PDA

View Full Version : Wrist/forearm tendinitis

chlorini
August 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I swam a 5-mile open water race last weekend, and about an hour afterward, I began having a lot of pain in my wrist/forearm whenever I move my wrist or thumb. It's been four days, and the pain hasn't improved at all. I tried to swim on it yesterday, but it was too painful so I just kicked. My husband thinks it's tendinitis. Can you get tendinitis from one harder and longer than usual swim? If that's what it is, how long will it take to go away? Should I be doing anything other than ice and ibuprofen? Thanks for your help!

orca1946
August 6th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ice & rest now. No I don't think 1 time will do that. Maybe you sprained something.

Speedo
August 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
An hour afterwards is odd. I've had intense pain issues in those areas but they did not surface until a few days afterward. The culprit was digging. Like, digging in the dirt. The hammering of the shovel into the red clay caused my wrist/forearm tendons to swell extremely uncomfortably and gave me problems for weeks afterward. Were you doing anything in the days beforehand that the swim maybe put you over the edge? Just a thought.

chlorini
August 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM
In case it helps anyone in the future, my doctor diagnosed de Quervain's tenosynovitis. He said one swim wouldn't cause it. It's an overuse injury that must have been brewing for awhile. It is probably caused from catching the water with my thumb extended to the side.

Alexander Hughes
August 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Did he say what the treatment would be for you? Google search said it can range anywhere from surgery to just immobilizing the wrist for a couple weeks.

Hope you're doing better soon!

chlorini
August 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for asking Alexander. For now, he has me in a wrist brace and taking 800 mg of ibuprofen three times a day (which is a ton, I know!). He wants to check me in two weeks and see if he needs to do a cortisone injection. He didn't mention surgery so hopefully that won't be needed! I already miss swimming!

Alexander Hughes
August 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I can imagine. I just started swimming again a few weeks ago after being out of the water for close to 4 years. Last week the rec center at my local college closed the pool for 8 days for staff training and cleaning. I about went nuts the whole last week waiting for it to open earlier today.

Hopefully the ibuprofen will take care of the pain, and the brace helps the healing process. Hopefully all goes well and you'll be back in the water in no time.

msgrupp
August 15th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I'm another "victim" of dequervain's but I got mine from doing a twisting motion with my wrist much like opening a stuck pickle jar up to 100 times a day.

Did the splint thing, I think I had an injection but finally had the surgery. Not too bad--small 1 1/2" to 2" incision on the radial (thumb) side of the wrist just about where the wrist bends. Recovery was just a few weeks--a little longer to regain the strength.

lefty
August 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I got this right after I hit puberty...

Seriously though I am glad you posted this. This has happened to me a few times in the past year so I started stretchng my thumbs. Do so at your own risk but it has worked for me.