
It isn't unethical if other swimmers can also wear the same approved suit.

Won't that suit get worn out quickly if other swimmers also wear it (and isn't there a question of hygiene involved here)?

david.margrave
August 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
So does this mean we should stockpile a lifetime worth of blue 70s for when they go out of production, but are still legal for masters?